Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2015, 05:49   #16

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: Snagging list and build quality new Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspeak View Post
Wow you just talked me out of moving our L380 down to Sydney to do any work on it.

Last haul out 2 years ago had antifoul done with Micron 66, new seals to sail drives, replaced ball valves & oil to sail drives, 2 days labour of guy helping me buff, hard stand for a week while waiting for sail drive shafts to be filled where seals had worn, a second hand prop to replace one with worn rubber hub ..... All for AUD$6,800 up here in Cardwell, North Queensland.

Plus we got to do as much as we wanted & stay on board & use their showers & toilets. They gave us a security key to get in & out.

City prices are ridiculous by the sounds.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
This are Sydney Harbour prices. There may be cheaper places elsewhere but I am still working thru options.

I will mark Cardwell as live near by, in Mission Beach.

Until further notice, in big city for work.

BTW, how does L38 holds up there regarding mold and osmosis ?
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 09:05   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Cartman, £5000 is more then enough. We have owned ours for over a year and spent well under £1000 on maintaining it to date and next year should be similar, including new bottom paint.
A lot of people recommend calculating the ten year maintainance costs. Including new rigging, new sails, engines, electronics etc and dividing by 10 to come up with the maintainance figure per year. Somehow they often come up with ridiculous percentages like 10% of the boat cost. I recommend allowing a reasonable figure (£1000-£2000) and selling/upgrading before replacements are due. I don't include mooring or insurance as maintainance. These are running costs. I also don't include upgrades. Maintainance to me is keeping the boat and equipment in as close to new condition as possible. Costs to you might be more than mine if you don't clean the boat and hull yourself.
Having owned one boat for over thirty years, and the other for over ten, I can tell you that if you don't keep up with things and plan on selling before replacements are due, you are likely to take a big hit in "depreciation". Condition does matter! I use the ten year average, and it' not pretty, however, and includes things like new upholstery, canvas, sails, rig, dinghy,etc. etc. way beyond engine hoses and filters!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 09:32   #18

I believe that home and boat builders came up with the term "snag list" because it sounds so much better than "list of things we ****ed up".
Old 24-06-2015, 10:33   #19

My advice is to have in the purchase contract some form of retention, a couple of % of the purchase price will do. Don't pay this until all rectification is complete and no sooner than 6 months from delivery. Also ensure that all marina charges paid by dealer until satisfactory handover.
Do not accept handover until the majority of defects have been rectified. Watch the commissioning process like a hawk and take lots of photos, time stamped of start and finish of various job like antifouling. Make sure you have written specifications for jobs such as antifouling. Consider a survey prior to handover, especially if you have concerns.
Check your boat insurance policy has an add on legal policy that covers faulty works, certainly in UK most do. Check that if boat needs haul out for rectification you don't pay, for haul and storage charges.
Finally if the commissioning yard says we don't like customers watching the work, go elsewhere.

I just wish I had taken my advice

:-(

Ab

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Abgreenbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 09:10   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 411

I can't comment on Lagoons but i bought a new Beneteau through Ancasta 15 years ago.. Not a happy experience. Very poor attention to detail and finish.. I'm sure they're better now...! I can't help thinking that if only yachts were built by car manufacturers the quality of finish would be immeasurably improved.. After all, we pay the equivalent of Bentley / Rolls Royce prices, and the finish is often appalling..! Oh well.. Dream on!
Jonathancpwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 06:55   #21

Boat: Lagoon 450
Snagging list and build quality new Lagoon 400

Having owned our Lagoon for some 18 months our actual maintenance cost are less than £1200/year excluding warranty repairs. The boat and a majority of its components are fine and reliable. Some of what i read above seems negative and unfair to a new owner and, yes, any boat, production or custom, will have its issues.

Steve
L450
SV Emerald Sea
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400