Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2014, 15:16   #1

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2 2006
Time for an oil change

We are just past 100hrs since we move onto our 2006 410S2. We have two Yanmar 3JH4E engines. I purchased one of those pumps that goes into the dip stick hole. Looking now for oil filters and oil. Currently at anchor in Charlett Amalie harbor.

Any advice? Where to get the filters and oil, place to dispose of the used oil? Any tips/tricks to getting the job done?

New owners so all your tips, tricks, goto chandleries/shops appreciated.

Cheers,
onefastdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 15:32   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Time for an oil change

Buy your oil and filters at an auto parts store, I dislike Fram, Like K&N, Mobil 1, but NAPA gold are excellent as are some others.
The auto parts store will dispose of your used oil for free also
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 15:50   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Strive to someday change the oil and never get your hands greasy. Or perhaps a more realistic goal might be, not spill a drop. With 2 engines you will either learn faster or make more messes.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 16:00   #4

Boat: Celestial 48

Make sure you get the proper oil for your diesel engine. Likely 15W-40 API-CI4, API-CJ4 or similar. Check your user manual. Sometimes marked right on engine. Do not use regular automotive oil made for gasoline engines.

Most marinas and fuel docks will take the used oil.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 17:00   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Of course use the correct oil, just often times it's about half the price at an auto parts store.
Old 30-11-2014, 22:12   #6

Boat: Bayfield 25

There's an Advance Auto Parts in Crown Bay by the Niski Shopping Center. They'll probably take the used oil as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sssssailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 22:52   #7

Oil changes are part of the less glamorous side of cruising, but at least you know that the job has been done properly if you do it yourself.

I'm still working on the no mess bit, but offer these tips:

Keep old oil containers to pump used oil into

Amass a large quantity of rags and place them where any oil could spill. Keep a few as reserves.

Change fuel filters first and then run engines to warm up oil and test your work. If you haven't bled fuel system correctly it will be obvious.

Get the oil to the correct temperature. I use the "hot coffee" rule of thumb. If it's the warmth of hot coffee it will be thin ( low viscosity) enough to pump easily, but not hot enough to scald you if you spill on yourself. Warm oil also carries out sediments, so don't pump out cold oil.

Clean the engine and surrounds scrupulously after your service. That way leaks are easily detected between services.

Record what you did, the numbers of filters, the brand and grade of oil, etc. in your Maintenance Log ( you've got one of those, hey?) to refer to next time.

PS. On a L410, first take all bedding to the other end of the boat, unless your bed sheets are already black.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 23:49   #8

Boat: Grand Soleill 41 - Gali

Cut the bottom of a plastic container and keep it under the oil filter to collect the dripping oil when you loosen the filter. Have a container ready to put the old oil filter in immediately after removing it (I use empty coffee cans), never forget to wet the seal of the new filter with oil before installing it. Never trust anything that contain oil (used or new) always place it on a rag.
Good luck

May the good winds always be with you
Old 30-11-2014, 23:50   #9

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
On a L410, first take all bedding to the other end of the boat, unless your bed sheets are already black.
I used to do that but have worked out a far easier way without getting oil over anything.

• Slide the forward engine cover board forward a couple of inches
  • Remove the pillows
  • Fold the forward matress over the aft one with bedding intact and slide it forwards
  • Lie on the double thick matress and remove the board at the aft end
  • Do the oil change (a manual vacuum pump takes 2-3 minutes)
  • Replace the board and unfold the bedding.
The slowest part is filling with oil and getting the level right. The vacuum pump is a no mess solution and really simplifies the operation. I tried the brass oil pumps before and they do make the job a chore.

If replacing the filter, replace the aft board and remove forward one. Access is easy. Use a plastic bag to hold the old filter and a large rag underneath.
Old 01-12-2014, 20:35   #10

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Of course use the correct oil, just often times it's about half the price at an auto parts store.
Costco carries Dello 400 oil in a box of 3 one gallon jugs for very good price. Yes, avoid a marine hardware store on something like this that is used in trucks everywhere.

Costco - Chevron Delo 400 LE Motor Oil SAE 15W-40, 3/1 gal
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 23:42   #11

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

oil filter for my yanmar 2qm20 - from yanmar supplier $25. From a truck spare parts supplier $4.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 23:43   #12

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

On the other hand I hunted around and found the yanmar supplier had the best price on 30 monograde oil
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:23   #13

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
oil filter for my yanmar 2qm20 - from yanmar supplier $25. From a truck spare parts supplier $4.
I get filters from truck spares as well. Just be aware they have bypass valves in them, and they may operate at different pressures. When buying for my 3GM30, the spares guy pulled out one that looked identical. But when I asked about bypass pressures he checked the specs for the Yanmar one in his catalogue and the pressures were very different. He did have a different one with the same specs so that is what I got.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:04   #14

Boat: center console

Keep a plastic container for your oil change pump, loaded with the oil absorbent diapers, as it will continue to drain black oil forever, and watch the dipstick tube, as it will snap and fling black oil everywhere. (Don't ask how I know this).
Shell Rotella is the standard for most diesel oil, available cheapest at walmart, I switched my westy to T6 full synthetic. As for filters, most make a premium line, so avoid the cheapest ones, search online for oil filter comparisons. As others have said, NAPA gold is excellent, made by WIX, but the NAPA silver or fleet line isn't so hot. Take an old one with you to be sure the dimensions will fit your app. Most marinas have a oil disposal tank.
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:29   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I second the Rotella recommendation. It's an excellent oil, but maybe more important it can be found everywhere. At least in the US. I do not know about elsewhere. Using a readily available oil is important to me as I'm one of those that think whenever possible it's best to use only one brand of oil, maybe that isn't as true anymore as it once was?

Tags
oil, oil change