Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2018, 16:23   #1

Sold on a 450. Dammit!

Well,
I’m driving home now after spending the afternoon with my broker and we toured a few different boats. I’m pleasantly ticked off because, well, my wife, I and my two kids love the L450.

Pleasant because I’m glad that the reality of the boat lived up to the expectations I had built in my head altering hearing you all talk about it.

Ticked because now I have to get one and no other build will do. I wish I could have felt the same way walking onto a model half the price but oh well....

We checked out the owners version and the charter version and (just my luck) there was no contest there - it would have to be an outrageously good deal for me to consider anything but an owners version at this point.

Just wanted to say thanks to you all for the pointers/advice. Putting the home up this spring with the hope to launch mid/late 2019 or first part of 2020. Plenty of time to make well-informed decisions and keep my eye out for the deal of the century.

DAMMIT!!!
timinfla2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 19:38   #2

Re: Sold on a 450. Dammit!

Congrats!

Would three kids have made a difference in your decision? Love the idea of the owners version and having the kids on the other side of the boat, but the kids may all need their own space.
TheGoldenFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 20:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by timinfla2 View Post
Well,
I’m driving home now after spending the afternoon with my broker and we toured a few different boats. I’m pleasantly ticked off because, well, my wife, I and my two kids love the L450.

Pleasant because I’m glad that the reality of the boat lived up to the expectations I had built in my head altering hearing you all talk about it.

Ticked because now I have to get one and no other build will do. I wish I could have felt the same way walking onto a model half the price but oh well....

We checked out the owners version and the charter version and (just my luck) there was no contest there - it would have to be an outrageously good deal for me to consider anything but an owners version at this point.

Just wanted to say thanks to you all for the pointers/advice. Putting the home up this spring with the hope to launch mid/late 2019 or first part of 2020. Plenty of time to make well-informed decisions and keep my eye out for the deal of the century.

DAMMIT!!!
How do you feel about needing a step ladder to touch the gooseneck?

BTW..love where you live. I used to reside on the other side of Mathers bridge while attending FIT.
Old 11-08-2018, 20:39   #4

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Well,

DAMMIT!!!

Congratulations, a great boat I think.

We owned an L450 for 6 years until Irma took her down. Loved the boat.

The fly bridge is awesome! The boat sails very well for such a fat cat. We did the Atlantic crossing west bound on her, in less than perfect weather, and she handled brilliantly. Up and down the Carib in perfect comfort. We even raced her in the Heineken Regatta a few years for a laugh and she did great against others in our class.

The fly bridge is a great place to hang out while Sailing. I also found that the visibility from there was very good.and we were mostly not affected by spray/waves. Of course the trade off is the high boom. Had to climb up a few times for issues which were made more difficult because of the height, but I still think it was worth it.

The one thing my wife would have done differently is the cabins. We had an owner version, which is great. However, when our kids and their friends all wanted to join us, we wished we had the 4th cabin.

Cheers!!
Catopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:55   #5

Boat: 2006 Leopard 40

They're great boats!
We were aboard a number of them in the Caribbean, they make great family boats.
One of the best boats we spent time on just got listed for sale, it is very well kept up. Grab it while you can!:
https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/ya...eorges/6780234
amiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:54   #6

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I know of an absolute killer 450 owners version that is about to come on the market. Its not only loaded with great gear, but also comes with tons of toys. She is pretty much ready to hop on a go cruising.

I have no connection to the boat other than I cruised with the current owners for 2 years. Not sure if you are ready to buy yet, but if you are interested, PM me and I can put you in contact with the owners.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
How do you feel about needing a step ladder to touch the gooseneck?

BTW..love where you live. I used to reside on the other side of Mathers bridge while attending FIT.
I'll be darned! Mathers bridge is right down the road, how cool.

Yea, that step up will be more of an issue with some than others. I'm a fairly tall guy at 6'3" so I can pretty easily step right on to the roof of the salon if needed without too much effort, but I've seen some folks put in an aftermarket step between the two forward salon portholes to assist in the maneuver.

Reminds me of the tailgates they put in the ford trucks now where there's a step that folds down from the top of the liftgate and a pole that props up so you can have a handhold while stepping into and out of the truck.

My biggest issue is this sort of boat is at the far top end of my price range as I was hoping to pay cash and not have to take out a loan. It seems that I may end up needing a small loan after all unless the deal of the century comes about and it passes a solid survey.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catopia View Post
Congratulations, a great boat I think.

