Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2006, 11:14   #61
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

CSY-
That might mean nmore to Rick than it does to me. I don't know what regulator you have on the boat, buy at 14.1V either it has reduced output because it is no longer bulk charging, or because your temperature is too hot. Or, there's a problem. Dunno which, knowing the temp & knowing the regulator's intended profile might help. Is the difference significant? Well, what you've got is either right or not-quite-right, but IIRC that was how the whole wuetion started, one of your chargers say the other isn't quite right.<G>

I'm surprised that 14.4 would shut down the reefer compressor & SSB though. I recognize the SSB but have a block (SMACK! Reset. SMACK! Reset!) on the name, couldn't double check that. Most of them are specified as something like "13.8 volts plus or minus 10%" for "mobile" operations, where 14.4 is in fact the norm and 14.8 is sometimes found, convenient since there is overvoltage protection (like zener diodes) cheaply available for 15V exactly. In fact, some of Icom's equipment is known to get downright unstable with a paltry 12."+"V, when they say it wants 13.8, it really WANTS 13.8.

I guess that's the down side to 'smart' electronics...you never can be sure what the nasty wee silicon creatures are plotting to do behind your back. Or, even in plain sight.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 20:01   #62

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
CSY Man

Sorry, I don't think that I've made the point: Your shore charger should be set to "cold" not "hot". It is your alternator regulator that is set too LOW, not your shore charger. The fact that your batteries are accepting a charge when the shore charger is set at a HIGHER acceptance voltage (when the temperature is set to LOW) shows that your batteries are not getting sufficiently charged at the lower voltage from your alternator regulator setting. Get it?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 20:07   #63

When the shore charger is set to "LOw" the voltage is higher than when it is set to a "High" (meaning temperature). When the temperature is set low the voltage must be high when the temp is high the volgtage must be lower (generally speaking).
Old 26-09-2006, 20:10   #64

Using the temperature control for a charger you can alter the voltage to get around the fact that the charger may not give you a direct voltage deviation control.
Old 30-09-2006, 12:49   #65
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
Get it?
Got it.

Quote:
When the temperature is set low the voltage must be high when the temp is high the volgtage must be lower (generally speaking).
Got that too. Which is the reason I set the temp switch as per the manufactors recommedation.
To do the exact opposite because some guy on the internet said so does not seem prudent. That being said, I am going to double check that the batteries get fully charged with the switch set on HIGH as per the instructions. So far I have no indication that they are not:
Keept the 12.8 resting voltage for hours, kind of indicates fully charged batteries.

Quote:
Using the temperature control for a charger you can alter the voltage to get around the fact that the charger may not give you a direct voltage deviation control.
All understood, loud and clear.

Now in Anchorage, Alaska for a few days and unable to play with my 12 Volt system for a while, but all the comments are appreciated.