Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2011, 11:00   #61

Boat: Seafarer 38
Thanks guys,

I am trying to juggle panel sizes right now and find ones that I have space for. Most of the 220 watt panels are BIG (68x40).
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 11:09   #62
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by engele
Thanks guys,

I am trying to juggle panel sizes right now and find ones that I have space for. Most of the 220 watt panels are BIG (68x40).
I find the only good places, in order of goodness:

1. On top of a stern arch
2. On top the bimini
3. On the lifeline/stanchions in a flip up/down configuration

Looks like #3 would work for you.

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 11:23   #63

Number 3 is really all I have left. I could remove the 60 watts on the Bimini though. How big do you think a panel can be attached to a stanchion and not be difficult to work with? Also how far forward would you mount them in that configuration?
Old 29-12-2011, 11:34   #64
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by engele
Number 3 is really all I have left. I could remove the 60 watts on the Bimini though. How big do you think a panel can be attached to a stanchion and not be difficult to work with? Also how far forward would you mount them in that configuration?
The panel width should stay under the stanchion height of course. The length wouldn't matter and I think a single center support fromthe outside edge of the panel down to the toerail is enough.

I would mount max. two panels per side. May be you can put two panels on top of the bimini too? If so, you can make 3 sets of two panels in series and onnect then to a MPPT controller that supports the double voltage.

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 21:33   #65

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Re: 625ah Battery or 450ah and 400 Solar ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by engele View Post
Yeah, I have (but have yet to install) a Xantrex battery monitor. Maybe I'll do that this weekend. Doubling the house bank and adding more solar seems to make sense to me. We have been able to get by with 225ah, and if we double that and also increase our loads a bit as well as add solar I can't see how we wouldn't come out okay. Space for batteries and weight is another issue.
I had a 220 amp bank when i brought my new boat down the sea of cortez. Me and my crew killed that bank in 4 days, blaring lights and music, water pump, etc. I learned to live with stick on AA lights and headlamps quickly and said never again.

While back in the states the next summer I picked up 420 watts of panel that would fit on my wheelhouse roof, wiring and mppt controller. In Mexico I added four 160 amp batts for about $480. I now have 640 amp house bank, start batt, battery combiner, and the 420 watt feeder on the roof. I would have 1000 watts if I had the room, and when I can cover the coach roof and side decks and still work on 'em I will. I have been fixing and adding here at the dock for 4 months and haven't once turned on the ac charger. Get solar components or any high tech in el norte and batts in Mexico.
Old 06-05-2012, 21:48   #66

We ended up with a smaller house bank of very good AGMs (Odyssey 1800s) and an undersized solar array. More solar will happen when we get the chance. Solar is cheap now. I just wish I had done it before we left the USA, or at least Baja. Maybe I can get it done in Panama. Right now we have a 400 watt wind gen that does very little in Mexico (no wind here) and 200 watts of solar. I think I can fit three 240 watt panels over the dodger, but maybe only two and another two on our bimini. Next time I have an opportunity they are on the list.

Tags
battery