We owned an L450 for 6 years until Irma took her down. Loved the boat.

The fly bridge is awesome! The boat sails very well for such a fat cat. We did the Atlantic crossing west bound on her, in less than perfect weather, and she handled brilliantly. Up and down the Carib in perfect comfort. We even raced her in the Heineken Regatta a few years for a laugh and she did great against others in our class.

The fly bridge is a great place to hang out while Sailing. I also found that the visibility from there was very good.and we were mostly not affected by spray/waves. Of course the trade off is the high boom. Had to climb up a few times for issues which were made more difficult because of the height, but I still think it was worth it.

The one thing my wife would have done differently is the cabins. We had an owner version, which is great. However, when our kids and their friends all wanted to join us, we wished we had the 4th cabin.

Cheers!!
Hey there Catopia, good to know about your thoughts on the heads/layout. I thought the same thing before getting on it in person but having been there, holy smokes I can't imagine how you couldn't fit 20 people on there haha! Yea, they might not have a 'cabin' but they'd definitely have plenty of places to sleep especially if they were anything like me as a kid. Shoot, I can't imagine the fight I'd put up to be able to grab a blanket/pillow and crash out on the trampoline covered in bug spray :-) Heck, at my age even, I still may...

Since this is going to be a liveaboard I figured we (the wife and I) would very much appreciate the privacy the owner's hull would provide us but then again - it's not like we'd ever be cruising with strangers so... who knows.

My broker was telling me that whenever he chartered a 450, it seemed everybody wanted to be on the flybridge, even when at anchor because the breezes and the views were so much better. I know it sure does give a ton of extra seating options...

Thanks for sharing your experiences, I'll be opening my mind a bit further to consider a non-owner version setup.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:34   #9

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Quote:
Yea, that step up will be more of an issue with some than others. I'm a fairly tall guy at 6'3" so I can pretty easily step right on to the roof of the salon if needed without too much effort, but I've seen some folks put in an aftermarket step between the two forward salon portholes to assist in the maneuver.

Reminds me of the tailgates they put in the ford trucks now where there's a step that folds down from the top of the liftgate and a pole that props up so you can have a handhold while stepping into and out of the truck.
I don't think it was the step up onto the salon roof he was referencing. It's the fact that once on the salon roof, you need to climb 3 tall steps up the mast to secure the main sail at the end of the day.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:45   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
I don't think it was the step up onto the salon roof he was referencing. It's the fact that once on the salon roof, you need to climb 3 tall steps up the mast to secure the main sail at the end of the day.
Ah, I misunderstood! Yea, I'm not thrilled about that. Then again, I'm not thrilled at the fact that I have the perfect face for radio but here I am making do. I imagine I'll do the same should my day ever come on the 450
Old 12-08-2018, 14:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post

There is no need to climb any steps to secure the mainsail. Slide a boat hook up inside the lazy bag to grab the halyard and pull it down, put it through a snap hook on a strop tied to mast base and then tighten the halyard - really simple and easy to do. We very rarely use the steps on the mast. In fact they are so rarely used they are gummed up. We have cruised this boat 4 years full time. We started out moaning about the high boom, then quickly worked out how to manage it and it's not the big drama it is made out to be.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 15:15   #12

Just another point about the high boom, any one shorter than 5ft 3 (is not going to get their head clocked by the boom on the cabin top when gybing or the boom is swinging in sloppy seas - one less worry for younger children. We once had a 38 ft dagger board cat with mainsheet and traveller running across the cockpit rear beam. We did an accidental gybe once, the mainsheet caught me on the back of the neck and a block disintegrated causing a shrapnel wound to my wife's leg. Having raced monohulls and cats over many years the low boom is not something to be envied on a cruising boat, especially those that have sun beds parked just a couple of feet below the boom.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 05:54   #13

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

Great choice! You should check out the 450S. I know Bean Counter would prefer one [emoji6]
Old 13-08-2018, 06:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
Great choice! You should check out the 450S. I know Bean Counter would prefer one [emoji6]
I’d be very interested to learn his perspective.
Old 13-08-2018, 07:12   #15

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Well,

DAMMIT!!!
:-) If you get a good boat at a good price, you can't go wrong with an L450. It's a gorgeous yacht.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote