Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 07:28   #1

Boat: Van de Stadt 44 #393 Aluminium
TPI 42 vs. 410

Hello again, I advanced my search for our next cruising boat and just had a very sad morning as I lost the opportunity to buy a 410 located in Dominican Republic. I met the seller a week ago for dinner and was willing to survey the boat and get it, but someone had already scheduled a visit and he told me to wait, as the guy had preference as he had already scheduled to visit the boat. Today I got the msg confirming the boat was sold. Sad, but now looking hard again.

But this message is to ask fellow contributors, on what are your insights on TPI 42 vs. 410 models. I had been looking for both, and while TPI 42 are older, they seen to be much better valued than 410, usually a 20 year TPI 42 being valued at the same as a 10 year 410. The same happens to TPI 37 vs 380. Why is that? Is it just the mystic of a small production boat made in America or are they really that much better of sailing?

I am not looking so much at 380 and 37, except if there is "the boat for the price", as I was advised that for long term cruising, the extra storage capacity of 42 and 410 will make a difference when living aboard.

Thanks,

Gus
gtpinhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 12:24   #2

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning
Re: TPI 42 vs. 410

Hi Gus,

Surprised you haven't gotten any feed back, but this forum is generally for those that have a lagoon so they will obviously be partial. You might have better luck posting on the general multihull forum rather than this lagoon sub category.

I have chartered both. While the 42 probably is a bit faster, and this is important to me, I prefer the 410 because of galley up, more salon room, bigger cockpit and on the 410 s2 all lines are lead to the cockpit with an electric winch. The 410 has sail drives and (its been a while) I think the 42 has shaft drives, so this is a big factor you must decide on. I like the layout of the galley better in the 410, it feels much bigger and the pass thru window from the galley to the cockpit is cool. I think the bunk sizes on the 410 are bigger but the stern bunks are over the engines (heat and noise) though it wasn't a big deal in Belize if we shut them down by 4pm, would be a plus in cool climates like mine. I don't remember where the engines were vs the bunks on the 42. The only thing I would change on the 410 besides better performance would be the rounded salon seating, if I bought one for keeps I would seriously consider changing that, but I'm probably the only one crazy enough to think this. I might also move the traveler winch & track back to smooth out the cockpit seatback…I can't imagine why they engineered it that way with that bump there.

i'll be near you in a few days. I'm visiting my son in Rio d J. It would be fun to go sailing or get on an Antares if they have a presence there.

Good luck on your search.

Eric
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 13:10   #3

Boat: Seadog 30

I was looking at that boat, looked pretty nice.
Captain Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 20:30   #4

Thanks for the comment ejlindahl, appreciate your inputs!
Old 15-02-2014, 20:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ludd View Post
I was looking at that boat, looked pretty nice.
In fact it seems it really was well maintained. And at a good price.

Cheers!
Old 16-02-2014, 04:09   #6

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Inspect the older TPI very carefully . if you research you can find that they had a tendency to screw right into the cored sections resulting in allot of rotted areas where hardware is bedded. We have seen this ourselves on a 37Tpi. Also that age of boat has the possibility of window leaks which can turn things i to a moldy mess behind the scenes. The Lagoon in DR sold for a steal. The TPI is over priced which is why its still available and the other one not ... My 2c

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 10:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Inspect the older TPI very carefully . if you research you can find that they had a tendency to screw right into the cored sections resulting in allot of rotted areas where hardware is bedded. We have seen this ourselves on a 37Tpi. Also that age of boat has the possibility of window leaks which can turn things i to a moldy mess behind the scenes. The Lagoon in DR sold for a steal. The TPI is over priced which is why its still available and the other one not ... My 2c

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Thanks Dulcesuenos, I have read about the windows leak and on a call with the seller he assured me he never had this problem as he have always protected them with the windows shade so the sealant never got cooked. Regarding the scape hatches, he glassed them (as leakage there seems to be another common issue). He mentioned the 37 is faster than the 42 (which has a relatively smaller self tackling jib instead of genoa).

The 37 seems to be a nice little boat, bigger than newer 380s and seems to fit well for a couple to live aboard, but I am still looking at 42s and 410s due to additional storage as I know I will miss it.

The 410 sold in DR really was a great boat for the price. Well equipped and maintained it sold at 150k because the seller was in a hurry to free his professional sailor. A wish I had moved earlier.

Best

Gus
Old 16-02-2014, 11:09   #8

Fear is so in us, especially fear of loss. Just keep shopping you'll find a good boat.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 11:32   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

Having sailed both, I have to agree with Eric (hi, Eric!). In my opinion, the TPI sails somewhat better than the 410, points a bit higher, tracks a bit better, and I think the bridgedeck clearance is somewhat better (without the annoying bumpouts from the aft cabins) than the 410. The 410 definitely lives better than the TPI, though. In numerous ways, whether S2 or not, the 410, especially the owner version, is a more comfortable boat.

I also agree with Eric about that darned curved salon seating! As someone who always sleeps in the salon when off watch and on passage, that makes it really uncomfortable/impossible. However, I'm not sure that it's "fixable" without spending a lot of time and money, and maybe not even then.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 11:41   #10

For a couple, my TPI 42 had way more storage than I felt we needed. Just sayin. Shaft drives are a big plus in my book, as is the fact that TPI built them. Core issues can happen when someone screws into the deck on any of them. I could take my AB 10 ft RIB with motor on under the bridgedeck of my TPI 42... just barely. Also, Everything from my 47 ft mono live aboard went onto the Cat. The Mono was down 5" on the waterline. The cat went down 1.5"!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 21:26   #11

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpinhei View Post
Thanks Dulcesuenos, I have read about the windows leak and on a call with the seller he assured me he never had this problem as he have always protected them with the windows shade so the sealant never got cooked. Regarding the scape hatches, he glassed them (as leakage there seems to be another common issue). He mentioned the 37 is faster than the 42 (which has a relatively smaller self tackling jib instead of genoa).

The 37 seems to be a nice little boat, bigger than newer 380s and seems to fit well for a couple to live aboard, but I am still looking at 42s and 410s due to additional storage as I know I will miss it.

The 410 sold in DR really was a great boat for the price. Well equipped and maintained it sold at 150k because the seller was in a hurry to free his professional sailor. A wish I had moved earlier.

Best

Gus

i believe he had urgent health issues..
(i would love to be wrong)
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 04:16   #12

Hope he gets well soon and that it isn't serious.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app