Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2015, 06:25   #1

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
A good quality MPPT controller.

Need an MPPT controller capable of in-putting 800w @ 20vdc/12vdc output to 6 x Gr31 AGMs. Suggestions from experienced users.

Thanks.
Old 26-06-2015, 06:51   #2

Boat: 1968 29' Quorning Tri
Re: A good quality MPPT controller.

Could you give a few more details about the setup? Number of panels, type of panels, parallel or series, etc? I assume from your numbers you have a parallel setup, perhaps with 4 200W panels?

I'd imagine you'll want something like a TriStar MPPT 60A charge controller. Given 800w at 20v I'm coming up with 40 amps, but I assume you'll want some headroom for exceptionally cold days when output is higher.

If it were me and I had the cash to spare on extra controllers, I would probably have individual charge controllers per panel. It sounds to me like you already have a bigger parallel setup wired, and in that case, I'd probably pick the TriStar TS-MPPT-60 which from my prior research gets good reviews.

I selected a Solbian 112Q panel with a Genasun GV-10 for our Quorning Trimaran and we get around 7.8A @ 13.9V (108.42W) maximum on perfect days, but generally around 6.5A @ 13.9V (90.35W) on mostly sunny but not ideal days. This is enough to keep our 180AH bank topped off almost indefinitely in Denmark during the summer, with our only real consumption being a tiller based Simrad autopilot, a 40W Waeco freezer/fridge, plotter, LED masthead tri-color light, and USB charging port. We get down to around 70% of total bank after a full day and 4 hour evening under sail with the autopilot and fridge on, and usually back up to 95-98% by the end of the day.

That said, I don't have too much experience with the size of setup you're describing, but I'm pretty sure you'll be stuck deciding between either one quality 60A controller such as the TriStar or splitting the panels either individually or into smaller groups for multiple smaller controllers.
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 07:56   #3
Cat Cruiser

Community Sponsor

Victron energy makes some pretty big MPPT charge controllers that are quite good. The Victron Blue Solar MPPT 150/ 70 will handle the load - it's quite a large unit but it'll work.

The absolute best solution is one smaller charge controller per panel.

Hybrid Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 08:00   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

45 ft cat passing thru Bermuda en route to Med. Your presumption on the boat's set-up are correct. Agree, for safety and redundancy, should have banked controllers. Newly fiitted 30A unit fried before leaving Ft Lauderdale, and I am trying to get them on their way before the season deteriorates.

Will look at your Tri-Star unut. Thanks
Old 27-06-2015, 08:52   #5

I have been using the Outback 60 for years and love it. I am going to a bigger array now and may go up to the Outback 80. The new array will be on the roof of the new travel trailer. Will use the same battery bank: 12 size 13 2 volt AGM deep cycle bolted into two 12 volt, 630 AH batteries. Connected with two battery switches. The first selects with batty to connect to the boat. The second selects which battery to connect to the solar array. On the boat I used 910 watts of panel. two sets of two panels each, connected in series parallel. Never a problem in years.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 15:05   #6

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

It will depend slightly on what your panels are...

Having said that we have two (and may have 3 in the future) Blue Sky 2512ix controllers - they work well and I would recommend them. We bought them as the pricing at the time was better as they are not specific to marine, but can withstand the marine env.

Blue Sky Energy Inc. | Solar Boost 2512i-HV & 2512iX-HV
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 16:34   #7

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

I just spent a week on this subject the well made and most reasonable price is ether a Inronics MPPT 75 made in the US (this is possbly the best option as you can call them and sort out the best solution for your setup) or the very new Chinese Tracer here is the link .Tracer****BN-Products-solar charge controller—Beijing Epsolar Technology Co., Ltd ,

Good luck with it..
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 16:58   #8

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I have been using the Outback 60 for years and love it. I am going to a bigger array now and may go up to the Outback 80. The new array will be on the roof of the new travel trailer. Will use the same battery bank: 12 size 13 2 volt AGM deep cycle bolted into two 12 volt, 630 AH batteries. Connected with two battery switches. The first selects with batty to connect to the boat. The second selects which battery to connect to the solar array. On the boat I used 910 watts of panel. two sets of two panels each, connected in series parallel. Never a problem in years.
I second the Ouback recommendation. I found the user interface really nice to work with when setting it up. I love mine and I know at least 4 other long distance cruisers that swear by theirs also. It was actually their experience that made me source out an Outback controller when I put my system together in Panama.
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 18:56   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Didn't we have someone mention in another thread that the Blue Sky had set alight and burnt the boat?

What I do remember for a fact is someone saying he/she did not trust the Blue Sky. If interested, try the search.

I'd go for one of the four: Outback, Midnite solar, Morninstar, Genasun.
For a cheaper one (less quality) something else.

Plenty of threads and discussion here in the forum already, just use the search tool please.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 19:54   #10

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Outback 80. Why get anything else?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 08:08   #11

Boat: 1984 Catalina 36

I have been using an Outback 80 for about 5 or 6 years now on a home solar set up. Very pleased with the quality and features.
Old 28-06-2015, 08:25   #12

Boat: PT-11

Love my Midnite.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mppt