Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2016, 03:33   #1

Boat: currently boatless
Surprise when replacing galley sink top

Hello all,
One of the jobs I had on my very long list of jobs to do on Sunshine was to replace the galley top which holds the sink. The laminate was very worn and faded and there were signs that the wood around the sink was suffering from a form of wet rot.
Well today I decided to get a start and removed the old laminex without to much drama which then cofirmed some major wet rot around the sink and taps. Rather then just take out a section of the top I decided to replace the whole top but this would ental removing the bottom of the window sill. No big deal ( or so I thought)
It became apparent very quickly that the window sill is permananently attached to the door side sill as well as the bottom door sill and all had to come out in one go. Not an easy feat but still relatively straight forward.
Upon removing the whole shebang I got a very rude surprise. The whole of the supporting timber under the sill was rotted out. The rot included the whole peice of tinber under the fibreglass sill extending at least 300mm (1 foot) either side of the door.
It appears from my examination that the water may have entered between the aluminium foot strip on top of the fibreglass step where it meets the door sill. I was very much surprised to see that the door sill does not overhand the aluminium stip and the seal was dependant on a thin layer of sikka flex between the sill and the aluminium foot strip. Any breat would see water go straight onto the top of unsealed marine ply. Over time the water has just turned the ply to mush.
I have cut away all the rotted timber and sourced some of the replacement timber today and will glass it in tomorrow. I intend on sourcing a wider aluminium foot strip so that it slides under the sill to give a better seal and stop water penetrating into the new timber work.
What should have been a days work will not stretch into most of the week. Angry at shoddy work but glad we found the problem and will be able to repair and improve the design so it should not occur again.
Heres a picture of what I first found, not pretty. All that timber was tottaly rotted and has now been removed back to bare glass. For those of you with 410's or models of similar design it might be worth an inspection

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
Lagoon 410 S2
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 15:21   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Surprise when replacing galley sink top

Ain't boat work fun. Seems everything I change on the boat takes geometrically longer time to do than the original estimate.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 16:14   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Yeah, or say an 1887 house.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 16:42   #4

Boat: Catalina 25 swing keel

Look at it this way....you found a future potential problem that by repairing now, you no longer have a future potential problem. Always seems to happen to me as well...start one project and I find or it leads me to something else

Sent from my SM-T320 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rainh2o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 17:56   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Leads me to drink
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 18:08   #6

Looks ugly, Greg and Sue.
The joys of timber in boats. Remember, "no wood, no rot" and be glad your boat isn't completely built of the stuff. I'd replace with high density foam and plenty of glass. If you are keen on timber, at least soak it well with "Everdure" or similar to slow down the decomposition.
I recently replaced the ply benchtops of our L400 because of black edges around the recess for the undermount sinks. I managed to find a fabricator in Brisbane who cut Corian to our template. Removing the old benchtop was a mission; it was glued, screwed and sikaflexed from below. A fridge and a freezer had to be removed and great restraint was required as all timber trim needed to be reused. It was worth the effort; my wife loves the result.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 02:38   #7

Hello all,
well second day and more problems arose as we started to clean all the old rotted timber out. I knew the side cupboard had some rot at the base and was hoping it was only a matter of cutting out a small section of the base and replacing the rotten timber then covering up with repair with a timber strip. Not to be .
The side cupboard panel was not worth repairing but as usual it was not an easy feat removing the panel and putting a new one in. Initially it appeared that the curved timber corner was a seperate piece of timber but this was not the case and the damaged panel and corner were all one piece. Please excuse the photos being in the wrong orientation, there is a problem with the server for my photo editing. Even though I orientate the photos correctly they are coming up sideways (just my luck at the moment )

I used a osicaltting multi tool and made a cut at end of the curve from the top to the bottom. I then removed all the holding screws and shelve (having removed all the cups, plates etc etc) as this was the only way to remove the panel which them made it look like this

After a lot of mucking around the initial fitting of the new peice of timber panelling looked like this.

Thanks Tuskie for the advice re the Everdue but where we are at the moment no one stocks it so I had to go for a good quality estapol and sealed all the edges and other surfaces with a very liberal coating. Not as good as everdure but best I could do given the circumstances.

There were no support plates in the original construction so I have installed several backing plates to the fibreglass step to give extra strength and I hope durability into the main backing plate. I have epoxied these to the existing glasswork. When dry the main backing plate will then be glassed into placed and screwed to the new backing plates. I anticipate doing this tomorrow and then when it drys and can install the main timber support base for the sliding door.

