Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2020, 09:43   #1

sugar scoop teak

Could someone tell me how the teak on Lagoon sugar scoops are held in place or how easy it is to remove? The teak on the boat that we are considering (2004 470) is pretty sad. I would consider replacing it with Seadeck or Gatorstep or something of that nature. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
thx
Pig
Seapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 15:59   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: sugar scoop teak

Got a photo?

Sometimes it is not as bad as it looks and it can be sanded back and re-coated, friends did this on a Lagoon 43, looked like new when they finished.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 16:54   #3

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’
sugar scoop teak

Agree with Tin Tin, looks can be deceiving, if you’ve not assessed the actual condition. Teak is a hearty wood used for that purpose, a knowledgeable person can likely bring it back. 2004 is way too new for the teak to need replacement. A pic would help, some let them go grey on purpose, and like the untreated look. If it actually does need to be ripped out, look for other signs of abuse and neglect. My 2005 teak decks look like new following annual treatment.

Cheers!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4167.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	210644
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 04:40   #4

I will attempt to post a picture in the next day or so. Currently my internet connection is so dodgy I can't get anything with a picture to load.
The wood has been worn down well below the rubber or the rubber has expanded well above the wood I am not sure which, possibly a combination. Several of the pieces are cracked and splintered and loose. The rest of the teak on the boat is a bit sad but looks like it will respond to love and elbow grease.
Seapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 04:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seapig View Post
I will attempt to post a picture in the next day or so. Currently my internet connection is so dodgy I can't get anything with a picture to load.
The wood has been worn down well below the rubber or the rubber has expanded well above the wood I am not sure which, possibly a combination. Several of the pieces are cracked and splintered and loose. The rest of the teak on the boat is a bit sad but looks like it will respond to love and elbow grease.
The normal production boat technique is to vacuum bag a complete teak deck Panel onto the deck

The adhesive is normally a rubber like compound , epoxy is sometimes used

To remove you must tear it apart bit by bit

A circular saw , set to teak thickness , cut across the planking lay at perhaps 100mm intervals

A chisel or tool is them used to break the teak off

Once 90 percent of the wood is gone a grinder with 36 - 60 grit is used to clean up the surface
slug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
teak