Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2018, 10:09   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: To chrome or to powder coat??

Another. Ore for POR15. An extremely hard surfaced pawing that is very corrosion resistant and sticks to rust. If you go with it I’d leave the parts out in the rain for a week then treat with their cleaner prep spray before painting. POR15 actually sticks best to Lightly rusted surfaces.

Galvanizing would be best it will probably be pricey to do a few small parts. Also not good for anything that has tight tolerances as deposited zinc adds to dimensions. May have to ream out rudder fitting after hot dipping.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 13:23   #17

It looks as though it is already cadmium plated, which is a sacrificial coating like zinc galvanising and apparently in some cases better.

Personally I would just give it a helping hand by keeping it coated in silicone grease or some such.
Perna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 13:44   #18
umi

I personally wouldn’t bother with regalvanizing etc. I would take off the parts and bring them to a good workshop/welder. I’m sure mine would be able to copy them in stainless for a very reasonable price.
umi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 21:26   #19

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

I'm not an expert on coatings, but I'm thinking the finish on the part in the photo just may be something a little more exotic than cadmium. Why don't you contact the manufacturer & ask what the finish is before you start re-engineering it? If it is plain old cadmium, then ask the manufacturer what they would advise as you are changing the specs of their product which may affect it in other ways unbeknown to yourself. If they are not concerned with changes to their product, then do whatever makes you feel good. I myself would opt for bronze were I to make any such drastic changes.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote