Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2015, 09:28   #1

Spec'ing out a new 42 -must haves & leave it off

To all of you Lagoon owners (or similar cats) out there who've got some time on your new rigs as either liveaboards or are on it for long stretches I would be interested in your opinions on how you would do it if you were building her again from scratch. I'm not really talking about budget/value as much as I am the PITA (pain in the a..) factor, going both ways: having it and not using it & it breaks down or requires high maintenance...or the trouble it is to retro-fit after the fact. Price/resale is not the concern as much as is just enjoying the experience of being out there.

Background info, would be long stretches of living onboard 6-8 months with some breaks in between or 1-2 months, then right back on it. Mostly trade wind sailing with the very occasional crewed longer passage (such as the ARC). Bunch of Island hopping and exploring in tropical locations starting in the Med then the Caribbean, maybe farther. Owning the boat for 5 years, before either trading up/down or out completely. I 100% understand that I'm getting opinions on the internet and people feel strongly about these things, but I'm asking anyway!

1) Generator - seems like a no-brainer that I would want this, but I've been told you can always add it later if needed and it will help performance without it there.
2) Air conditioning - If its mainly me and my gf, I'm not super concerned, with having it, but summertime in the tropics can get toasty/humid. re-assure me I can do without...
3) Watermaker -seems to be a real high maintenance item
4) Icemaker - I like a cold cocktail & don't want to have to run to shore every day to make an ice run...but those of you out there, what are your thoughts?
5) Extra display at the Nav station - can't I just use my Ipad?
5) Electric toilets - no experience with these here
6) Code 0 Rig - yes/no?
7) Under bed slats - ?
8) Washer/Dryer - at first I'm saying no way...but hauling bed sheets and towels to the laundry mat could be a real pain.
9) Dingy - have it already there or go by my own
10) AIS - seems like it would be a nice feature

Assume the boat would be loaded other than these what-ifs. Also just curious if I have missed any sort of aftermarket type option/addition. Thanks for your help & opinions, let them fly!
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 13:59   #2

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2
Re: Spec'ing out a new 42 -must haves & leave it off

Here's my three cents, based on speccing out a 400 not too long ago:

1) Generator - seems like a no-brainer that I would want this, but I've been told you can always add it later if needed and it will help performance without it there.

You will need to think about power if you are going to spend a lot of time at anchor, which you will in the Caribbean. The generator is the traditional approach, especially if you choose AC, but a number of people are going solar-only as that technology improves. If you are going to do this, installing at the factory saves a lot of trouble, even if it is pricey.

2) Air conditioning - If its mainly me and my gf, I'm not super concerned, with having it, but summertime in the tropics can get toasty/humid. re-assure me I can do without...

Many go without, or choose to AC only part of the boat (i.e. salon and owner's cabin). If you do choose it, the factory install will save headaches. They do charge quite a premuim for AC.

And it is, but nearly essential for comfortable cruising. This can be installed fairly easily post-factory, but the factory dual-voltage version is a good one.

4) Icemaker - I like a cold cocktail & don't want to have to run to shore every day to make an ice run...but those of you out there, what are your thoughts?

You have to give up a fridge for the icemaker, and I've met no one who thought that was a useful tradeoff. Ice cube trays still work just fine , as do portable ice makers.

You sure can, works great.

The tradeoff is obvious, it's a luxury item. That being said, I think most people get them as the upgrade isn't too expensive. My dealer then subsequently upgraded them to fresh water flush to avoid smells.

6) Code 0 Rig - yes/no?

I got it, but have yet to fly a Code 0/Gennaker on it, so I can't tell you. I think people who just cruise end up with only one foresail, and seems like a spinnaker of some sort is the obvious choice. I don't think the spinnaker needs the pole or rig (and certainly not the furler).

7) Under bed slats - ?

They're nice.

8) Washer/Dryer - at first I'm saying no way...but hauling bed sheets and towels to the laundry mat could be a real pain.

Again, a luxury item many people, but not everyone, finds useful. This can be installed after the fact at considerable savings if you buy a normal household model and toss it after a few years.

Skip the factory dinghy, it's overpriced and obviously you can get whatever you want later.

Critical for any long distance cruising.
Whomda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 15:02   #3

I'd probably get the air conditioning, just because if you ever need it, it's a godsend, and it's so much better to have the proper install. The generator sort of along the same lines. You did say the med and the tropics, right?
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 19:35   #4
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450
Spec'ing out a new 42 -must haves & leave it off

Penny wise pound foolish.....

I added whatever l thought would add value to our sailing experience and lifestyle, granted l did NOT want to add items after market so l spent a lot more money than some might but l was once YOUNG and silly and now l am OLD and wiser l know that this life is the real deal so do what you need to do now as this is NOT the rehearsal it's the real thing!

Don't skimp on yourself or your family 😎😎😎😎

PS - The New L42 looks like a really nice design 👍

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 18-12-2015, 22:16   #5

If you are full time live aboard on anchor there is no such thing as to much:

Fresh Water
Hot Water
Refrigeration

All of this is achieved by having lots of power available at a price you are comfortable with paying either for the installation (solar etc) or running costs generator. Or to be sure go for min 2 kW of solar with a 3 to 6 kW Inverter and 10 to 15 kW generator.
That is only my opinion, but it has worked for us.
PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 22:57   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Some of the Carribean islands can be sweltering hot and muggy in the summer without AC. it isn't a requirement but it is really nice to have.

Once you add AC a generator is pretty much require. As for size of the generator... Size it so that you can run it for AC at night, while also running the water maker at the same time. This way you sleep well, top off the tanks, and keeping the batteries charged.

We loved out ice maker, but it wasn't necessary. Ice will last a week or more so it's only a trip every few days.

The rest are luxuries, but nice to have. But I wouldn't buy a factory dinghy, their markup is normally rediculious.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 07:15   #7

Thanks for the great replies gents! Very helpful indeed. Like I mentioned its really more about comfort at anchor and as little hassle as possible. Lord knows there are going to be problems, just want to make sure I can avoid any silly mistakes right from the get go.

Have any of you taken delivery in France? Since I've got nothing but time on my hands and the boat is already over on that side of the world, I figure it would be foolish not to go check it out. It seems a lot more challenging to get to the Mediterranean to go cruising once the boat is in the Caribbean!
Old 19-12-2015, 09:25   #8
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

For us, doing a similar style cruising, we have specced both new lagoons pretty much the same way and would do so again without any changes. The 42 ...maybe a genset, maybe not

I'd prefer solar, around 1Kw. We manage fine without any alternate power source, but maybe with the larger 42 the weight impact would be less and handy for long passages to know you can back up the batteries after a few days of no sun. I would compare lagoons price with an aftermarket install of a very small and light genset.
No need at all in the Caribbean unless you plan on chartering through a company that thinks you have to have it for guests. We did buy a small portable one for €250 for use if at the dock for extended periods. It works great, cools the whole boat and easy to stow in a cupboard. It wa mainly for if we wanted to leave our dog inside with everything closed to keep him cool. Rarely do we feel we need it, but occasionally we have used it. It would also run off solar or a genset easily.
Must have, but a couple of grand cheaper aftermarket and a more efficient system than the desolator. (Aquabase 65l/h)
Not needed or buy a portable one
Yep, iPad and PC. PC at the Nav desk with opencpn plugged into the AIS with a USB works great and nice to have an alternate backup system
We don't have them but maybe yes. The benifit being less blockages with a macerate and easier for guests to use without blocking
6) Code 0 Rig - yes/no?
Nope, buy a wingaker or parasailor for the same money
7) Under bed slats - ?
Maybe, we just use the rubber mesh available from chandlers to ventilate.
Not for us, but another maybe. We just do laundry once a month or so when nearby a marina. easy enough. Occasionally wash in a tub on the transom step if we feel the need.
You will want it straight away. Lagoon often include them as a special boat show deal. Just price around and see what is best. Highfield so are excellent dinghys
Yes and lagoons price is reasonable

Also make sure you have folding props, maybe upgraded engines, teak cockpit floor, radar is nice too

Assume the boat would be loaded other than these what-ifs. Also just curious if I have missed any sort of aftermarket type option/addition. Thanks for your help & opinions, let them fly![/QUOTE]
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 11:29   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

All good gear and equipment and plenty of advice here. One thing I tell people on a new boat. You got to decide are you a 12vt boat or a 110vt boat. IE depending on batteries for everything and recharging with wind/solar and dock or are you going to have real electrical power (110/220). The 12vt is cheaper, the 110vt boat is way more comfortable because now you have everything you have at home, Air con, easier refrigeration and a watermaker. If you decide the 110vt route then you should think about 110vt watermakers and such. One thing about the washer dryer, it takes about 30-40 gals of water to do a load in one of those all in one machines. You'll have to have a high capacity water maker to do that (IE probably 110vt). On 110vt water maker vs 12vt. I have installed a lot of 1200 a day 110vt watermakers which most cruisers would think is nuts depending upon the size of the boat, but they were installed because they could supply 50 gallons of water in an hour. Most folks like the 12vt spectra at a gallon an amp and it works great.

I did have a client I sold a Leopard 40 to a few years ago that was an ex charter boat. He took the forward stb hull and converted it to workshop/laundry and he bought these smaller European looking 110vt washer dryer units that fit in there and were separate units. They were small apartment size but way cheaper than the all in one units that wash and dry.

I might have some pictures of it and will try and upload here but have had trouble getting that to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4120324.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	115307  
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 12:25   #10
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yep. We are 12V I guess. The inverter is another option we fit aftermarket for a better unit/price. 1600W inverter allows us to run most household 220V items. Kettle, vacuum cleaner, juicer and portable aircon, but if you take the step up to fitted aircon a genset would be needed. But never at anchor have we desired an aircon. Another plus for a genset is the ability to run a small 220V dive compressor. If you are taking delivery in Le sable then sailing down to La Rochelle for any aftermarket additions is worthwhile. Have a chat to Pierre at Uchimata and fit out at accastalige diffusion.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 16:22   #11

Here's my two cents worth..
Lived on our 421 3 years and 26,000 mls.. Sold
I look forward to ordering the new 420, but back on land for now...

1/ Gen.. Had the 4kw on ours.. Would not have one next time..Have solar that's all you'll need.. Do the odd top up running an engine if needed.. The Gen will be your biggest service item by far if you choose that option..Also the house bank charge rate is determined by you charger sizes... 2x40 amp.. If your sure you need a gen then double the size of the chargers to halve your gen time..
2/ Air con Never needed one... Med Caribbean Pacific.. If you know your going to spend many nights in a marina in Asia etc then maybe..
3/ Water maker for sure... Ours was the desalator 12v / 240v model 100l/hr..
Can honestly say I never touched it once in three years..Never having to go in for water and knowing your quality is good are big pluses..of course you have filter to change.
4/ Ice maker never had or needed..
5/ Extra display never had or needed.. Get ipads.
6/ Electric toilets Yes Yes.. they are simple enough to service once you get your head around doing so... Encourage everyone to multiple flush while using them...And always flush through a full bowl of water once finished, will limit your problems..Biggest problems come from hair and fibre (mango etc) binding in macerator..
7/ I had a Genaka and used often. Found it a good down wind option, to butterfly with the Genoa. Gives you two easily furled sails if things get rough..
8/ Washer is a must.. never had a dryer option.. And wash in cold water to limit power draw..
9/ yes to slats...though you will need to add a mattress on top of the Lagoon issue..
10/ Ais is a must.. Makes sailing near shipping so much safer.. Knowing your closest point of approach as indicated can save you doing a whole lot of unnecessary maneuvering.

An option to add is a good size display of House bank voltage.. That you know is connected right at the batteries... (not the distribution panel voltage) as Lagoon tend to indicate..

Good luck with your travels..
sailing it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 23:12   #12

I would consider a genset only if A/C is installed. Otherwise my preference is solar panels and probably something on the line of Duogen.
We have, but seldom use. Never underway and (very) rarely on anchor. We do use it during hot months in a marina if berthed in a direction that the wind does not blow through the hatches.
Would not cross an ocean without one (did it twice without - never again!).
We have two refrigerators, one is a full time freezer.
For long passages we use it to store frozen meets, frozen bread, ice-cream, etc. We like it very much. We do enjoy the ice-cubes but it is a secondary consideration to the option of deep-frozen food.
I believe you can. We have a large mobile PC, used at shore for email and Internet. Besides managing all our boat history/maint/documents I have installed an OpenCPN & C-Map system (with small GPS puck antenna). It is our backup for navigation to the main boat navigation system.
Had them installed against our wish. Like them immensely now!
Just carry a spare macerator pump.
6) Code 0 Rig - yes/no?
Money and space question. While parasailor (or wingacker) may be very useful going downwind on trades, the code zero may very useful when sailing at 60-130deg to the apparent wind and it will be very easy to deploy on a furler. The rig may be installed aftermarket but I would ask the factory to install it.
7) Under bed slats - ?
We have and like - good ventilation under mattresses.
We do not have and discuss the issue constantly. No real idea here...
You may go by your own but install a dinghy during commissioning, not later. Check the space between sterns for length and consider the engine size you really want (too large - weight and fuel issues, too small - speed and manoeuvrability)
A must in my opinion. How about a radar though? AIS and radar complement each other.

Someone mentioned electricity monitoring - we have Mastervolt screen with several shunts. Gives excellent report of what is going on (voltages and remaining charge status of the banks/systems we have wanted to monitor).
Galvanic isolator?
Satellite comms for ocean crossings?
Old 20-12-2015, 08:39   #13

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

You'll want an autopilot. An absolute must for safety and having fun on your boat on passages. A chartplotter would be nice unless you have all the paper charts/GPS and know how to plot. And radar. The other responses are good for the other stuff you listed. I don't know what batteries come with the boat you are looking at but you need to do your own analysis on how much battery capacity you need and of what type. And then you can evaluate your alternator, AC battery charger, and solar needs. I would highly recommend solar panels.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 10:41   #14

Boat: Outremer 42

My thoughts
1 A good battery monitor
2 A VHF with AIS in it. Avoids another GPS and means really low nav amps consumption when going offshore. Turn everything else off and it gives you CPA alarms, etc. Keep a spare GPS in the oven (lightning).
3 Wouldn't bother with a plotter now - just an iPad with a wifi multiplexer in the nav backbone. Works with linux & OpenCPN beautifully which you have on a laptop as well as the tablet.
4 Not sure about a code zero as opposed to a symmetrical spinnaker from the second-hand store. Tacked to each bow and the halliard position changed once or twice a day to avoid chafe. Easy to use downwind which is mostly what you'll be doing and saves your main and jib. When it wears out, throw it away and get another.
5 Electric toilet. Sounds crazy but really works well and much less prone to blockage. Amp consumption very small.
6 Generator. Not sure whether you want to go to 250/110 or else 12v. If you stay with 12v, then a combined wind and water generator to back up the plentiful solar you're putting in......
7 Dinghy. You decide after you've got the boat as it depends on what you want. As someone else said, make sure the installation is there.
8 Satphone.

Finally - what fun! What a problem to have.
out42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 13:21   #15

Wow, what helpful replies...thanks guys! The biggest thing in the responses that have popped up is off-shore communications. So originally I thought I would just buy a Sat phone, I'm wondering with technology moving so fast is there something if money were no object that you would equip this little 42' boat with from a connectivity and communications standpoint?