Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2018, 16:41   #1

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
A little battery help?

I'm currently in Georgetown Exuma and have managed to put my old AGM batteries to death by not understanding a setting in my new solar controller a and severely overcharging them. The only house battery available to me is a single hybrid style deep cycle marine/rv battery which I know is not a proper deep cycle battery. I need to make it last six weeks until I return to the US. The battery does not have a proper amp/hr rating but I suspect that it is rated at about 160-170 Amp/hrs based on its reserve rating of 300 minutes which I have been told is a 25 amp rating. I use about 80 amp hours over night and have sufficient solar to charge the battery and carry the house loads during the day.

I'm not happy about the battery i bought either it has a manufacture date of march 2017 and was at only 12.27 volts sitting on the shelf. It did not seem to be taking a charge very fast as it would only take 25 amps when I started to charge it. I would have expected it to take at least 40 amps at that state of charge. Should I equalize it tomorrow? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to make this battery last six weeks and handle my house loads. I have generating capacity to charge everyday even without the solar so cloudy days are not an issue.

Thanks Bill
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 18:06   #2

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: A little battery help?

Do you have a hydrometer to test the cells? Or what's the voltage once you've brought it to full charge? That and you'll probably get a good idea of what it can take once you start watching the voltages during discharge.

Anyway you can bring down the overnight load?

Just spitballing form the sidelines here, but if you still have a reliable start battery and you'll be back in the states in 6 weeks the stakes aren't too high. Sorry to hear about the fried AGMs though.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 07:00   #3
Zil

Re: A little battery help?

After a long charge to dust the shelf time, I would do a equalizing charge. If you can keep the battery charged, you should be ok for a month or two. many use those marine batteries without much problem. Your 80 ah doesn't sound very much load to recover, if it is not any heavy ampere.
20 hour rating is usually interpreted as 1/2 reserve capacity.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery