Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2016, 08:17   #1

Whitewashing Lagoon 400 saloon and cabins

Wife is asking if is possible to whitewash the interior panels of a Lagoon 400. Anyone have a view or done similar?
EvilRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 13:34   #2

Re: Whitewashing Lagoon 400 saloon and cabins

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRabbit View Post
Wife is asking if is possible to whitewash the interior panels of a Lagoon 400. Anyone have a view or done similar?
Joke thread? I have a view, but decency prevents it being shared.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 20:55   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Joke thread? I have a view, but decency prevents it being shared.
No joke my long tusked friend! Considering a L400 with some water damage to the interior so its going to need some attention. I've learned to pick my battles.
Old 20-01-2016, 21:00   #4

Boat: Ohlson 29

Is 'whitewashing' something else then painting?

There's a Lagoon a few slips over from where I am, that one has one of these modern interiors - sort of an IKEA look, if you don't mind me saying so.
Those panels would be hard to paint, but you could put in all new panels.
Old 20-01-2016, 21:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Is 'whitewashing' something else then painting?

There's a Lagoon a few slips over from where I am, that one has one of these modern interiors - sort of an IKEA look, if you don't mind me saying so.
Those panels would be hard to paint, but you could put in all new panels.
Yeah this model has that Ikea look. Brand new models are little better, but that Ikea type panelling is not super exciting - esp if you living on board for a year.
Old 20-01-2016, 21:37   #6

Boat: Ohlson 29

Haha, no, it isn't

If you're not in the mood for making a whole set of new panels (there's a few of them ), maybe something like ... darn, not sure what you call it in English ... it's an adhesive plastic that comes in all kinds of colors and designs.

I know a few people who have that on the mast on the part that's showing in the salon; held up fine even after an ocean crossing and cruising for a year. Might work on panels too?

Just thinking out loud here
Old 20-01-2016, 21:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Haha, no, it isn't

If you're not in the mood for making a whole set of new panels (there's a few of them ), maybe something like ... darn, not sure what you call it in English ... it's an adhesive plastic that comes in all kinds of colors and designs.

I know a few people who have that on the mast on the part that's showing in the salon; held up fine even after an ocean crossing and cruising for a year. Might work on panels too?

Just thinking out loud here
Interesting, will look around. Thinking of some recycled composite deck too.
Old 20-01-2016, 23:54   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Whitewash: "a solution of lime and water or of whiting, size, and water, used for painting walls white."

From WIkipedia:
"Whitewash, or calcimine, kalsomine, calsomine, or lime paint is a low-cost type of paint made from slaked lime (calcium hydroxide, Ca(OH)2) and chalk (calcium carbonate, (CaCO3), sometimes known as "whiting". Various other additives are also used...

Whitewash cures through a reaction with carbon dioxide in the atmosphere to form calcium carbonate in the form of calcite, a reaction known as carbonation.
It is usually applied to exteriors; however, it is traditionally used for interiors in food preparation areas, particularly rural dairies, for its mildly antibacterial properties. Occasionally it is coloured and used on structures such as the hallways of apartment buildings, but it is not popular for this as it can rub off onto clothing to a small degree."

I wouldn't be putting in anywhere near a boat.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 00:12   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRabbit View Post
No joke my long tusked friend! Considering a L400 with some water damage to the interior so its going to need some attention. I've learned to pick my battles.
Arh, now I see. "Whitewashing" in my neck of the woods is an application of lime and water. Usually to rock or masonry, or as in Mark Twain's "Tom Sawyer" to a timber fence.
Hence, my wonderment at the thought of liming a boat interior. Thanks StuM!

But a whitewash in the parlance of the Lepus gone bad, perhaps "painting over water damaged paneling" might be an apt translation?

OK, the "Alpi" paneling used on the recent Lagoons is basically plywood with a wood coloured synthetic (plastic?) finish. This finish is water resistant, medium gloss and, I would guess difficulty to paint over. If painting was required, correct preparation would be critical to obtaining a lasting result. I have never done this, but would first experiment on one of this panels not seen eg. under a bed etc.
Sanding to provide a surface for the paint to "key" into, and a suitable primer would be normal.

Good luck with the renovation. I hope the paneling damage is only cosmetic, as replacing much Alpi paneling that is structurally deteriorated would be difficult, time consuming and expensive. However, it is available to buy, especially if the damage is limited. Try googling a supplier in your country
Old 21-01-2016, 01:40   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

I would skim with plaster first before whitewashing,filling the bilges with concrete will also ensure a good foundation.............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 03:16   #11

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Alpi wood looks like a PITA to restore. I'd get new panels, the material itself is available.
Or if you want to replace them all, go for some real wood that doesn't look and feel like Ikea.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 03:38   #12

What's all this bad stuff about IKEA?

I love the place... great meatballs in the cafeteria ..... and if you find your way out then you'll have no trouble navigating through the coral maze on the Great Barrier Reef.
Old 21-01-2016, 03:59   #13

Refinished similar paneling in an RV. Removed all paneling and laid it out flat then used a belt sander (handheld type) with fine sandpaper to get the vinyl layer off. The wood underneath was decent grade and blemish free, suspect it was that Baltic ply, so I used tinted varathane to stain and seal the surface. Not a quick job.

Maybe check with a sign making company who do those vehicle wraps for advertising. Suspect the boats interior panels would be an easy surface for them to cover. Maybe it's time for some custom graphics!

Good luck.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 04:03   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

White washing, also called pickling for reasons unknown to me is what the kitchen cabinets were in the house I just sold, it is a white, but sort of distressed - streaked look, I guess its popular as the wife wanted the cabinets done that way when we replaced them a few years back.

I'd look into having a cabinet maker apply and finish real wood, high quality veneer. You could get rid of the Ikea look, and if done right it would look like very high quality furniture, as I believe very high quality furniture is usually veneered. I also believe that the panels are probably engineered wood and that stuff may be more stable than "real" wood and may be a better substrate for veneer, ask a cabinet maker, they would know.

But, how did it get damaged to begin with?

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/wh...chen-cabinets/
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 04:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
White washing, also called pickling for reasons unknown to me is what the kitchen cabinets were in the house I just sold, it is a white, but sort of distressed - streaked look, I guess its popular as the wife wanted the cabinets done that way when we replaced them a few years back.

I'd look into having a cabinet maker apply and finish real wood, high quality veneer. You could get rid of the Ikea look, and if done right it would look like very high quality furniture, as I believe very high quality furniture is usually veneered. I also believe that the panels are probably engineered wood and that stuff may be more stable than "real" wood and may be a better substrate for veneer, ask a cabinet maker, they would know.

But, how did it get damaged to begin with?

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/wh...chen-cabinets/
Damage seems to be from neglect. Poor thing has been standing idle for some time.

Tags
cabin, lagoon, lagoon 400, saloon, washing