Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2016, 02:14   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450 F
Upgrades to a 440 - Question

Howdy,

We are continuing our boat search, and looking seriously at either a L440 or a 400. Right now the 440 is wining. So I have a few questions.

1. Anyone fitted this Hard Top to the FlyBridge ? Dedicated Marine LAGOON - Dedicated Marine Bimini Hardtop Idea on price, and would they do it again ?

2. Anyone gutted one of the front cabins on a 440, and turned it into something else ? Workshop, Office, whatever. It seems very doeable to me, just need to maintain the transverse bulkhead in front (Cut it down, put in bracing at the bottom) similar to owners side Head.

I'm looking at the 4 cabin version, and would like to turn 1 into a workshop/storage, and the other into a proper office (2x30" monitors, chair, printer etc), along with some cloths storage. Yes I need it, no I can't do it as easily upstairs...

3. InBoom Furler. - Anyone used a Profurl In-Boom furler on a 440, comments ?

4. Any recommendations on what to look out for as 'gottcha's' when buying a 440. (2007-2008 model) ex charter.

A comments appreciated.

Regards
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 00:38   #2

Re: Upgrades to a 440 - Question

That many !.

If anyone has done similar to OTHER models, i'd also be interested.

Thanks and Regards

Mark.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:05   #3

Boat: Lagoon 440 OV

We have a 3 Cabin, so can't comment on the changes you are suggesting. But I do all my work at the helm station in the saloon. Nice to be able to look out and see the world.

We use the front left cabin as a store room / cabin when needed. No one to date has slept in it in two years. Whatever you do though bear in mind keeping the weight balanced. We store a lot of stuff in that cabin and offsetting it is a pain.

Look out for stress cracking and check all the stringer ties are solid.

Beyond that it is the normal gear failure to look out for, how far gone the sails are. When the seals were done on the drives (if ever). Check the reverse gear oil for emulsification, if it is cloudy then there is a good chance you are looking at new seals, bearing and possibly some other issues internally depending on how long the water has been in the oil.

In-boom. Not seen it done, but think it would be a very nice addition. That said with a good lazy bag and single line reefing getting the boat reefed is not a drama.

Hard top, not done it, but seen it done. Mixed feelings, we have a bimini top and front panel and it works well to keep the helm dry (ish) and out of the worst of the wind. I look at other boats with hard tops and think it would be nice, but then some days we like to take the bimini down and that is really nice as well.

We have a large solar arch on the back that doubles as a davits, the 440 davits are IMHO to low for serious offshore sailing. Plus solar is fantastic, no moving parts and silent.

Hope that helps some. PM by all means if you have any specific Q's
Old 12-05-2016, 22:20   #4

Boat: Lagoon 440

We also have a 3 cabin version with crew quarters in the bows.. sleep port side bathroom stbd side. Seperate from the rest of the boat. Starboard side makes good workshop plenty of headroom.. hand basin..bench over the head with vice and tools. We make our bimini full with and deeper in canvas. Can sleep behind seats. Its the new lounge and can walk on it.. alot of hard tops look like after market bus stops. Dedicated marine do a good one. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
captaincraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 22:30   #5

Thanks for the Replies.

Boat we are looking at buying, is 4 Cabin. Also with the cabins in the bows. But we are planning to turn it into more of an owners boat, thought not quite the same as an actual OV obviously.

I was planning on ripping out the 'crew' berth in the bows to save weight. Including the toilet. Really don't see the need for that.

But agree with leaving the handbasin, and putting in a workbench.

Part of our Reno will be pulling existing weight OFF the boat, really so we can add it back again in different places !. For example, likley 2 of the 4 Heads are going internally, one into a Shower, the other into a Laundry / wet room, OR a pantry. Will see.

I should note that our plan for this boat, is a couple in our (very) late 40's, taking it around the world for full time cruising for 2-5 years, whilst running some business work from it remotely.

Thanks and Regards
Old 13-05-2016, 01:18   #6

Boat: Lagoon 440

Why not save all the work and get an OV. You get a main cabin twice the size.. its great to lay in bed and look at how big it is..an area down there suitable for a office with a couch and desk with power points.. already have the laundry.. great lighting.. and you can still have your workshop..and how easy is it to sell a 440 thats been "modified. We were very fussy when we were looking cos it was to be our home.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
captaincraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 13:19   #7

Boat: 2006 Lagoon 440

I've made some mods to my 2006 Lagoon 440 3-cabin version, but I wouldn't take on making big changes to the port fwd cabin. Lots of structural strength built in to the bed frames, etc so I'd be really careful. I stripped out the stbd fwd crew cabin completely and had powder coated alum hooks fabricated to hang all my mooring lines on both sides just below the hatch. All (9) fenders fit in easily and I still get access to the below-floor level lockers. On the rigid bimini: I saw a couple in the Caribbean but didn't like them. We sometimes sail fairly aggressively and look for every opportunity to trim the main. Occasionally we lower the bimini so we can really flatten out the sail - normally in light winds from ahead. Can't do that with a rigid awning and its sometimes really nice just to lower it and enjoy the sun. Again, not something I'd do. Saw one boom furled L440 in the Med with a boom vang to maintain the right boom angle but it sailed like a dog and the owner told us he's had some issues with the furler jamming inside the boom. Couldn't furl it or let it out. I'd stick with the tried and tested slab reefing. Best of luck.
coldar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 04:39   #8

Boat: Lagoon 450
Upgrades to a 440 - Question

I fitted Leisure Furl to my L450. Superb. Easier to raise, lower and reef, including downwind, 1 person. The sail has 7 battens and is a great shape and the yacht sails well. More here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=132743

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 04:54   #9

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder

Love ours after 6 years.
Hardtop is great with clears across the front for rain and hot sun.
Check if all the through hull valves have been replaced as factory only use chrome plated brass.
4 toilets are a pain,get rid of 1 or 2.
In boom furling is an expensive luxury.

dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 11:54   #10

Thanks all.

Dirk, what did you replace your thru-hulls with ? Any recommendations of specific brands etc ?

We are looking at a 4 cabin L440 that needs some 'TLC' which is actually fine with us. I'm expecting to take 12-18 months or so to tidy it up / refit etc, and make ready for water sailing">blue water sailing.

Price on the owners versions out there are not really an option at this time. Though some look very nice !.

Regards
Old 17-05-2016, 04:16   #11

We mostly used bronze valves and 2 from http://www.trudesignplastics.com/marine
I would go all trudesign if i did it again, so well made and smooth.
Pain of a job, you will most likely change all the hoses at the same time as they will be brittle and too stiff to refit.

Old 17-05-2016, 08:20   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
We mostly used bronze valves and 2 from Marine | TRUDESIGN
I would go all trudesign if i did it again, so well made and smooth.
Pain of a job, you will most likely change all the hoses at the same time as they will be brittle and too stiff to refit.

Thanks.

Also a pain as it has to be done OUT of the Water, which can be tricky with Yard time etc etc. (at least over here it can be).

Those Trudesign valves look VERY nice frankly. Any harder to fit than a traditional thru-hull ?. No corrosion problems !.

Being a nerd who's into home control, I also like the 'monitored' ones they list on that site. Wonder how much more they are however.

Regards

Mark
Old 17-05-2016, 18:30   #13

They are easier to install than bronze.
To get the old ones off the through hull just apply some heat if they are stuck.
Mine come off pretty easily as there were sealed with a paste.
We changed them all in about 6 hours and reconnected the hoses once back in the water to save yard fees.

Old 20-05-2016, 07:13   #14

I second your choice of Trudesign through hulls and ball valves. That's what I'll be using when my original metal ones start looking "carroty".

Make sure to also fit the Trudesign load bearing collars in order to reduce the risk of a through hull breaking if impacted by a large sideways force.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 11:02   #15

Hardtop Bimini for a L450 in Miami was approx $14,000 + fitting
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote