Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2022, 08:49   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42
Water Leak

I have a water leak coming through the ceiling over the desk area on the owner's side of my 2020 Lagoon 42. It has only happened when we start motor /sailing the boat after it has rained. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, were you able to figure out where it was leaking from?
Cary Bullard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:31   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Water Leak

Obviously water is pooling.

Typically motoring means bow up, while sailing is bow down. That would indicate direction of flow.

Visual inspection often will reveal the leak. Window gaskets are a common source.

Starting with a not dripping condition, water down parts of the boat, starting low aft and working toward bow and up. If yours only leaks when moving this could be a slow test, so you might just start with suspect areas. The whole goal is process of elimination.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:12   #3

This is a known occurrence on this model. It comes from the front hatch when the latches aren’t sealed properly. The water runs sun the channel inside and drops where you’ve indicated.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2022, 12:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
This is a known occurrence on this model. It comes from the front hatch when the latches aren’t sealed properly. The water runs sun the channel inside and drops where you’ve indicated.
Just experienced the same problem - the leak source is the port side saloon window .... even when it has not rained the condesation from the coach roof runs down the front windows and straight inside - window design is not fit for Purpose - poor engineering!
LOCURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2024, 09:39   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to bdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Bullard View Post
I have a water leak coming through the ceiling over the desk area on the owner's side of my 2020 Lagoon 42. It has only happened when we start motor /sailing the boat after it has rained. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, were you able to figure out where it was leaking from?
Did you ever figure it out. We just had it happen with our 42. Choppy seas. Leak from owner cabin ceiling.
bdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 05:46   #6

Boat: Lagoon 42

I read the replies that I got from other Lagoon owners. I checked the hatches for leaks but did not find anything there. I sprayed water on the side that was leaking around the salon windows and hatches but could not get it to leak.

The water coming in only seemed to happen when we were moving under sail. One of the responses spoke to this so we began paying more attention as we started moving. I found that water got into the inner track inside the salon area at the bottom of the windows. this track runs under all the windows around the solan area. I assume it may have rained and we did not close the front solon hatches before water got in them. Our leak only
happened on the owner's side between the bed and the bath area. I assume that is where your leak is? Good luck with finding the problem and safe sailing!
Cary Bullard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 11:40   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to bdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Bullard View Post
I read the replies that I got from other Lagoon owners. I checked the hatches for leaks but did not find anything there. I sprayed water on the side that was leaking around the salon windows and hatches but could not get it to leak.

The water coming in only seemed to happen when we were moving under sail. One of the responses spoke to this so we began paying more attention as we started moving. I found that water got into the inner track inside the salon area at the bottom of the windows. this track runs under all the windows around the solan area. I assume it may have rained and we did not close the front solon hatches before water got in them. Our leak only
happened on the owner's side between the bed and the bath area. I assume that is where your leak is? Good luck with finding the problem and safe sailing!

Thanks Cary,
This is becoming our guess as well. We tried water all around the hatches and outside windows, with no leaks. This happened when we were sailing and we did notice water on the inside of the windows under the sill (when we had windows open when it started raining). I’m wonder why not have caulking there instead of a hard to get crevass for water to collect.
bdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water