Greg and Sue
Sunshine
Old 16-02-2016, 05:47   #8

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Man can I sympathise with you. My problem was behind the stove and the inner bulkhead. It came out in little confetti pieces. Before during and after pics. Still not done but getting there. It is amazing what a little water and time can do to wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	behindstovea.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	119120   Click image for larger version

Name:	gallery2.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	119121  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0083.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	119122  
Old 20-02-2016, 14:18   #9

Hello all,
well the surprises continued as the project of replacing the bench top continued. While I knew it was not going to be a straight forward job it turned into something with far greater challenges than I could have imagined.
Just recapping to do this job,
1) to remove the bench top you first have to remove the base window frame.
2) to remove the window frame you have to remove the sliding door as the base frame for the window and the door are all one piece.
3) The frame (10 years old) had the paint peeling exposing the alloy beneath it. The unit had been sealed with copious amounts of sika ( or similar) and looked in a pretty shabby state so we decided to have it stripped back to bare metal and new powder coated so it should look new on its return (3 to 4 business days) 4) to remove the bench top the side cupboard has to be dismantled.

5) lots and lots of under galley top screws have to be removed to free the cupboard from the under cupboard.
6) find that bench top extends to the hull sides to support galley top cupboard and have to remove roof which is attached to underside of galley top.
7) Lots of screws required to be removed to free galley top from this area and inside cupboard in starboard hull. With the bench top out you can see where another top has been badly stuck over the original laminate. This caused issues to access the window frame. This top cover had to be removed to remove the timber fiddle safely.

8) The timber fiddle around the benchtop is held on by screws every 100,, (4 inches) Not only is it attached by lots and lots of screws but it is also glued and siliconed in place. Trying to remove the fiddle to recover the wood is a tedious and patient affair. As I could not access the same profile here in Australia I had to recover the wood intact or it was going to cause a major issue. The only way that I could succesfully remove the fiddle was the use of a oscillating tool with a sharp blade and run it along the side and underside of the joint gradually breaking the seal.

Having removed the old timber bench top I could get to work on the new bench top. I used premium quality 18mm (3/4 inch) marine ply cut to size for the job which appears to be what the original benchtop was made from. The benchtop has to be the same thickness as the old one or it will cause issue when re-installing the window sill.

Now that the new top was sitting in place I could fit the new sink. Sue did not like the sink unit with a large and small sink so we sourced a larger single sink with a attached drainer board which will be far more practicle. I do have to drill the new sink to fit the water spout for the foot operated water supply but there is room on the new sink to do this.

Today I am hoping to put the first layer of clear two pak on the new top. It amazed me that there was not protective coating around the edges or underside of the old benchtop which was quite evident where the taps went through the timber as it was competeley rotted due to moisture ingress. We went with the two pak finish instead of laminex just for something different and if need be we can cover it with a laminate at a later date. Hopefully over the next two day I can put together all the components and get our galley back in working order.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
Urangan, Queensland, Australia.
Old 20-02-2016, 14:54   #10

Yep Greg, it sure is a mission!
Good idea to go with a top mount sink as the undermounted ones we have have are impractical to use with a laminated bench top. I asked many professionals and the consensus was that there is no lasting way of edging the inside perimeter around the sinks. No matter what glue or sealant is used it will lift, go black and look rotten. That's why we went with Corian. We thought of going top mounted twin sinks but couldn't source ones that would fit and were deep enough for a boat.
"Sunshine" should look much newer and cleaner after the job is done. There'll be fights about who gets to use the new galley. Cheers.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 19:39   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sir,

I commend your bravery and skill in tackling this difficult job. Well done!

Ann
Old 21-02-2016, 13:56   #12

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

It appears you have run into the same problems I saw. i.e. Trying to figure out how they put it together and then how to take it apart without destroying good pieces. The really hard part was getting started thinking how hard it was going to be. I have never found the many tasks I have done really hard, but definitely time consuming. You can't be in a hurry. It definitely appears you are on the right track.
Old 22-02-2016, 02:51   #13

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Greg & Sue,

I really feel for you, then again I get a sense from you're post that you are feeling some sort of achievement in your getting on top of this "maintenance" that you are doing. Certainly worth some more good reds & a good port when next we meet.

PS also makes Ned & I feel good about the abundance of "glass mouldings" in our L380 instead of the nice rot prone timber. Then again we have been spending the last couple of weeks in Brissie waiting for repairs after a "whoopsie" of our own. Hopefully will catch up with you guys again back in the Whitsundays after the cyclone season.

Dave & Ned

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 14:23   #14

Hi David, we love the timber on the Lagoon and accept that occasionally we may have to repair some of it. We are on our third coat of clear two pak on the bench top. We are sealing all the edges as we go and any timber that was raw in the cupboards.

I must admit I look forward to catching up and sharing that bottle or two or red with you guys. Hope to start our journey north mid to late april but maybe a bit later. Just spoke with the Rigger who returns tomorrow to complete replacing the rigging.

Greg and Sue
Sunshine
Old 22-02-2016, 15:07   #15

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

I have a simular job ahead of me however, I'm looking at HDPE plastic to replace most of the wood. We use this stuff for tooling and various other applications at work and know that it is easily machinable, will last forever, and lastly never rot!
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley