Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2020, 13:54   #1

Water pump keeps running

Problem: fresh water pump keeps running until it throws the breaker. Seems to be a lot of water pressure when I shut it off. Any suggestions???? Can a water pump bypass the pressure tank if that is the problem?
Marjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 14:09   #2

Re: Water pump keeps running

It could be and sounds likely the pressure switch is not working.
The easiest way to work this out is to cap or in some other way stop up the outlet, or very close to the outlet and switch it on.
If the pumps runs continuously until it throws the breaker......thats your problem.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 03:21   #3

Boat: L 450

It's the relay on the water pump
take a screwdriver and hit it soft and it will stop
Replace Relay
Darksyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 04:28   #4

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

There would only be power through the relay if the pressure switch allows it, so it would seem the pressure switch needs fixing depending on model.
Tin Tin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 08:19   #5

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

What kind of pump do you have? The pressure switch is the likely culprit but if it's a diaphragm pump the seals or diaphragm might be leaking/compromised.

As liveaboards our water pump is a crucial piece of equipment so we always have a spare.

When the water pump acts up, it is easy to swap it out and install the spare, then order a rebuild kit and replacement pressure switch, rebuild and repeat.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 08:26   #6

Mine did this recently and I replaced the valve assembly, which cost about $10. Working great now. I'd guess its the most common failure followed by the pressure switch. Because yours is overloading though, i would guess pressure switch, especially if you are getting good flow.
dblanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 08:44   #7

Boat: Watkins 29

TInTin has it right...Youve got a stuck or defective pressure switch. The only other possiblity is a leak in the system somewhere that allows the system pressure to fall off enough to trigger the pump to come on
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 08:59   #8

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

I had a similar problem. Tuts out there was a small leak at my water maker. No water was leaking but it was picking up air preventing the pressure from reaching proper PSI for the pressure switch to turn off.

Good luck, Jeff
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 09:45   #9

SV Grace has the best universal solution, you do not have to be a live-aboard for it to make sense. Cruising in Bahamas without A/C you do not want spend any more time below decks doing repairs than you have to. Two identical pumps makes for quick R&R, and avoids guessing which spares to carry
gpridgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 10:15   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If it's a diaphragm pump with the pressure switch in the front end, the switch commonly used is too small and eventually the contacts burn. Either welding together or failing to make good enough contact to run the motor. If you take it apart, the switch is usually a common micro switch and costs under $5. You can find one on ebay or an appliance store for much less than the average pump maker charges.

The switch is usually rated for 120 Ac, when used with 12v, it's beyond the rating.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 10:20   #11

Every single type of pump used for domestic water supply has a Troubleshooting Guide in the manual. It covers what to do with all the parts. Otherwise, it could be running because you have a leak in the piping.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 11:48   #12

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjane View Post
Problem: fresh water pump keeps running until it throws the breaker. Seems to be a lot of water pressure when I shut it off. Any suggestions???? Can a water pump bypass the pressure tank if that is the problem?

Is the Pump a Jabsco Diaphragm pump, got a photo of it, model number etc for example https://www.jabscoshop.com/spare-par...ode=30620-0292
Tin Tin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:19   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 39

If you cant find any water leaks in the system The quickest and cheapest electrical fault finding method is too disconnect the 2 wires to the pressure switch first ,turn on the circuit and touch together ,if the pump runs then its almost sure its the pressure switch not working, if the pump dosen't run when wires are connected , probably the relay is faulty . This how i found out my relay was the issue ,nice easy fix for a change
Huggi21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump