Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2019, 15:13   #1

Where do you store your dingy fuel?

I don't own a cat...yet. I'm looking at 421 within two years. Curious as to where everyone stores the gas for the dingy? Font lockers, deck, etc.?
Completely subjective, but how much fuel do you carry for your dingy?
serpa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 15:47   #2

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34
Re: Where do you store your dingy fuel?

One 5 gal gasoline jerry jug goes on the deck along with three 5 gal jugs of diesel. Mostly these are used for running into town to bring fuel back to the boat. On long trips they are all full when we leave. Sometimes the gasoline jug is full of diesel. We have one 3 gal underseat type gasoline outboard fuel tank for the 8 hp outboard that fits perfectly on top of the two 20 lb LPG tanks in the propane locker. One 1 gal gasoline jug for the 3.5 hp outboard that has an internal tank wedges securely on one side of the port LPG tank in the propane locker. Both outboards are on the stern rail, and the 3.5 hp holds about a liter in its internal tank.

Bill
https://irish-eyes-to-the-bahamas.blogspot.com/
wsmurdoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 18:14   #3

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

We store our dinghy "fuel" in the Torqueedo battery(s). Plug the electronic rig into a solar panel when the dinghy is tied to the mother ship.

Oh... You mean liquid fuel? We used to have a couple of 20 litre jugs tied outboard of the aft rail, back when we used a Nissan 9.9. Rather risk somebody "confiscating" a jug than have it accidentally spill onto the teak decks. Anyway, fuel vapor alone is the only reason you need NOT to store that stuff anywhere below decks.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 18:20   #4

Once saw a boat that had sailed from Canada to Oz, kept the leaking petrol container in the anchor locker next to the electric winch with exposed wires...
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 18:28   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

On a cat there should be (or you can make) a locker that is sealed from the rest of the boat and drains down, through the bottom of the bridge deck. No fume risk. That is how my last 3 multis were.

Never in lockers connected to the cabin, IMO.
Old 15-05-2019, 08:20   #6

Boat: Antares 44i

Always in the dinghy, even when on davits, even when crossing oceans. While I'll store 6-8 5 gallon jerries of diesel in the transom lockers on long passages, personally I don't want that flammable stuff anywhere on the boat.
AZUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 09:10   #7

Boat: Hylas 54

I don’t think there is a need to store any. At all. We have a 5 gallon gas tank in the dinghy. We fill it up when it’s about half empty. Gasoline is available everywhere in the world. When we put boat to bed for an extended period we use up the gas, and store the fume free tank in the anchor locker that drains overboard.

Not sure the obsession with putting jerry cans on deck like some cruiser badge of honor⚓️
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 10:29   #8

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I got a 1 gallon motorcycle mountable gas can from. Twisted throttle and mounted it underneath the dinghy seat. I use a 3.5 horse tohatsu.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 14:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiehobie View Post
Not sure the obsession with putting jerry cans on deck like some cruiser badge of honor⚓️
Ahem.... Well, over the years we've anchored at multiple uninhabited islands and atolls where the nearest petrol station was "somewhere over yonder".

Anyway...

Petrol in X2 20L jug came in handy playing around French Polynesia.
(Back before we bought the Torqueedo.)

Diesel in X4 20L jugs came in handy when our fuel pump died approaching Bora Bora. (I used pre-set-up emergency gravity feed from the cockpit.)

Drinking water in X2 20L jugs came in handy when another vessel had probs with their water maker. (And the mother & daughter aboard seemed particularly delighted to finally get a sweet water rinse!)

Maybe not so much a badge of honor thing but more akin to "the prudent mariner" takes along spare supplies. YMMV

James
Old 15-05-2019, 16:29   #10

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiehobie View Post
In George Town in the Bahamas after the Family Islands Regatta people were asking on the morning radio net to borrow diesel jugs to go into the Shell station in town to buy fuel.

On May 6 in Staniel Cay a near fight broke out among the boats waiting for space at the fuel dock as channel 12 on the VHF radio became progressively more and more entertaining. I took my three jugs ashore, walked down the fuel dock and had them filled between boats. The two guys on the dock laughing at the general ugliness among the cruisers carried them back to my dinghy giggling all the way. I was in and out while the whole morning was taken up by those waiting in the que. I only wish I had pressed the 'record' button for the VHF.

We also carry a collection of collapsable water jugs and have loaned them to others to ferry water to their boats.

Bill
wsmurdoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 02:28   #11

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Deck lockers. One is for LPG and the other for petrol and solvents. Never bring super-volatile fuels below decks unless using them in a stove, and then fill the stove tanks ABOVE decks so any spillage does not get into the bilge.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 07:37   #12

Having fretted over gasoline storage before, we have a 5hp propane Lehr outboard. Our cockpit propane locker has space for two cans so one is for the stove and one is for the dinghy.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 09:13   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

in my arms. i row.
when i used outboard, i stored gas tanklet on deck lashed to stanchions. then i stored in a battery from solar panel for torqueedo. now i store in my muscles for rowing....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 09:39   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
In George Town in the Bahamas after the Family Islands Regatta people were asking on the morning radio net to borrow diesel jugs to go into the Shell station in town to buy fuel.

On May 6 in Staniel Cay a near fight broke out among the boats waiting for space at the fuel dock as channel 12 on the VHF radio became progressively more and more entertaining. I took my three jugs ashore, walked down the fuel dock and had them filled between boats. The two guys on the dock laughing at the general ugliness among the cruisers carried them back to my dinghy giggling all the way. I was in and out while the whole morning was taken up by those waiting in the que. I only wish I had pressed the 'record' button for the VHF.

We also carry a collection of collapsable water jugs and have loaned them to others to ferry water to their boats.

Bill
Very clever solution to intervene in line with filling portable jugs between boats at the fuel dock.

But isn't that why they invented the take a ticket or give the customers in line a queue number systems so as to avoid discerning who is next to be served.

Simple matter to have the dock hands issue a number by radio for docking rights when there is a backlog of demand that way the boats don't try crowding the fuel dock but instead motor in when the previous number is entering the dock. I have on occasion seen marinas inhibited from transiting because there are a lot of boats obstructing the fairways waiting to use the fuel dock and / or the water and pump out stations. It is up to the marina master to manage such surges in demand and to have the boats stage properly, keeping in their slips or retaining on a mooring or at anchor until nearing there turn at the servicing docks. Whenever there is a big event or special holiday, madness [anger, rashness and stupidity] and a bit of chaos can ensue on the waters.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 17:05   #15

[QUOTE=Montanan;2890101]

Simple matter to have the dock hands issue a number by radio for docking rights when there is a backlog of demand that way the boats don't try crowding the fuel dock.../QUOTE]

Man, you maybe need to get out and about more!

Nice concept, and would probably work in, say, Singapore or London. LOL But go ahead and try that in other places of the world and (once people learn the system) they'll be calling on the VHF for a fuel-dock res when they're still out 20 sea miles! Ha! Chaos ensues as one person is late, another slips alongside (with or without a res), a multiple of voices cry out over the radio, and then finally the late comer arrives and insists on cutting in line because (after all) s/he'd "made a reservation"! Others protest, and off to the races we go. Heck, the guys at the fuel dock don't care - they just want to pump fuel, earn their daily, and go for a beer!

Welcome to the real world, friend.

Tags
fuel