Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2016, 13:44   #16

Re: AC breaker tripping

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Can not turn on the air conditioning as the Bus B breaker trips within a couple seconds of shutting the breaker for either air con fed or aft. The Bus B is 30 amp and others are 25 & 15, which makes think the problem is the Bus B breaker

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sounds like your compressor or the capacitors starting it have died since running it 5 years ago. Simply ohm out the electrical lines gong to the compressor and see if you have open circuits that would be telling you there is a problem there. To double check, hook something of equal amp draw to the same circuit breaker and see if it blows.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 13:47   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

that's the way to read a thread
Old 21-04-2016, 14:04   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I think the inverter generator (Honda 2000 type) is really hot on both the hot and common side so using "
There are a number of posts online about portable generators (including the Honda's) and what the proper procedure is for using them in "ungrounded" installations, i.e. marine or portable use where the neutral and ground may or may not be connected to each other, and when a "true" ground may not exist.
There are reasons to do it both (either) way, including electrocution risks. As long as you're comfortable with the setup and understand what might happen, whatever floats your boat.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 14:10   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
In case someone searches for a similar problem (because everyone searches for answers before starting a new thread):

I think the inverter generator (Honda 2000 type) is really hot on both the hot and common side so using something like this plugged into my boats shore power connection causes it to trip
You found the different between an inverter generator (or just an inverter) and normal 120/240v US shore power. Shore power is split phase at 110V on each hot leg and a neutral center tap. The center tap being located at the zero crossing or 0V. The hot leg alternates from -60V to +60 volts giving 120V hot leg to ground. But an inverter or a inverter generator in this case, is a full wave in that both legs carry voltage. Just as you found out.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote