Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 15:03   #1
GWB

Boat: Westsail 32
ABYC Electrical certification

I have joined the ABYC and paid for and received a study guide (Electrical certification version 3.22.10)
Because we live in a remote area and time and money is limited I have opted to use the study guide to prepare for the test which will be proctored at our local library.
My question to anyone still reading, and has taken the test is how effective is the study guide in preparing one for the exam? I have 25 years in the electrical trade as an industrial controls supervisor, but have little idea about what type of questions will be in the exam. If anyone who has sat this exam recently could comment I would sure appreciate a clue as to what to expect.
Thanks in advance...
Cross posted on Sailnet
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 15:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: ABYC Electrical certification

There's nothing in the exam that's not in Standard E-11.

Good on ya, and good luck!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 16:08   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB View Post
I have joined the ABYC and paid for and received a study guide (Electrical certification version 3.22.10)
Because we live in a remote area and time and money is limited I have opted to use the study guide to prepare for the test which will be proctored at our local library.
My question to anyone still reading, and has taken the test is how effective is the study guide in preparing one for the exam? I have 25 years in the electrical trade as an industrial controls supervisor, but have little idea about what type of questions will be in the exam. If anyone who has sat this exam recently could comment I would sure appreciate a clue as to what to expect.
Thanks in advance...
Cross posted on Sailnet
If you don't have the real world practical experience in marine systems then the test could be hard. There is lots on electrical theory, some questions purposely try to trick you (be very careful in how you read a question) and the test is timed so you really need to know the information to move through it.

IIRC it was about 4 hours. I took my test at one of the better boat building schools in the country, where this was the students final exam. A fair number paid 40 grand for the school and did not pass on the first round.

The study guide helps but I would urge you to take the course with Ed Sherman if you don't have the hands on practical experience in marine systems.
Old 04-05-2013, 14:03   #4

I agree with MS.

The study guide covers all the ABYC spec knowledge you'll need for the test. The ABYC's assumption is that you already have some theoretical and practical knowledge before taking the test. Since you do, and if you put in some study time and work some practice questions, you should be able to pass.

I did the week-long Electrical course with the certification test at the end, in 2010. As well as being great prep for the test, Ed Sherman brings a wealth of knowledge of current issues and practices, and it was informative to spend the time with other practitioners. For me it was time and money well spent.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 14:15   #5
GWB

Boat: Westsail 32

Thanks for the feedback. It wasn't too hard... The question wording was a bit sneaky in places!
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
certification, electrical