Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2016, 04:07   #1

Boat: lagoon 400s2
Shower filter

Hello, maybe a dumb question but can anyone let me know where the shower drain filters are located in a Lagoon400S2 ? The stainless drain covers in our 2 shower cabins (1 in each hull) are screwed in with two screws, and glued with sika or something of the kind.
The drain hose goes under the bathroom floor towards the pump, and from the pump directly to the collector and out to the through hull outlet.
I can't find a shower drain filter installed anywhere, however Lagoon advises to "regularly clean all shower drain filters..."
So are they directly under the stainless drain cover? before I start prying those away I thought I ask you guys....

Thanks !
jugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 10:12   #2

Boat: islandpacket
Re: Shower filter

Maybe its just the English translation, could filter mean strainer? As in the shower pan drain cover, strainer, grate, filter. Just a thought.
Old 26-11-2016, 10:15   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

I presume there is a pump to empty the shower sump. Most pumps will have a filter/strainer fitted close the pump on the suction side.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 11:09   #4

Thanks for the replies,
Badsanta , it could indeed be a translation issue ... still didn't find a strainer neither, the stainless cover just has a drainhole in it where the water is sucked in by the pump - my little toe almost shared the same fate recently, that pump doesn't play around !
And Nigel, I checked before the pump and could not locate a strainer there neither?

Maybe inside the pump, but I'm hesitant to dissect that one, it doesn't make sense they would install something that needs regularly cleaning in such a difficult way ?
Old 26-11-2016, 13:38   #5

Boat: Lagoon 400

There are no strainers installed the L400 shower other than the grill in the shower floor , the Gulper pumps they fit are very good quality, 5 years and we have not had any issues, best advice would be to operate regularly as with most equipment on board.
Old 26-11-2016, 13:51   #6

Thanks for clearing that out Katsumi ! Don't understand why they would recommend regularly cleaning filters/strainers and then not install these ?
Lagoon logic I guess ...
Old 26-11-2016, 15:34   #7

On all of my boats I have zip-tied a short piece of stocking to the incoming hose to the sump, when it gets nasty it gets tossed and a new one added, easier than cleaning all that hair out of the system
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 19:35   #8

They upgraded the design of the shower drain from the old collection box with level switch and filter to the new Gulper (diaphragm) pump and timer, but nobody told the section that writes the maintenance manuals. Would be my guess.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 01:51   #9

Fair enough Paul. For me, as a Lagoon newbie who didn't get much explanation when buying our second hand boat, and as this is our first boat we have no prior boating experience, I am thrown into a snakepit of riddles.
So here I am reading manuals, trying to use the little common sense I have, talking to other boat owners who all have different opinions, but most of all I've received some good advice from the people here on the Lagoon forum.
Thanks a lot for that guys, when I get the chance to actually meet some of you along our way, beers will be bought ! Have a nice day!

Tags
shower