Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 04:52   #16

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: AC battery charger working properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcdonagh View Post
I purchased a fancy name brand (Sxxrs) 6/12v battery charger & Engine starter to maintain my deep cycle batteries through the winter months. It has a stated capability of charging the following battery types: standard 12v, 12v deep cycle, 12v AGM/Gel and 6v standard batteries. I am following the manufacturers directions for charging my Sears DieHard 27M Marine/RV deep cycle battery. When the charger is set to 2 amp trickle charge, 12 amp fast or 30 amp rapid, the voltage slowly rises through 14.5 volts and levels out at 15.5 volts over 30 minutes or so. The voltage never drops over time. I have confirmed this with a multimeter and my Balmar Smart gauge displays an overvoltage error. Is my charger operating properly?

Can't tell about yours, but I have an older model Sears charger in our garage at home that sounds similar.

The charging modes on mine (6V, 12V trickle, 12V medium, 12V high/start) are selectable, and then they respond to a (up to) 2 hour timer that also has a hold function.

None of those modes do anything other than that they say. 12V high/start, for example, cranks itself up to about 14.8V and stays there for either a timer-controlled 2 hours or on hold forever. Neither 12V high/start nor 12V medium fall off to a trickle charge all by themselves.

That's pretty much what our manual says our charger is supposed to do.

-Chris
Old 01-04-2017, 05:40   #17

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: AC battery charger working properly?

Any multi-stage marine charger will maintain batteries over the winter if they have no load. A 10A Promariner or similar will work. The key is they have to go into float mode which auto chargers don't do. Defender.com has many units in this class on sale right now. Prices range from about $100 to $200 depending on features. Any of them will keep your batteries topped up all winter. Don't forget to water the batteries or use an automatic watering system.

If you have battery loads running all winter (lights, Internet modem, etc.) than a smarter charger may be required.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balmar, battery, charger, deep cycle