Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2015, 05:25   #61
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: What size and number of solar panels needed

Hi Nick. We have the 4 standard 140Ah lead acid batteries by Lagoon as well as 2 additional 140Ah batteries. I installed a timber shelf in the compartment aft of the batteries to hold the additional batteries. The shelf allows for 2 batteries up to about 800mm long, 500mm high and 205mm wide from memory. I can take a pic if it's not clear.
Cheers
Monte
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 05:17   #62

Hi Monte
Thank you for the information. I assume you are happy with the capacity? I think by the time we fit a water maker etc we will have a simular power consumption to you. I am limited to using the space in the battery area so I think the best I might be able to get closer to 700ah total, I am looking at the possibility of fitting some off grid batteries if I can find some that are not so tall.
Thanks again
Regards
Nick
Old 20-08-2015, 07:10   #63
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes Nick. Capacity is fine. We don't have a generator and have never felt the need for one. I guess if I was starting with a new bank I would be looking into lithium batteries. We did have 660Ah batteries and 540W panels on our last boat and that was also fine for day to day power. Longer Passage making is when you need a bit more, or change your consumption.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 14:27   #64

Hi Monte
I was hoping this battery bank would have lasted long enough for the price of Lithium batteries to come down and the technology to improve a bit, my battery charger and solar charger are capable of charging Lithium but I would have to do something about alternators. The local battery supplier has advised me against lithium when he saw they were going in a cabin under a bed, even though he sells the ones which are supposed to be safer.
I tend to spend a lot of time researching these things, so I appreciate reading your posts etc ,water maker is my next thing.
Cheers
Nick
Old 21-08-2015, 12:42   #65

Boat: Lagoon400S2-2017, nr 530

Hi Monte, would appreciate a pic of that timber shelf 😃. Plan to choose Lagoons gel battery option but as I plan to cover the cockpitroof with Gioco solarpanels, around 1kW, I will need to complement those 4x120Ah batteries, and there is place enough under the bed 😃

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Tobbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panels, size, solar, solar panels