Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2013, 12:21   #1

Searching for a Dream..

Hello everyone, I am a man with a dream. 30 plus years ago I wrote a paper in 7th grade about sailing around the world. Then life happens, got married, that fell apart, then had to care for sick mother.. I got into a traffic acc. taking her to the doctor & then she was gone. Just that quick. Now all alone & am selling two houses & everything in them to do something I dreamed about for a long time.She gave up alot to help me & I helped her as much as I could when she really needed it.. I have a great deal of time in boats,just not sailboats. I am looking to trade for a lagoon 38 to sail for a while & learn as much as I can & then maybe travel. I hate to say around the world but maybe later after I maybe do a loop up the east coast & of the U.S.. People say sell houses & then buy boat, working on just that, but one can`t help but wonder if there is someone that is coming back to land ( lack of a better term) because of health or just done sailing & looking for an investment & the rental house would make a good one. House makes money while boat cost money. Is there anyone that may be interested in FL real estate?? A trade would save me time. I am 53 & want to do this before its to late & I am ready for a change.. Any advice on how to make it happen or someone that has an interest?? Or steady as she goes,, sell,,then search & buy. I know trades are tuff but there has to be someone that wants out of that boat & wants to reinvest, there just has to be a way to find them & for them to find me. Thank you!!
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 06:41   #2

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Re: Searching for a dream..

waiting for that special deal trade Lagoon 380 for houses is unlikely to work out.
Just do the maths, how many L380 are out there, how many are for sale, how many of those are from the US and how many of those sailors are going back to land?
Think about how likely it is that of those maybe five or ten people there is one who wants to buy somewhere where you happen to have your property. And then consider how likely it is that you a) find that single person and b) he likes your house better than all the others on the market.

Statistically I'd say: Don't hold your breath.

Going out to sail is a good plan. Waiting for a trade is not. Just sell and buy a boat, money was invented to facilitate easy exchange of goods.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 07:05   #3

You are spot on there with the math thing, but can`t hurt to ask I guess. The odds are not great that a trade will work, but for the right person it could & if I don`t try, it for sure won`t. I have houses listed & will get there in the end. I know out there somewhere is someone that would like to do it. Odds are knowing my luck I will find them right after I have sold the houses. When I had the money a while back I could not find anything I liked. When the money was put into the house & I could not spend it,only then did I start to see a couple really good deals,,figures.. Story of my life day late & a dollar short!
Old 27-02-2013, 13:21   #4

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
When the money was put into the house & I could not spend it,only then did I start to see a couple really good deals,,figures.. Story of my life day late & a dollar short!
I guess thats Murphy's law mixed with normal paranoia. most people have that except a few ignorant
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 13:37   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Searching for a Dream..

Kita, Despite the probability, it's worth the search. Back in 1985 I found myself with two growing children and their mother on our 33' 1973 Morgan. I wished that I could find the same boat, but the larger 41' so my children could have their own cabins until they left for college. I found a man less than 200 miles away who wanted a smaller copy of his 41' 1973 Morgan. I paid him the value differnce and we traded boats. The odds were not in my favor, but I've been on my 41' for the last 28 years. It could happen!
Old 28-02-2013, 18:58   #6

Re: Searching for a Dream..

I will keep swinging at it, someone will buy the houses cause it really is a good deal & then we will see what I can find. It will be a big change,moving onto a boat. When I look around & see all the stuff that has landed here over the years & ask myslef how much of it do I really need, truth is,not much. I am planing on taking my Akita. That should be interesting.. Big fuzzy guy!! Not like he leaves a rabbit size pile that you can pick up with a paper towel, more like a small cow paddy!

Tags
arc