Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
in my arms. i row....

I like that spirit!
Old 22-05-2019, 05:51   #17

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Re: Where do you store your dingy fuel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
I got a 1 gallon motorcycle mountable gas can from. Twisted throttle and mounted it underneath the dinghy seat. I use a 3.5 horse tohatsu.
I got this from twisted throttle online. The last picture is a shot from underneath the seat. That black handle is threaded and fits through the center of the gas can that's molded that way. It's a longish bolt and all you do is twist it until it locks. Then you untwist a quarter turn and the dinghy gas can is released. The spighot is stored within the gas can itself. The spighot is also spring loaded so you're not slopping gas all over the place while trying to fill the outboard. if you push down the gas flows and when you release the gas stops flowing. It comes with all the necessary mounting hardware. It was very simple to install.

It works great, especially when I have to refill the outboard in the water.

BenClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190520_141104213.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	192530Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190520_141109333.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	192531Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190520_141157505_HDR.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	192532
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 07:01   #18

Boat: 44 footer

Quote:
I got this from twisted throttle online. The last picture is a shot from underneath the seat. That black handle is threaded and fits through the center of the gas can that's molded that way. It's a longish bolt and all you do is twist it until it locks. Then you untwist a quarter turn and the dinghy gas can is released. The spighot is stored within the gas can itself. The spighot is also spring loaded so you're not slopping gas all over the place while trying to fill the outboard. if you push down the gas flows and when you release the gas stops flowing. It comes with all the necessary mounting hardware. It was very simple to install.

BenAttachment 192530Attachment 192531Attachment 192532

That is slick.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 09:25   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
That is slick.
Thank you! I got tired of having a gas can slop around in the floor of the dinghy.
Old 22-05-2019, 16:10   #20

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
I got this from twisted throttle online. (etc.)

Excuse me, but... That fuel canister is attached to the bottom of the dinghy seat, and the seat is "attached" to the dinghy by a tab on each side that slips into slots, right? You might want to consider some sort of safety lanyard, you know, just in case the surf gets a bit rough. One less thing to worry about, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinghy in Surf.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	192563  
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 16:12   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Excuse me, but... That fuel canister is attached to the bottom of the dinghy seat, and the seat is "attached" to the dinghy by a tab on each side that slips into slots, right? You might want to consider some sort of safety lanyard, you know, just in case the surf gets a bit rough. One less thing to worry about, right?
That's a great idea! I must say, though, that when the dinghy tubes are fully inflated those tabs are very long and it is impossible to get that seat out without deflating the tubes. I have tried. I will, however, implement the suggestion as a margin of safety. Thank you!
Old 22-05-2019, 16:26   #22

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Your welcome. An added thought: Inflatable tubes by definition are flexible and air is compressible. Under the force and stress of pounding surf or waves even a RIB can flex and twist.

Anyway, our RIB has a SS thru-the-hull towing point with lifting ring inboard. Got a couple of lanyards attached to the ring as tie points for this or that... and of course the zipper-closing canvas bag for the really important stuff - like beer. Good luck and good sailing!
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 21:31   #23

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

We have a 15hp Yamaha Enduro 2T and a Honda 2200i. We store petrol/gasoline in these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
We also have 4 of the yellow ones for spare diesel, plus 2-3 normal yellow jerry cans.
The Yamaha has it's own 20 liter fuel tank we keep with 50:1 premix.

All of these fuel cans are stored in the forward port locker along with the Honda 2200i and most of our fenders. Plus a 400 liter water tank. Plus a spare 20kg Rocna. I didn't have the heart to get rid of it after upgrading to the 33kg Rocna. We keep it packed tight so things don't bounce around. The forward starboard locker is just as big and has a matching water tank and a 50l/hr water maker.

The VP cans are very popular at race tracks across America. The flexible pour tube and the grab handle on the bottom of the can makes pouring much easier. We keep one flexible hose for the petrol and one for diesel. Just move the cap to the bottle we want to use next. I also like the square base. They are also taller than a typical jerry can, which makes storing easier.

I really want a Torqeedo and we don't use our Honda often, but I'm not ready to give up on these items yet. Maybe one day we will rid our boat of petrol.
Old 22-05-2019, 21:39   #24

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 51

Have a couple of 5 litre plastic gas cans which I keep in the anchor locker. Not sure how this will work once we are out at sea. Works okay for Lake Ontario. We also have 2 larger tanks in the dinghy itself. Have not given much though to those. I will have to soon I think.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 21:45   #25

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
just in case the surf gets a bit rough. One less thing to worry about, right?

Mistakes like that are easily avoided but the thinking that allows them to happen can not easily be fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinghy in Surf.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	192571  
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 07:40   #26

Boat: Lagoon 450F

Thank you cruisers for this very entertaining thread.... brought to me some good hearty laughs on a hungover Sunday morning... appreciate it!!

And special thanks to bensolomon for the creative “off deck” solution! Fellow biker I bet.
HereAndNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 07:56   #27

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpa4 View Post
I don't own a cat...yet. I'm looking at 421 within two years. Curious as to where everyone stores the gas for the dingy? Font lockers, deck, etc.?
Completely subjective, but how much fuel do you carry for your dingy?
Make your decision non-subjective. It may be less entertaining, but more useful.
Consider your boat and your cruising situations.
Gasoline storage should be in a well ventilated compartment absolutely separated from living and machinery spaces. No sources of ignition. Just like a propane locker. Many boats lack such, so fuel resides on deck. Our catamaran has suitable forward compartments.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 08:27   #28

Quote:

That is areat method of placement of the gas can. Does that device also perform as the fuel tank for supply gas to the dinghy motor? It seem like it would be an easy matter to have the portable "can" be capable of also being the "tank" from which the fuel is dispensed. I have often wondered why there aren't such CanTanks, or am I just being cantankerous in my desires?
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 09:21   #29

Think about using a LEHR propane motor. I have had one for several years. A few problems but minor. No gas on the boat at all.
clayzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 10:31   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpa4 View Post
... Curious as to where everyone stores the gas for the dingy?
I bought a plastic battery box and a 2 gallon gas container that fits inside it.

A DIY aluminum bracket has it hanging off the stern, so any fumes stay overboard.

While this would increase my LOA with associated mooring cost consequences, the bracket for the outboard protrudes about the same amount, so no real loss.

Having said this, I haven't brought the motor aboard in a couple of years, and am giving SERIOUS thought to an electric. I just don't like gas around ...
alanrothenbush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel