Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2014, 11:41   #16

Re: 3kw portable generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
He didn't say the genset was on his boat. It could have been on a dock just replacing lost shorepower.

But again, how many square feet of solar panels would be required to produce 3KW of power? And what about at night or cloudy days?
He said he installed it.

Who installs a generator on a dock?

Not that he needs 3KW of solar panels, but since you asked...

a 300w panel is about 39"x77." 10 of those would total about 208 sq ft.

Solar panels don't produce power at night, but they produce a surprising amount of power on cloudy days, probably between 50 and 75%.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 11:47   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Another option is a Honda or Yamaha with the remote start kit.

Then make a custom board to do the automatic starting. It would be pretty easy to do with and Arduino if you don't know how to make a custom board.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I've installed the remote start kit on a Honda 3000. It worked great, but eventually the power on the remote transmitter is going to go.

The best bet would be to modify the receiver to operate off of a wired input to start/stop it. It uses an RC servo to turn on the choke for a couple of seconds while the starter kicks over.

It's doable, but not everyone is as technically savvy as you. Remember, there are stil a lot of people out there with flashing "12:00" on their VCRs.
Old 21-12-2014, 11:53   #18

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
He said he installed it.

He didn't say where he installed it.

Who installs a generator on a dock? Well, a person who is counting on shore power to keep heat on in the boat during the winter might install a genset on a dock in case of a power failure.

The OP posted a very specific question with few details. He is looking for a 3KW automatic starting genset. He left the question of why up to speculation. Obviously, you and I are speculating differently.
Old 21-12-2014, 12:42   #19

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
I've installed the remote start kit on a Honda 3000. It worked great, but eventually the power on the remote transmitter is going to go.

The best bet would be to modify the receiver to operate off of a wired input to start/stop it. It uses an RC servo to turn on the choke for a couple of seconds while the starter kicks over.

It's doable, but not everyone is as technically savvy as you. Remember, there are stil a lot of people out there with flashing "12:00" on their VCRs.
Exactly.. The Arduino could feed the same pin that the receiver feeds to the micro on the remote start board at the appropriate times. The only hitch is if the Honda fobs are encrypted (rolling code). I doubt they are and just programmed code sent via pulses.

I agree some people aren't as tech savvy but I'm confident that anyone could figure out an Arduino. They will also learn a ton of useful things for future projects.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 12:48   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Exactly.. The Arduino could feed the same pin that the receiver feeds to the micro on the remote start board at the appropriate times. The only hitch is if the Honda fobs are encrypted (rolling code). I doubt they are and just programmed code sent via pulses.

I agree some people aren't as tech savvy but I'm confident that anyone could figure out an Arduino. They will also learn a ton of useful things for future projects.
I think boat owners in general learn to be McGyvers out of necessity, but I truly think you are way above that level of "DIY, build anything I need!"

By contrast, I'm not kidding when I tell you I know a LOT of people who don't know how to install a new battery in their car and will pay $300 to get a new $80 battery installed. Shocking, I know, but they keep a lot of lousy mechanics in business!

I haven't played with Arduinos, but I'll take your word for how easy they are to learn.
Old 23-12-2014, 06:35   #21

Sorry for the delay I wasn't near my computer. What I have is a magnum inverter, arc 50, and their ags system. I have it arranged where the above are in a carrying case, and I either hook up the 3kw on my boat or at home. I've looked at the Honda and the Yamaha but some action has to be performed either before you start it our after. the baldor worked perfect. I set my start up and shut down voltage times with the arc50 and everything else was automatic. my baldor was stolen, my fault, so I need a replacement. How I'm using it really isn't an issue, I like my set up, been using it for years.
tuberider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 07:46   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I know there are automatic back-up generators for your home that come on in the event of a power loss as my Father had one, his ran off of propane, but I do not know if they have one as small as a 3KW
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 08:07   #23

My set up is strictly stand alone. There is no shore power. I control the generator by the voltage of the batteries for charging.
Old 24-12-2014, 04:32   #24

how did a advertisement get into my thread?
Old 24-12-2014, 07:27   #25

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberider View Post
My set up is strictly stand alone. There is no shore power. I control the generator by the voltage of the batteries for charging.
It would have helped if you had explained this in your original post.

