Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2017, 16:27   #1

122volts from 4volts ac, after a small spark?

My shore power dropped from 122 volts to 4 volts the last few days. I worked my way down the wires with a multimeter and had 122 volts the whole way. Once I got to the black and white ac wires that run from inlet to main ac panel, a small spark happened from the test probe and then I had 122 volts in the entire system again. I am leaving the boat for the next five months. What could be causing this problem?

Thanks

Christian
ketchcng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 17:00   #2

Boat: Gallart 13.50 MS
Re: 122volts from 4volts ac, after a small spark?

It was probably a loose connection that was welded when the probe shorted it. Double check every connection. One of them is in a very dangerous state. If you're going to be leaving the boat, shut down everything that hasn't been carefully checked. Disconnect what you're not very sure about.
Corvidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 13:07   #3

I’m not a welder, but are you saying the hot and neutral wires we’re arching and welding in a way and when I tested the wires, that somehow stopped the transfer from hot to neutral or vice verse?
ketchcng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 14:52   #4

Boat: Gallart 13.50 MS

Without seeing it for myself there's no way to tell for sure what connection was made or broken where. However if an arc happened and then you could read voltage where you couldn't before, then either something melted or something arc welded. Either case can be bad if left unattended. The main danger is if something arced by barely being bumped, then it could happen again when you're not there, resulting in a fire. If you're going to be gone for a while, disconnect the suspect circuits until you can be there to track down the culprit. Or make sure your insurance is paid up and cross your fingers.
Corvidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 15:19   #5

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchcng View Post
My shore power dropped from 122 volts to 4 volts the last few days. I worked my way down the wires with a multimeter and had 122 volts the whole way. Once I got to the black and white ac wires that run from inlet to main ac panel, a small spark happened from the test probe and then I had 122 volts in the entire system again. I am leaving the boat for the next five months. What could be causing this problem?

Thanks

Christian
Two choices:

1) Hire a marine electrician to find and fix the problem.

2) Disconnect the boat from shore power while you are away and hire a marine electrician when you return.