Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 11:31   #1

Boat: Lagoon 39
Removing Ikea cabinetry to access electronics and electric winch control box

Has anyone else removed the cabinetry on the starboard side to access the wiring for the navigation instruments and Harken 40 ST electric winch duel control box?

My control box on the electric winch soldered electric connections together causing the winch to stay on unless the circuit breaker is thrown. Now need to replace the duel control box with a new unit and having difficulty removing the cabinets to gain access to the box and winch motor.

Anyone having done this would love to hear from you?
faa50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 16:12   #2

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: Removing Ikea cabinetry to access electronics and electric winch control box

I assume it is for your Lagoon 39 since that is what you list on your personal info. You might have better luck if you ask specifically for help from Lagoon or Lagoon 39 owners. So many ways to put in cabinetry to baffle, confuse, and irritate owners and technicians alike. Good luck.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:54   #3

Re: Removing Ikea cabinetry to access electronics and electric winch control box

Guess you missed the fact the post is on the Lagoon forum with the prefix 39?
Old 03-06-2016, 13:02   #4

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by faa50 View Post
Guess you missed the fact the post is on the Lagoon forum with the prefix 39?
You are absolutely correct. That is why I suggest you put it out there with it in the title so that other Lagoon owners and anyone else that has ever worked on a Lagoon 39 (or whatever) might see it. Not everyone checks the specific forums IME. Good luck.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 13:24   #5

On my L450 and L421 you access these areas through the inside of the cabinetry, there are screwed in removable panels in the top and sides of cupboards to gain access above and behind. Do not know if the L39 is the same.

I had same issue with one of the winch control contactors a couple of years ago, pulled apart and from memory the contact plate was reversible after cleaning up and still working 2 years on. Have a new spare in the spares locker just in case ever have issues in future.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:51   #6

Boat: Lagoon, 39

I do not have an electric winch on my Lagoon 39 but I have removed a small panel (4" x 9" approx) in the top of the upper cabinet when I worked on the power to my chart plotter. If the area you are trying to get to is near the chart plotter at the helm, I would simply remove the chart plotter.

Good luck,

Tony
Mardi Gras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 14:55   #7

Thanks for the responses. Yes, my cabinetry has the 4"x9" cut-out in the top of the outboard cabinet. We were able to separate the power lines and the electrician could get his hand around to the control box to unplug three cables. This is how we were able to isolate the problem to the duel control box and rule out the high power (high gear) foot switch at the helm.

Unfortunately, to remove the box and install a similar unit (which Harken tech told me today they have redesigned and improved so as not to have this issue of electric cables welding themselves together) there simple is not sufficient room.
Old 06-06-2016, 15:05   #8

Tony - the area we are working is fairly close to the e120 chartplotter - about 20-24 inches inboard. I had thought of that in the event removing cabinets is labor intensive or damages the cabinets.

Long term concern is getting to these critical areas when electrical navigational equipment fails as it surely will do. If plug and play then it will not cause an issue. Time will tell.

I've learned that my Harken 40 Radial 2 speed ST winch is not an isolated case and that the firm is aware of the problem. Considering this winch is industrial strength, real harm can be done. Maybe that is why they caution their units are NOT TO BE USED TO HOIST AN INDIVIDUAL TO THE TOP OF THE MAST!!!!! Yet, rigging firms do this all day long as well as cruisers. Seems there is a huge liability issue here and Harken is not alerting the public. Either equipment is being destroyed or an individual can easily die from being dropped from the top of the mast.

There is no way I'll every allow anyone to use the electric winch to inspect the rig. My surveyor did exactly that while inspecting the boat for purchase. The rigging firm I hired to repair the furler, sent a tech up the mast using the electric winch. Either time they could have been killed.

Shame on you Harken!!!!
Old 06-06-2016, 15:09   #9

"4. Winches and handles, cylinders, valves, pumps, reservoirs, control panels are warranted for three (3) years. Electric/hydraulic winch motors, captive reel winches, hydraulic power units, switches, control boxes, and breakers are warranted for two (2) years."

From Harken website so if two or less years old should be a warranty job.

Old 06-06-2016, 16:09   #10

Thanks PaulOz for the tip...

I hadn't checked on unit's warranty as the boat was built in 2013 and delivered early 2014. But it is a possibility and now that I know I will check.

I find it interesting and disappointing that that Tech Support didn't provide that important information. I prefer to deal with Vendors who are forth coming and offer advice even if no financial gain on this experience with the client. What ever happened to "earning one's business?" Maybe I'm old fashion but I like to be romanced a little before being scr....
Old 06-06-2016, 16:41   #11

"Maybe I'm old fashion but I like to be romanced a little before being scr...."

Do not know about the rest of the world but down under in the last few years I have been screwed more often than romanced. There are exceptions and when you find them, hang on to them as they are worth working with.

Old 06-06-2016, 16:46   #12

Boat: Lagoon, 39

If it is difficult to replace the switch, you might consider a manual winch in place of the electric one. I can pull the main up to about 3 feet short of the top without the winch and then winch her the rest of the way in high gear with last foot or so in low gear. Regarding hoisting people with winches, I think it's very common to use the electric ones for this.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Mardi Gras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 16:24   #13

Mardi Gras - thanks for the comments. Yes from my short experience it seems very common for folks to use the electric winch to hoist individuals. If folks were made aware of the risk they are taking (i.e. going up a mast is risky in itself, but using an electric winch with the track record of Harken's now that is a much more daring scenario.

My electric winch also works in manual, which is good in case I have a problem as like now. Consensus view is to gain access to the winch motor and control box is by taking out helm electronics i.e. e120 chartplotter. This should provide us an avenue to view the equipment as well as remove and replace the unit.

I'm not sure that I'm a fan of how Lagoon has designed limited access to these vital equipment components? Professional electricians who are French also are amazed that the builder fails to provide access. Jury is still out. Taking out the cabinets is way too difficult, will most likely damage the cabinets in the process and would never get put back in the same way. Resulting in permanent damage to the boat simple to due what should be normal maintenance or repair.

If more Lagoon owners complained just maybe Lagoon would be more consumer focused get off their "arse" and do something, but I'm not holding my breath. In many regards they build a good product, it is a shame they fail in areas that should be easy to fix and provide a real benefit to consumers and thereby increase Lagoon's sales. Hey, but that is the logical way to look at things.....
Old 07-06-2016, 16:32   #14

On my 450 there is access to all the electric winches sum via panel in roof of cabinet, one via removal of cockpit speaker and one has a screw in inspection port located near on the external of boat. Have a look around it may not be obvious but there will be a way to access and remove the winch if required. The L39 being a relatively new boat with not a lot on the water yet means only limited knowledge so far.

Old 07-06-2016, 17:06   #15

The top panel or roof of the cabinet is the panel we need to remove to provide adequate access. One of these top panels has a 4"x9" access panel which we removed. However, this is not sufficient opening to get to control box.

There is a access panel at the outboard end of the cabinet, but upon inspection we don't find any screws that by removing would gain access. There is a divider panel between cabinet sections with each section having its own door. This panel has wooden fingers that extend down into the bottom panel in addition there is silicone glue afixing the divider panel.

My Lagoon dealer/broker requested access information from Lagoon and all we have received to date is a picture of the access panel on the top panel the 4"x9" opening.

For many areas ,Lagoon provides good or adequate access to equipment so I've been confident the same applies here, but having received little support from the builder I'm beginning to wonder?

Tags
cabin, control box, electric, electronics, winch