Finally got the microwave removed, but it took brute force. Getting the facia off the front of the opening was easy, but the microwave itself was not.
This is on a 2016 L450F, so other years may be different.
The microwave is an LG MHR-6883B. It has 4 pegs on the bottom which fit into holes in the wood that it sits on. These wood base supports appear to be glued and screwed in place. There is no access to the base support from under the cabinet. There is another support on top of the microwave that stops if from lifting. This is connected to another wood structure that is screwed into the top of the cabinet.
Since we could not lift
the microwave to clear the bottom pegs, we tried to address the top structure. There are 3 screws across the front that can be removed with a small ratchet wrench that has a bit holder for a Phillips head
screw (all the other screws in the structure were Torx). Once we removed the 3 screws we hoped we could just push the top structure back and then lift
the microwave. But that didn't work
. We were not sure why it would not move as we could not see anything that might be holding it. Note that there is only about 5 cm of clearance at the top.
We decided that it must just be friction holding it, so we applied brute force to the vertical support and it finally started to budge, but not as well as I thought it would. It finally pushed to the back of the cabinet after repeated blows, and we got the microwave out.
However we found there were two more screws about halfway back that were holding the top structure in place and they scraped the top of the inside of the cabinet as we were pounding it back. There was no way we could have reached those screws even if we had seen them.
I don't know if there is a secret trick to getting this out that we missed. But if not then I don't know what Lagoon
was thinking when the put this together. It would certainly hold the microwave steady in any conditions, but did not seem to consider removal
for repair in the design.
And we found that Lagoon
had not removed the plastic shipping
cover from the microwave. They had just made some openings in the plastic by some of the vents (a bit more than half)
Now we need to figure out how to put it back together.