Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2015, 03:12   #1

Boat: currently boatless
Removing toilet

Hello all,
as part of our on going upgrades to Sunshine we have removed one of the toilets in the starboard forward berth (boat was 4 head version) to be replaced with a washing machine. I figure if we cant get by with three heads I have a serious stomach issue .
I thought removing the toilet would be a relatively simple job, silly me. When I went to remove the bolts holding the base the only thing that occurred was the bolt heads just revolved around and around and showed no signs of being extracted. It appears that the look was put in place as part of the internal lining and you are not able to get to the securing bolts. What a totally stupid design . I had two choices. cut a hole to the side front moulding and hope I could access the nuts through the newly cut access hole, then replace the hole with a waterproof inspection plate OR just get my old trusty angle grinder out and cut the bolts off at the moulded level. The angle grinder won out and a vey short time later the bolts were gone and could be pushed through the moulded base. The washing machine will now fit nicely in the space.
Has anyone else had this issue and if so how did they manage it. I have no doubt sometime in the future I will have to replace one of the heads and it would be nice to do if there is a simpler method.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 05:21   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Removing toilet

I've not had that problem, but I would have gone for the inspection port method. The thought of bolts rolling around between the hull and loner grates at my brain.....I hate dumping trash into voids.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 15:16   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

I replaced the toilet on my 410 and it couldn't have been easier. If you lift up and out of the way, the floor over the bilge, you can reach under and put a back up wrench on the through bolts holding the toilet. I could even get down far enough to see the nuts and washers.
Take a look, I'm sure yours is built the same way. If not, let us know.
Sid
Old 13-05-2015, 15:27   #4

Hi Sid,
many thanks for that. I will be on the boat today and will have a look.

Greg H
Old 13-05-2015, 22:41   #5

Hi Sid,
after your post I went out on the boat today and removed the companionway floor. Sure enough I was able to access the base of the toilet. Not only was I able to remove the old bolts I had ground off but also replace the loose coach bolts supporting the second toilet. I drilled out the coach bolt holes and replaced them with bolts which are far superior. Many thanks for your input. I learn a little bit more about my boat today. Always a good thing

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
Old 14-05-2015, 10:15   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

Hey, you made my day! Glad I could help out. We've been living aboard our 410 for almost three years now, so between that and selling them, we know her pretty well.

Tags
oil