Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2017, 01:33   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450 F
Windlass on L450

Howdy all,

Looking for recommendations on an upgraded anchor windlass for the 450 please.

Our current one is running exceptionally SLOW, and slips. (on CURRENT 25kg anchor, never mind the new one we are getting). Looks like the motor and some gearing has had it. Seems to have been abused in the past, not by us !. Its prob fixable, but I also want to look at some replacement alternatives.

I'm after something that does the following.

1. Can lift our new 45kg anchor at a decent speed / provide enough pull to deal with rough / deep anchoring conditions.

2. Has a manual clutch to allow the chain to run out under its own weight, rather than always being 'lowered' by the winch.

3. Has a manual brake with wheel that can be used to slow / stop chain when running it out.

I've not seen manual clutch / brake combination (yes, more traditional windlass), on the cat windlasses so wondering if they still exist. (Yes, most have a way to allow free running out, but not a manual brake with handwheel to control it safely etc).

Thoughts ?

Regards

Mark.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 18:55   #2

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Windlass on L450

Mark have you looked at the Lofrans X3 vertical? Quite similar in spec as the Quick Dylan but likely to be more reliable and has the features that you are wanting. And its a simple change out as it will fit into the slot where the Dylan existed with only a few new bolt holes to drill.

Also, one item you didn't mention thats important is a reliable manual means to recover the anchor/chain when the motor fails. Quick's plastic insert is complete rubbish.

As for your existing windlass (and Im assuming its a Quick Dylan) its sounds like your symptoms are similar as ours were - the DC motor failed. You can quickly replace this if you don't want to upgrade.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 22:43   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Thanks Steve,

I was looking at the Lofrans the other day actually. Will take a closer look.
Still getting my head around sizes and parts etc !.

Will be testing the windlass properly next week after the Injectors are replaced on the engines... (If its not one thing, its something else !).

I agree a manual recovery method is important !

Regards

Mark.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 18:06   #4

Boat: Lagoon 450

Hi mark we also had a windlass that was slow to lift up but went down fast .we found that the motor is double wound and one of the windings was melted. A simple resolder of the armature and the problem was fixed. We also have a ultra anchor 45kg and have no problem lifting it but sometimes it is hard to unlodge it. We also fitted a plastic pad onto the cross beam to stop the anchor from rubbing on the crossbeam as it sometimes jams when fully up but i think this is because i modifyied the roller assembly. Hope your enjoying your boat. Steve

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
steve450 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windlass