If you are only using the generator to charge batteries on a boat, you certainly don't need 3KW and your system is (was) overly complex and expensive as well as a little risky.

Why not a solar charging system to keep the batteries charged?
Old 24-12-2014, 07:46   #26

Boat: Outremer 50S

Or, if you don't want to build your own they already exist in pre-packaged form (as a third-party add-on), add to the generator of your choice. DC version (for a battery charging generator):

Magnum ME-AGS-N Automatic Generator Start Module 3-relay

Similar are around for AC, usually tied to an automatic transfer switch.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 08:31   #27

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

The hard part is getting the generator to start itself, not a $10 micro to monitor voltage and turn on a switch (which they want $260??)

From what little looking I did, the OP seems to be correct, the smaller ones can't do it for sure with pull-starts, you at least need an electric starter and then a solenoid to set the choke has to be added.
It looked like someone sold a kit to remote start an EU3000, which given that, it would not be hard to automate it by battery voltage.

3kw is a lot for just charging battery, but that looks the minimum for an electric start version. Is there a market for a small autostart generator?
For the right price, I can build one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Or, if you don't want to build your own they already exist in pre-packaged form (as a third-party add-on), add to the generator of your choice. DC version (for a battery charging generator):

Magnum ME-AGS-N Automatic Generator Start Module 3-relay

Similar are around for AC, usually tied to an automatic transfer switch.
Old 24-12-2014, 08:40   #28

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I know there are automatic back-up generators for your home that come on in the event of a power loss as my Father had one, his ran off of propane, but I do not know if they have one as small as a 3KW

Honda Propane Nat Gas EU3000IS "HX" Inverter Generator Whisper Quiet 786102003179 | eBay

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 12:18   #29

if the only thing the gen is doing is firing up a couple times a day to charge the batteries. which are feeding the inverter / charger. which is feeding some loads.

then solar seems like a way better idea to me.. unless the gen is running 10+ hours a day you wouldn't need much solar. the charger is only ~1000w so you'd be trying to meet 1000w output of the charger with panels, not the 3000w of the gen. (if the gen is only powering the charger then you have a waste of a gen and fuel)

if the gen is running 2 hours a day. 200ah of charging. divided by ~8 hours of sunlight is 25a. 400w of solar would do that most days.

though I'm guessing since it's such a secret setup and he won't tell us. it's powering his grow op and solar panels would give it away

if the AGS puts out voltage signals to start and stop a gen. and you have a gen with a key start / push button. it should be easy to hotwire the gen with some control relays to start and stop it. only issue would be choke
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 12:34   #30

Quote:
He said he installed it.

Not that he needs 3KW of solar panels, but since you asked...

a 300w panel is about 39"x77." 10 of those would total about 208 sq ft.

Solar panels don't produce power at night, but they produce a surprising amount of power on cloudy days, probably between 50 and 75%.
So if we assume 50% output based on cloudy days, that's around 416sft but round up to maybe 450sft or around 22'x22' area to produce 3kw.

Then there is the battery bank, assuming he wants to accomdate say a 16k btu A/C on a hot sticky night with 100% duty cycle, how big of a battery bank does he need.

Then what is the cost of an inverter capable of running the A/C? How much do the cables feeding the inverter cost?

I'm well aware of the costs already by the way. No way you can put in an equivilent system for the price of a 3kw generator. If all you want to do is run a few lights and charge a cell phone, solar/battery is a great option (we have that for our 12v side). Once you want to apply any heavy duty electrical loads that last for more than a couple minutes, generator is the way to go for both cost, capability and form factor.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator