Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2020, 04:48   #1

Boat: Lagoon 39
replacement - fridge/freezer in 2014 Lagoon 39

Has anyone done a upgrade to the frig and or freezer in a Lagoon 39? The freezer has been serviced but is still not reaching freezing temps.

I also wonder if there is a better quality frig that is available that fits without major modifications?
Scott Tudury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 19:10   #2

Re: replacement - fridge/freezer in 2014 Lagoon 39

Hi,

I have done all my research for my Hull #166 L39. The Isotherm Cruise 130's should fit for a replacement. Mine is wired for DC only. These are also what the L40's come with.

I have not done any research for the freezer. So I cannot help too much. I would start with the lid seal and if that's good, then the compressor may need some work.

Nick
Oreellyfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:29   #3

Nick, Thank you so much for the response. I read in the lagoon manual that they call that box the ice box....no mention of freezer...lol
Scott Tudury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:35   #4

I put an Isotherm in my Columbia 36 and had limited success I later replaced it with a Technautics Cool Blue and was extremely happy. It kept Ice Cream frozen and used very little power. Im now boat-less but will for sure put another Technautics Cool Blue in my next boat
Johndadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndadiver View Post
I put an Isotherm in my Columbia 36 and had limited success I later replaced it with a Technautics Cool Blue and was extremely happy. It kept Ice Cream frozen and used very little power. Im now boat-less but will for sure put another Technautics Cool Blue in my next boat
Those are sold by Rich in La Paz. He handled my boat when I shipped it up from Mexico. He also sells the cruise RO water makers. Anything that comes from him is good, he's good people and makes/sells great simple products.

If mine ever breaks I'd have no problem going to him for a freezer compressor.
svkiaorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:43   #6

I got mine before Rich. An Engineer from Coasta Mesa. Im sure Rich is much the same Super cool guy walked me through the process of increasing the insulation in the box. Thats key to the whole she-bang working is having MORE THAN ADEQUet insulation. Air tight too! Small air leak will cause condensation and then you have a blob of Ice where you dont need it. This the forces you to empty the box and defrost the unit. Keeps thing tidy and I suppose your FIFO (first in First out) up to date
Johndadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 22:25   #7

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Seawind installs an Isotherm Cruise 130 upright refrigerator with the small compartment freezer above the counter, and a separate large freezer in counter. The Isotherm has been their standard fridge for years. More-recently, the Cruise 130 in the US was replaced by a similar Elegance line, which supposedly has improvement in the small freezer compartment door, better seals, and maybe a bit thicker door insulation. The big complaint from owners regarding the Cruise 130- and from me regarding the Elegance that I have in my 2019 Seawind - is that the freezer compartment builds up frost very quickly. In humid temps, each time you open the door, it introduces more moisture that adds to the frost, and eventually a thick layer of ice. That is not such a huge issue, but unfortunately Isotherm has the thermostat for the unit located in the top of the unit, and frost and ice tends to build up around it relatively quickly. (Most of us have to defrost every two weeks.) The buildup encases the thermostat in ice, which it views as low temp in the refrigerated compartment as well, and therefore doesn't kick on the compressor. After defrosting, you can get a 38 deg F temp on a 1-2 setting. A few days later, the temp starts to increase, so you turn the setting to 3-4 to get it to kick on sooner. By two weeks, the setting is on 7, and refrig temps are in high 40's to low 50's deg F. Food spoilage. Take everything out, defrost, start cycle all over.

Seawind has now introduced an option for the Cruise 130 fridge, but without the small freezer section in the top. That should hopefully alleviate the problem. My 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite also has a larger freezer section so the small compartment is not really needed (although it was super convenient to make ice/trays.)

Finally, the fridge running draws 7-7.5 amps. Also make sure you have good air space and circulation behind, or it will limit cooling capacity. When both the fridge and freezer are running at night, it has a total draw of about 15 amps. (Thankfully they only tend to run about 50% of the time.) We have 800 watts of solar and a 450 amp-hr house bank, which is sufficient for overnight draw. I think our next step will be to see if we can remove the freezer compartment to get rid of the ice buildup issue.

Just our first-hand experience. We dealt with this for about three months in the Bahamas last year. Thought we had a bad thermostat until we figured out the ice buildup around the thermostat.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer, lagoon, men