Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2011, 03:31   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440, Alo 96 MS
Square-Top Mainsail

Hi all,

I need a new mainsail for a L440 and was thinking of getting a square top.

I got a quote from a sailmaker, it was a little bit more than the standard main. But the sailmaker says the square head has some serious disadvantages.

I quote:
"You should be aware that a square head mainsail will not fold into the
Stackpack unless you remove the headboard and top slide from the mast track each time you lower the sail, and re install when you raise the sail, which could be a major pain depending on the luff system."

Is there anyone here who has experienced this?

Thanks
Kjartan
Mikromidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 04:44   #2

Boat: 33' Seawind 1000 Cat
Re: Square top mainsail

I can see where that might be an issue. I have a square top on my 27 Stiletto cat, but the sail stores off the boom below decks so I don't know how it would "stack".

If your going for all out performance and want the square top, just count on modify the sail cover and go for it. I understand a 440 is quite a good sailing boat so the extra trouble might be worth it. If you were on a Prout.. I'd say... "why".

The square top creates a better aspect ratio, but it's main purpose for my boat is to be able to lift a hull easier with better control. Your "lifting moment" or primary thrust is higher on the mast, I can control lee hull lift with the main sheet much easier with it.. therefore skimming the lee hull for max speed. (I've seen 24.6 knots) Lifting a hull on a Lagoon might take more than a big sail... lol.

IMO It's pretty easy to question the use of a square top on a cruising boat.... unless you see a lot of regattas... that being said, I'd think about it seriously for my Seawind when the time comes so I'm one to talk....... lol.

In fact I think you have, as we say in the south "Flung a cravin' on me" for a square top just thinking about it.....

SYL
Old 19-08-2011, 05:21   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Yawl Later View Post
I can see where that might be an issue. I have a square top on my 27 Stiletto cat, but the sail stores off the boom below decks so I don't know how it would "stack".

If your going for all out performance and want the square top, just count on modify the sail cover and go for it. I understand a 440 is quite a good sailing boat so the extra trouble might be worth it. If you were on a Prout.. I'd say... "why".

The square top creates a better aspect ratio, but it's main purpose for my boat is to be able to lift a hull easier with better control. Your "lifting moment" or primary thrust is higher on the mast, I can control lee hull lift with the main sheet much easier with it.. therefore skimming the lee hull for max speed. (I've seen 24.6 knots) Lifting a hull on a Lagoon might take more than a big sail... lol.

IMO It's pretty easy to question the use of a square top on a cruising boat.... unless you see a lot of regattas... that being said, I'd think about it seriously for my Seawind when the time comes so I'm one to talk....... lol.

In fact I think you have, as we say in the south "Flung a cravin' on me" for a square top just thinking about it.....

SYL
Little bit of thread drift, -but sorry,- can't resist.

Lee hull lift--with main sheet.? Pray tell how. What point of sail?

I sailed Tornados for 15 yrs, and I've nose-dived, barrel-rolled, pitch-poled, and even got clothes-pegged by Canadian national champion in U.S Nationals, But never lifted a lee hull.
Old 19-08-2011, 05:40   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I've also wondered how they behve in very strong winds, deeply reefed.

We first started to see the square heads on wind surfers and skiffs, where they had the advantage of automatically dumping the leach in a puff. I too have sail performance cats for years (Prindle, Stiletto) but now have a no-backstay cruising cat and am considering a new main (PDQ). The boat is underpowered much of the time and a little kick would be nice. I'm inclined to think an intermidiate aproach makes more sence (more roach, particulary up high, but not a square head).
Old 19-08-2011, 05:57   #5

Boat: 33' Seawind 1000 Cat

Lee hull... lol

Thanks for catching that.... no excuse.. just got in a hurry typing... lol

I guess I meant to say windward hull huh...¿

I can't believe I did that... no matter how hard I hide it... sometimes that redneck just won't go away.. lol

Thanks for not letting me flop around stupid too long on that one....
Old 19-08-2011, 06:40   #6

Now I'm Disappointed I was planning on showing my mates a thing or two this afternoon.
Old 19-08-2011, 06:44   #7

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60

Blue Stocking,

More thread drift here but a question for you...

nose-dived, barrel-rolled, pitch-poled, Those I get. Even done couple of them on Hobies. But what is clothes-pegged by Canadian national champion in U.S Nationals. ??
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 07:13   #8

Doing the wire on Jerry Houlton-built, West system Tornado.
Other boat hard on the wind, on starboard. Flying starboard hull.
We where running well to his leeward.
He was blinded by his main, bore off onto us. No place for us to go.
Hit us head on, his forward beam, thru our port hull stem, horizontal for about 2 feet, back to our forestay bridle chainplate bulkhead. Both boat stayed afloat. 15 g 20kn, nice mess.
Racing--what can you say.
Old 19-08-2011, 07:22   #9

Another approach would be to devise a "quick pin" system that would enable you to disconnect the head of the main from the headboard leaving the headboard on the track. Then the main should fold flat with the rest of the sail.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 07:29   #10

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikromidas View Post
Hi all,

I need a new mainsail for a L440 and was thinking of getting a square top.

I got a quote from a sailmaker, it was a little bit more than the standard main. But the sailmaker says the square head has some serious disadvantages.

I quote:
"You should be aware that a square head mainsail will not fold into the
Stackpack unless you remove the headboard and top slide from the mast track each time you lower the sail, and re install when you raise the sail, which could be a major pain depending on the luff system."

Is there anyone here who has experienced this?

Thanks
Kjartan
Kjartan, you must be useing the wrong sailmaker.
I have it 380, the new 400 has it ,421, 450, just get him to make the same system as "Incidens" use when new Lagoons gets.
My main folds nicely in the stackpack.

Geir Ove
careka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mainsail