Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 14:42   #16

Re: Thruhull questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The point is that they can corrode and crumble in 5 years, or even less. See post #9 above.
I think the point is that Lagoon through-hulls ARE NOT corroding and crumbling in 5 years or less. In fact, they ARE still functioning 14 years later.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 14:45   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
I think the point is that Lagoon through-hulls ARE NOT corroding and crumbling in 5 years or less. In fact, they ARE still functioning 14 years later.
That's a sample of one, which does not prove anything. A different sample mentioned on this thread in fact showed underwater fittings which had, in fact, crumbled.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 04-03-2017, 14:54   #18

Quote:
That's a sample of one, which does not prove anything. A different sample mentioned on this thread in fact showed underwater fittings which had, in fact, crumbled.

The only other anecdotal example mentioned on this thread had through hull fittings which were replaced after 11 years.

I agree that a sample size of one doesn't prove anything, but can you give ONE example of Lagoon through hulls corroding and crumbling in 5 years or less?
Old 04-03-2017, 19:32   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspeak View Post
In post #9 Sid is a little confusing when describing what actually broke. The reference throughout is to "thruhulls" & yet he says "It had broken at the nipple between the elbow and the valve". This is not the through hull in my language. It is in the fittings after the actual "through hull" or skin fitting. See my photo. He then makes reference to corrosion caused by using brass & bronze adjacent, the elbow & the valve.

As I said, in my case, I found the actual "through hull" to be intact & apparently bronze. I also said that it was wise to replace the elbow & valve which appeared to be chrome plated brass & half of my valves wouldn't close. That is why I replaced all mine.

I'm just reporting what I found. I replaced what I found to be suspect. The "through hulls" were fine. I still have the Trudesign through hulls & will check again at the next haul out & replace if necessary.

But yes, my Lagoon was still floating after 14 years despite all of this.

Dave
You're right, I could have been more clear on that. The actual thru hulls were fine. The valves were fine also and probably could have been reused in a pinch if the corroded fittings could have been removed without damaging the valve's threads. I decided it was false economy trying to save the valves and replaced them all. The fittings were the problem. In the cross section of the broken ones you could clearly see the voids due to de-zinking. Our boat has 13, count 'em, 13 thru hulls. I was amazed and shocked that I was able to snap off 6 of them quite easily. Scary stuff...
Old 05-03-2017, 07:31   #20

Boat: Broadblue 38

Thanks again for all the advice!!!

Since the boat is still not mine and it's far away from my place I have to rely on my pictures I took when looking at the boat so it's hard to estimate the effort needed for this. (I count on at least 10 seacocks to replace)
I would estimate 1-2h work per seacock plus the material (10 seacocks, tails and elbows) and end up with an estimate of on average € 75.- material (according to my local distributor of TRUDESIGN) plus the labour of say € 150.- per "hole" => € 2'250.- if I let a yard do the job.

Is this reasonable or estimate the effort needed completely wrong?

cheers
Jan
CruiserAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:06   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
The only other anecdotal example mentioned on this thread had through hull fittings which were replaced after 11 years.

I agree that a sample size of one doesn't prove anything, but can you give ONE example of Lagoon through hulls corroding and crumbling in 5 years or less?
Five seconds pf Googling produces this post, from a surveyor. With photos. Five years old and crumbling . http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...6674#post46674

The problem is pretty well known.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:32   #22

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Five seconds pf Googling produces this post, from a surveyor. With photos. Five years old and crumbling . Toughest Hulls - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

The problem is pretty well known.

i can't find anything about Lagoon throughull in your linked thread... wrong link maybe?
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:39   #23

Boat: Lagoon 400

would state of thruhulls depend any way on general level of boat galvanic corrosion or are this 2 independent things ?
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 17:12   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
would state of thruhulls depend any way on general level of boat galvanic corrosion or are this 2 independent things ?

Stray current will kill a good quality bronze part. I assume it will kill brass even faster?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 04:11   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
i can't find anything about Lagoon throughull in your linked thread... wrong link maybe?
Yes, you are right -- somehow got the wrong link. I was doing it on my phone. Here's the correct one:

Lagoon "Brass" seacocks &thru-hulls?
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 04:14   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Stray current will kill a good quality bronze part. I assume it will kill brass even faster?
Stray current corrosion is different from galvanic corrosion, which comes from unlike metals.

According to some of the surveyors who have written about problems with the Lagoon underwater fittings, galvanic corrosion -- unlike metals -- may be playing a role in the problems they have been seeing. I don't know whether this is true or not, and it seems odd to me that different grades of brass or bronze would be different enough on the galvanic scale, but this is beyond my expertise.

The question was about the "general level of galvanic corrosion" -- AFAIK, this would not affect through hulls which are not bonded, as they typically are not these days, at least in Europe.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 14:51   #27

Quote:
Yes, you are right -- somehow got the wrong link. I was doing it on my phone. Here's the correct one:

Lagoon "Brass" seacocks &thru-hulls?
No, that link also doesn't mention Lagoon through-hulls.

Lagoon owners, such as the ones on this thread are reporting metal through hull fittings lasting at least 11 and 14 years. I know of many other similiar experiences. Then, along comes someone with exactly the same fittings on exactly the same boat, that crumble in a couple of years. Common sense says that there's probably been a stray electrical current that have prematurely destroyed them. However, CF will still give Lagoon a good slagging.

Either way, it makes a good case for using Marelon or Trudesign fittings.
Old 06-03-2017, 15:38   #28

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

i guess he is talking about this thread

I don't know enough about the subject, except that no thruhull has failed on my boat so far.

What I do know is that the starter of that thread (and other similar threads) had a hidden agenda: he made an offer for my Lagoon 410 back in 2012, about 40% below market price, while at the same time bashing these boats over and over on multiple forums...
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 15:53   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
i guess he is talking about this thread

I don't know enough about the subject, except that no thruhull has failed on my boat so far.

What I do know is that the starter of that thread (and other similar threads) had a hidden agenda: he made an offer for my Lagoon 410 back in 2012, about 40% below market price, while at the same time bashing these boats over and over on multiple forums...
Ok. Good old George. Thanks very much for explaining. The biased agendas of some who post here are quite transparent, but this required an explanation.

Tags
hull