Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2016, 06:09   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450F
Service batteries and mastervolt

Five of my 6 service batteries are u/s after only 18 months from taking delivery of my 450. Despite this, the Mastervolt monitoring system shows 0 battery abuse and 0 hours total discharge. It also still says the CEF is 93% and is showing no warnings/alerts despite having only one serviceable battery, which seems crazy. Has anyone else had similar problems?
Smhchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 12:32   #2

Re: Service batteries and mastervolt

What batteries do you have fitted.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 13:16   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450F

I have 6 X Exide Gel 120AH
Smhchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 01:02   #4
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smhchie View Post
Five of my 6 service batteries are u/s after only 18 months from taking delivery of my 450. Despite this, the Mastervolt monitoring system shows 0 battery abuse and 0 hours total discharge. It also still says the CEF is 93% and is showing no warnings/alerts despite having only one serviceable battery, which seems crazy. Has anyone else had similar problems?

It may be your Mastervolt unit as l have replaced mine after about the same time

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 14-04-2016, 01:55   #5

My L450 was a Jan 2013 boat and Master volt was Faulty April 2014 swapped out then and all OK since.

Old 14-04-2016, 02:01   #6

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

How do you know the batts are US?
If they are (take them out and have a real discharge test done on them) then the charging system needs to be checked. The best way to kill a battery is to abuse it - overcharge or overuse being the most common. It is essential that all the regulators are correctly set for your specific batteries charging requirements, the alt regulator, shorepower and solar regulators etc. Get the manufactures spec sheet for the batts, and check the charging voltages with a quality multimeter, at each charging mode (Bulk, Absorbtion, float on each regulator, if present) Do NOT take a local service guys word for it that this is done, read the spec sheet yourself and either do the voltage tests yourself or be there and watch while it is done.
The battery computer is not infallible, but any corrosion or poor connections in its setup, especially at its shunt, and the voltage sense cables can lead to incorrect readouts. Same with programming the meter/computer.
Remember that the battery computer has programming parameters, including the capacity of the batts and often perkets law parameters for your specific batts. Garbage in, garbage out...
Don't buy anything new until you are absolutely certain you have sorted out any issues, or you will likely have the same problem again!
If this is all too technical, then find a marine service guy you can trust, perhaps by quizzing him using some of this info?
Good luck
Matt
Old 26-04-2016, 02:46   #7

Interesting thread - I have a 2013 Lagoon 450 and am now worried about the longevity of the Mastervolt system - for those who have had a 'failed' unit how did you diagnose problems with the Mastervolt unit? I won't be back on the boat till August (I'm in Sydney and it is in Spain) Now I have a new system problem to worry about for when I return - don't you love boat ownership!
gstent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 03:36   #8

"for those who have had a 'failed' unit how did you diagnose problems"

On mine the screen just had garbage all over it that was unintelligible.

Old 26-04-2016, 04:58   #9
TOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
"for those who have had a 'failed' unit how did you diagnose problems"

On mine the screen just had garbage all over it that was unintelligible.

Paul l first had strange battery readings and raised a concern with the agent, they sorted out the issue, 3 months later it was totally dead, replaced under warranty due to me raising the issue previously.

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 26-04-2016, 05:30   #10

Thanks again for the heads up
gstent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 06:54   #11

We have 2011 L450 with original gel batteries which still seem to he holding charge well enough. I was getting strange readings from the Electronics panel (Beneteau/VDO type - that shows volts fuel water levels) the low voltage alarm was always going off and shows consistently low volts. I also have a Mastervolt battery monitor which I re- wired to the correct shunt per the installation guide. The VDO guage will show 11.8 volts the Mastervolt monitor shows 12.4 Volts. I bought a Load tester at Harbor Freight, I tested the batteries individually and they are all fine. On a previous boat we had Sonnenschein Gel Batteries (Solar Block) these lasted 14 years. Both boats have solar systems which keep a continuous charge going into the batteries in daylight and I think this helps a lot with battery life. Just my guess as I am no electrician.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 08:25   #12
TOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
We have 2011 L450 with original gel batteries which still seem to he holding charge well enough. I was getting strange readings from the Electronics panel (Beneteau/VDO type - that shows volts fuel water levels) the low voltage alarm was always going off and shows consistently low volts. I also have a Mastervolt battery monitor which I re- wired to the correct shunt per the installation guide. The VDO guage will show 11.8 volts the Mastervolt monitor shows 12.4 Volts. I bought a Load tester at Harbor Freight, I tested the batteries individually and they are all fine. On a previous boat we had Sonnenschein Gel Batteries (Solar Block) these lasted 14 years. Both boats have solar systems which keep a continuous charge going into the batteries in daylight and I think this helps a lot with battery life. Just my guess as I am no electrician.

I had the same issue recently and thought l may have a dead battery but they all tested fine, it turned out the terminal (under your bed) just needed cleaning, problem solved...

SV TOT 😃
Wayne
Old 28-04-2016, 22:11   #13

Boat: FP Elba 45

Quote:
I have just ordered 4 new house batteries,I could not find the original Exide EG 120 amp Gels here in Australia, however was able to source 4 new Sonnenschein Gel Batteries 100 AH, exactly the same physical size and polarity I mention this as I see you had the same brand lasting 14 years which is outstanding. I thought my factory fitted gel's did a good job lasting around 6 years hence my keenness to stay with gels. With respect to the charging kit I have the factory fitted Cristec chargers which have worked very well so far. I hope my new 4 batteries with a total of 400 amps will be sufficient, I have dropped 80 amps in total the only other choice was AGM with a bigger amp available but I could not find the same size configuration to fit my batterie box and cables plus the charging system is set up for gels. I do have three 170 amp solar panels plus a 7 KVA gen set which gives me some extra charging grunt should I need it. Interested in any one's opinion on a total 400 amp house batteries, sufficient or is it a bit light on. Must say my logic was the standard on the L400 is 2 house batteries giving a total of 220 amps so 400 should be fine I hope. I have felt the factory supplied volt meter is lacking much information, so I have ordered a 'BEP DC Systems Monitor (DCSM)' on my tech's recommendation, any one had experience with this meter. Hope I haven't changed the subject.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 05:28   #14

Quote:
It seems that the electrical panel commonly reads voltage a bit lower than a battery monitor. I assumed it is due to voltage drop between house battery bank and the panel. The monitor, on the other hand reads at the shunt, which is much closer and has larger cabling.

My L400 came with Mastervolt gels (4 × 140AH ). Strange how some Lagoons come with Exide and some with Mastervolt gel batteries . One of these suffered an internal short that caused it to become dangerously overheated after only 4 years. I am glad to be rid of them and have installed 400 AH of LiFePO4 for a great increase in capacity as well as reduced weight.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 05:52   #15

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Tuskie,

can you give us some info and photos of your Lithium system,

Thanks
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, service