Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 07:39   #1

A little Turbine help please

Winters coming on , I intend to use this time setting up a wind power system. Ive looked over so many data sheets my eyes want to bleed. I think i found my solution , But now im 2nd guessing myself and would like eyes that have already done this to look over my findings.

1st Ive picked a All in 1 controller board {pre-Fab} with built in Divert load fuse box and inverter , that allows up to 4 turbines to be attached for a max load of 10,000W.

2nd Batteries , im thinking Trojan RE 2v 1110AH , there not bad price wise and i cant find 1 bad word about them anywhere. 2 sting of 6 should more than cover my power needs.
TOTAL 12V 2220 AH

3rd for Turbines i was looking at the Missouri raider 1600w max out put units , i think i will need 2 units, With 14MPH winds these units were putting out 1100W {this i got to see for myself , as a friend of a friend is using these units}

Ive figured my Max usage to never be higher than 1900 W , and avg usage to be closer to 800 W
There is to be nothing on the boat AC powered , everything is 12v DC frige, pumps, lights, tv. everything

Am I Close to my mark for needs, Have I over shot?
Thanks for the help.
Farfanugon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:01   #2

Boat: Bertram 46.6 FBMY
The plan sounds nice. as for the batteries. At 119 pounds per battery, and having 6 at their size.. You have the room on your vessel ???

Alan
Hkalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:19   #3

Re: A little Turbine help please

well i was told 1110 AH was far to small of a storage bank, So i have to make cut backs where i can to handle the weight .
My original plan for back up power was 4) 6V 225 AH cells for a 12V 450AH max, which would be a ez fit and allow me to step up my water tank">fresh water tank to 50 gal over 22.5 its at now.

Sadly everyone that had looked over my plans, has sworn to me i need as close to 2,000 AH as i can get
Old 09-10-2012, 08:37   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

The amp hours of batteries installed needs to be based on your electrical usage, not the charging capacity.

You say max usage estimated 1900 W? I assume you mean your max total use in 24 hours so max less than 160 amp hours from your batteries in a day?

If that is correct then you should be able to get by with 650-700 amp hours of battery capacity. Can't imagine you would need much more than 1000 amp hours.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 14:07   #5

Heres what im working with, Maybe i left out to much info.
always on
refrigerator 12v 550 watt
pumps x5 {stand by power} 4w each 20w
radio 12v 120watts
Laptop 12v 90W {over powered do to running equipment threw laptop,to negate extra monitors} 22.5w sleep mode
Wifi antenna w/ Router 25w

4-5 hours on a day are
lighting inside 3w LED bulb x 8 24w
fans x 2 55w 110w
lighting outside 10W led flood light x4 40w

used less than 1 hour a day

Microwave 1440 watt
water pump active 90w
toaster 1440 watt
coffee maker 900 watt
water heater 1100 {Used 10min a day max} tankless

I was told total wattage used a day divided buy 12 {the power voltage} = roughly the amount of AH needed.

maybe i miss understood, and its KWH or WH divided by 12 to = AH needed? If its WH and not total wattage ,I can get by with a much much smaller bank.
Old 09-10-2012, 14:16   #6

Boat: Niagara 35
I think you need to drop everything and buy a link monitor and measure your actual typical usage in amp-hours per day. It looks like you shouldn't have more than about 150 that equipment. That would be more like 500 amp hours of batteries.

The rig you're describing could run a small town.

Also remember that rated Watts vs actual usage is totally different, and many items are only on for second at a time, so they may have high amps but low amp-hours per day.
Old 10-10-2012, 16:34   #7

thanks Cwyckham , i just ordered a link monitor. Id not taken into account the "Rated" wattage can very greatly from the "usage" Wattage.

Its the need for a refrigerator that was killings my Wattage usage. Beings it its self uses greater that 50% of my power, After reading your suggestion and a bit of follow up searching ive found the refrigerator is the appliance with the greatest deviation between "Rated " and "usage" watts.
Old 10-10-2012, 20:47   #8

Boat: Niagara 35

I have a new Nova Kool 12V, danfoss compressor based refrigerator. The icebox is large, top openning, and poorly insulated (at least compared to some). It uses about 25 Ah per day in a temperate climate (taking into account a 1/3 duty cycle). Also by far my largest user of electricity. During a sunny day, my old and inefficient 80W solar panel keeps up to it, but I need to use the batteries at night.

Just for reference, if I don't use heat, I use about 40-70 Ah per night at anchor running LED anchor light and reading lights, the fridge, stereo, water pump, and laptop. The laptop's the biggest variable (we're running it off the inverter which probably doesn't help).

It isn't uncommon to see 100-150 Ah, and some of your electric galleyware will push you up in that direction, depending on how often you use it (may want to look at a french press for coffee)

The link monitor will be your friend! Great for trouble shooting and understanding where your amps are going so you can modify equipment or behaviour appropriately.

The two problems with the formula you were given (total watts-hours divided by 12 = Ah) are, as we said earlier, the difference between rated wattage and actual and also the very high importance of knowing how many minutes per day you're using the device. You've done a good job of breaking things up into categories by usage time, but even that may not help much as the big amp users are all pretty hard to tell how much time they'll be used exactly.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote