Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2012, 08:04   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Re: Questions about sailing Lagoon 440 upwind

Low Country, our catamaran boat show is this weekend where we should have about a dozen cats to board and inspect. We'll be doing demos as well and the 440 is one of the demo boats. You're more than welcome to come check it out if you like. The new Annapolis Spring boat show is happening the same weekend so you can take advantage of that as well while your here. PM me for more details if you like.....Smooth Seas.....Sid
Sid at SailAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:12   #17

Boat: Lagoon 440

On our 440 the best AWA to weather in small seas is 42 degrees without loss of VMG. With seas over 2meters AWA must be increased to about 50.

Remember, people who beat up the lack of a cats windward performance often overlook the only thing that matters, VMG. After all, what do you care if your AWA is 50 and your mono friends is 40 if you VMG is better, which it often is.
jmpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 13:47   #18

I took a peek at the polar plots then did a little vector algebra on the data that I eyeballed off the chart. You might find my results interesting:

With a true wind 50 degrees off the bow, the apparent wind angle varied from 35 deg with a true wind speed of 8 kts up to 39 degrees at 25 kts. The velocity made good (VMG) into the wind went from 2.2 at 8kts of wind to 5.0 kts at 25 kts wind.

What I found very interesting was at 60 degrees the VMG was HIGHER at every true wind speed from 8 to 25 kts. The VMG went from 2.3 to 5.2. The apparent wind angle varied from 43 degree up to 47 as the wind picked up.

I am inclined to think that the L440 would move to windward significantly faster than most 44 ft mono hull cruisers even if it cannot point as high. I don't have any data to work with, though.

Doug Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
WHAT?

Someone somewhere published something, have a peek:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/att...boats-p440.gif

Cheers,
b.
dougdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, Lagoon 440, sailing