Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2020, 05:36   #16

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: 3-way wire splice?

The heat shrink butt connectors often work well with 2 wires in 1 end. I've sometimes used a 1 size up and just folded over the end of the single wire to get a better crimp.

Never done it on the boat, but in cars, I've done a solder and heat shrink joint to join 3 wires. Twist the 3 together, solder, then heat shrink. Use the good heat shrink and I've never seen one of those joints fail.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 06:31   #17

Boat: New Horizons 25'

Scotchlok style connectors have worked well for me in the past, but I have no idea if they are ABYC compliant. link
They have a water resistant jelly inside and are often used, even underground, for low-voltage applications, such as sidewalk lights.
ForeverDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 07:12   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Step-Down Butt Splices work well.
NSCB-646, HEAT SHRINK BUTT CONNECTORS 12-10 GAUGE, 12-10 GA HEAT SHRINK TERMINALS, 12-10 GA. TERMINALS, TERMINALS - Terminal Supply Company - Product Detail

This example is 12-10 GA ➛TO➛ 16-14 GA, where both the run & tap fit the larger end, and the continuing run fits the smaller end.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 07:57   #19
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

As a guy who does this for a living, I have switched to the Wago Lever Nuts because they are quick, re-usable so the replacement of a fixture at a later date is trivial and they have a port for inserting a meter probe for voltage checks.

Soldering, doubling up on butt splices, step down butt splices, cap splices, or Scotchlocks do not offer these advantages.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 08:20   #20

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Sticking 2 wires in one end of a butt connector is sometimes ideal - many of the new LED fixtures come with such small gauge wire you can hardly get a crimp on it by itself. Laying it alongside a larger gauge wire in a butt connector may add minimal diameter to that side while allowing a tight crimp on the small gauge wire.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 08:25   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
As a guy who does this for a living, I have switched to the Wago Lever Nuts because they are quick, re-usable so the replacement of a fixture at a later date is trivial and they have a port for inserting a meter probe for voltage checks.
Soldering, doubling up on butt splices, step down butt splices, cap splices, or Scotchlocks do not offer these advantages.
Are you able to seal the lever nuts, against moisture?
If so, how?
If not, why isn't it necessary?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 08:37   #22
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

@GordMay
No, these cannot be sealed against moisture.

I don't believe it is necessary to seal them because I use tinned wire in a low amperage application and above a headliner in a boat's interior compartment. I would not use them in an area where they would be subjected to splash or submersion.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 18:51   #23

Boat: Endeavour 30 catamaran

Quote:
@GordMay

I don't believe it is necessary to seal them because I use tinned wire in a low amperage application and above a headliner in a boat's interior compartment. I would not use them in an area where they would be subjected to splash or submersion.

Liquid electrical tape will seal up any type of connection. Not pretty but effective!
landlockedgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 21:47   #24
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

in one of Sailife's latest videos he used the Wago connectors and was very happy with them. pretty strong connection.

i used the 3-way but splice connectors when i re-did my lighting. you can heatshrink and seal each wire even though the center is left open. thats where i drove in a small screw to connect them to the ceiling. it worked but was a lot of work. if i had to redo it i would probably try the Wago connectors.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:12   #25

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:

They also allow easy isolation of a run for troubleshooting. I've been using them more and more for residential wiring. I didn't realize they are suitable for marine use.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:57   #26

Boat: Hanse 348

+1 on wago for this application. Wouldn't use them in the engine room, but for leds in the headliner, sure.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:28   #27

Boat: Columbia 10.7

Quote:
@GordMay

One note here, although I’ve fixed it now, when I bought my boat it had a handful of leaks above the headliner. I removed my vinyl headliner and several decorative ceiling panels and sealed the various leaks. So, it is possible to have moisture in overhead wires.

Also, although I use only tinned wire to connect the lights and other equipment sometimes the devices come with untinned copper wire. Usually, it’s inexpensive LED lights that come this way. You won’t know it until you open the box. The ones sold by West Marine are so damn expensive. I can buy three lights usually for the price of one of theirs.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:49   #28

Boat: Trlåren 31

I've had good results with the "piggyback" spade connectors like these.

https://www.grainger.com/product/31A...P7A1P:20501231
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 17:25   #29

Boat: Tartan 3800

They work OK if you have room and have a spade to attach them to. I dislike spade connectors as they are not as secure as rings.