Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2019, 13:02   #1

Whats the issue and status regarding Lagoon 46 masts?

Do they have to change every mast? Why a shorter/lessSailArea one?
Valiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 04:31   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: lagoon 470
Re: Whats the issue and status regarding Lagoon 46 masts?

Cuting the mast down then adding a third level of spreaders....
Aupalukii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 23:59   #3
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Sorry but what issue are talking about ? Any link to the story ?
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 04:11   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
Sorry but what issue are talking about ? Any link to the story ?
I was told there was a recall, halt in delieveries, and limiting use to engine, not sails, of those already delivered, until new masts in place. i know no more. that's why i ask
Old 19-10-2019, 11:12   #5
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
I was told there was a recall, halt in delieveries, and limiting use to engine, not sails, of those already delivered, until new masts in place. i know no more. that's why i ask
But no link on the internet ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente
Why a shorter/lessSailArea one
Where did you get this information ?
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 12:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
But no link on the internet ?

Where did you get this information ?
Marina bar talk with a worried guy who was seriously considering buying a Lagoon46.
I know no more than what he said and I wrote: mast recall, solution being a shorter one!
Old 19-10-2019, 15:28   #7

Boat: Lagoon 46

Just closed on Lagoon 46 Hull #6. During the closing process, I was informed that the rig was being changed from single to double spreaders. They weren't specific about any history of incidents.
I was just surprised, given the company's and the industry's knowledge base, that there was a design problem w a rig. It's not like they, and countless others, haven't designed a rig for near exact a boat configuration.
Tracyandkimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 16:54   #8

With a lot of caveats, and knowing that "anecdote" is not the singular form of the word "data" I do know of a nearly new Lagoon 46 that lost her mast in mild conditions off the USA East Coast last year.

It LOOKED like the cause was related to the forward crossbeam, not the mast itself, but the "experts" from insurance and factory did not come to a conclusion on the proximate cause--as far as I know. Probably impossible, since the rig was cut away offshore and not available for inspection.

Based on my own visual inspection of the boat, and a series of short conversations with the owner. That is about the sum total of what I know...
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 11:33   #9

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo...pe-1705732.amp

Lagoon FB groups speculate that some owners are refusing to take delivery and looking into options to break their L46 contracts due to dismasting issues.
bravoecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 05:31   #10

After two L46 have lost their masts, the rig will be redesigned now. The mast will be shortened and it will get a second spreader. The sail area will be reduced too.

A nice boat to live on it in a marina
Yatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 12:07   #11

Boat: Lagoon 42

This certainly isn't the first time a "mast issue" has surfaced on a new (although the 46 is very much like the 450) catamaran design. When the Leopard 44 was introduced 2 of the first 3 boats off the production line lost their masts while being delivered. Leopard quickly sorted it out and made modifications. There was also a problem on the Lagoon 42, and again a simple modification corrected the issue.

Even though Lagoon and other manufacturers have a great deal of experience, minor changes in boat design have potentially great impacts on the loads transferred to sails, masts, and rigging.
Jim Woodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 14:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Woodall View Post
This certainly isn't the first time a "mast issue" has surfaced on a new (although the 46 is very much like the 450) catamaran design. When the Leopard 44 was introduced 2 of the first 3 boats off the production line lost their masts while being delivered. Leopard quickly sorted it out and made modifications. There was also a problem on the Lagoon 42, and again a simple modification corrected the issue.

Even though Lagoon and other manufacturers have a great deal of experience, minor changes in boat design have potentially great impacts on the loads transferred to sails, masts, and rigging.
We can fairly accurately model airflow around an entire helicopter blade nearly down to the molecule level. It's basically engineering malpractice to not be able to model the loads on the very finite elements of a mast and rigging! And if you don't want to invest in that, you could instrument up your first production boat with strain gauges on every piece of rigging and throughout the mast and step for far less than the cost of dealing with a single mast issue. If this is a not uncommon issue with big production boat manufacturers then they need to take a serious look at their operational test regimes....they do perform operational testing on new models don't they?
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 13:56   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
- It's basically engineering malpractice to not be able to model the loads on the very finite elements of a mast and rigging!

- instrument up your first production boat with strain gauges on every piece of rigging and throughout the mast and step for far less than the cost of dealing with a single mast issue.

-they need to take a serious look at their operational test regimes....

- they do perform operational testing on new models don't they?
[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]
Old 19-01-2020, 01:02   #14

Boat: Lagoon 46

I own Lagoon 46, hull 15. The dismasted L46, Karioca 2, left just a few days before us from Les Sables. We had sailed our boat to the Med with no problems in moderate winds (BF5-6 max, one reef in) and were near Ibiza when we received an email from Lagoon through our dealer not to use our sails due to mast issues. They referred to the accident with Karioca 2.
Our mast has been replaced in November by Lagoon for a shorter one with two spreaders; same mast (and length) as on 450. All sails have replaced. According to the new polar diagrams from VPLP this costs me 0.2 - 0.5 knots of speed. Haven’t sailed her yet with the new mast.
A compensation package has been offered to me by Lagoon to which I agreed.
Lagoon has been open about the issues and have taken the proper steps to correct the issue. I personally think they might have been too aggressive in trying to best their proven 450. Looking forward to the 2020 season in the Med!
wdemonye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 20:30   #15
Zaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdemonye View Post
I own Lagoon 46, hull 15. The dismasted L46, Karioca 2, left just a few days before us from Les Sables. We had sailed our boat to the Med with no problems in moderate winds (BF5-6 max, one reef in) and were near Ibiza when we received an email from Lagoon through our dealer not to use our sails due to mast issues. They referred to the accident with Karioca 2.
Our mast has been replaced in November by Lagoon for a shorter one with two spreaders; same mast (and length) as on 450. All sails have replaced. According to the new polar diagrams from VPLP this costs me 0.2 - 0.5 knots of speed. Haven’t sailed her yet with the new mast.
A compensation package has been offered to me by Lagoon to which I agreed.
Lagoon has been open about the issues and have taken the proper steps to correct the issue. I personally think they might have been too aggressive in trying to best their proven 450. Looking forward to the 2020 season in the Med!
[/S]

Hi,congrats😊Hope you're enjoying the boat.
My hull no is 17 and not completed yet with the changes!I haven't even seen the boat yet.Are you satisfied with everything?
Thanks
Zaf
Zaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, mast