Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 13:30   #1

A/C Pump for Generator Raw Water

My boat has an Entec West generator that has been rigged to use an a/c water pump">raw water pump instead of the belt driven pump that was factory issue. I need to replace the pump and wonder what experience anyone else has had with this type setup. It has seemed to work except that I have to routinely bleed the system to get the pump (magnetic) to start pushing water through the generator.
Thanks
Sol Mates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:14   #2
cruiser

Boat: Power Cruiser: Free Agent
Re: A/C Pump for Generator Raw Water

I've used these for excellent results.
You can even dis-assemble them for cleaning.
automatic air vent valve,installed in under floor heating products, buy automatic air vent valve,installed in under floor heating products from alibaba.com
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 13:31   #3

Thanks. I also talked with Entec and they actually give this as an optional install. About to buy another March pump. Will rig up a bleeding mechanism to rid myself of that nuisance.
Old 09-05-2011, 13:51   #4

So how does that work, the gen starts makes ac current then runs the pump?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 13:58   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Jus' curious, why do you have to bleed the pump? A/C pumps are not self priming, and need to be mounted below the waterline level,-- correct?
Old 09-05-2011, 14:29   #6

Agreed, however, my intake isn't positioned as such to alow adequate flow without "goosing" the system, bleeding. Once I have done this and have the intake hose full it has worked fine. I plan on moving the location of the intake the next time I pull her but with a 24' beam there aren't any places close by that can accommodate so pulling is a big, big deal.
Old 09-05-2011, 14:36   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

March pumps work well in this type of installation. The reason people started doing this is that some of the older Onans had gear driven pumps. When the seal on the pump leaked, water got into the engine. After rebuilding the engine they replaced the on engine pump with a remote electric pump. On a belt driven pump this shouldn't be an issue. As long as the March pump is below the waterline, you shouldn't have to bleed it. If the intake hose, between the seacock and the pump, is routed higher than the pump, you might trap an air bubble at the high point. The intake hose should run slightly up hill from the seacock to the pump so that any air that enters the pickup will rise up through the pump and not get trapped.
Old 09-05-2011, 14:49   #8

OK. I'm listening to all of you and getting some pearls out of this post.
Thanks everyone
Old 01-06-2011, 14:20   #9

Boat: Privilege P43

I have a 5 kw Kohler genset and three air conditioners on my catamaran. They are all equipped with the same size 120VAC Cal Pump (MS900), which reduces the number of spares kept on the boat. Each one is mounted in the bilge just below the deck plates and draws about 2.5 amps. I just replaced the one on the genset after six years of operation.

For the genset application, the pump has a conventional 15 amp plug that can be connected to either the dedicated genset output receptacle or a receptacle fed by the inverter. The latter is for when the genset shuts down due to overheating because the strainer is full of grass. Running the pump off the inverter for a couple of minutes facilitates cooling the engine so that I can get it restarted quicker. Once it is running, I just replug the pump into the genset output receptacle. Have not had a problem with this configuration in more than 15 years.
emcmia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, raw water, raw water pump, water