Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2018, 08:18   #1
P&T

Boat: Lagoon 450
Propane solenoid head scratcher

Good day all!!

Love our 450F(#418) after two years of ownership we finally have it set up perfectly for us(thanks mostly to all of the lurking we have done here).

After hours of research my growling stomach has overtaken my pride. We are not getting any power to the switch that powers the propane solenoid. Pretty simple problem, no clue on root cause.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Best
Pat
P&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 08:25   #2

Re: Propane solenoid head scratcher

There is a battery under the sink in our 400. Just wanted call that out just in case.
rtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 08:27   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I'm not quite sure what your problem is. Some boats are equipped with a simple off-on switch for the propane solenoid, while others have a more sophisticated propane sniffer/alarm system which will only power the solenoid valve if it does not detect any leaking propane.

The first type is pretty straightforward to troubleshoot, the second is not. If you have a sniffer/alarm system, you first need to RTFM. The last one I installed had a wait period of at least 60 seconds before you could ask it to put power to the solenoid.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 08:33   #4
P&T

@ donradcliffe Thanks for the response. No sniffer, just a simple on/off. That has apparently fixed itself via PFM???

@ rtoner Thanks mate! I'm on the hunt for the same on Tapati. After I eat breakfast
Old 22-05-2018, 08:37   #5

Is this a factory fitted install or aftermarket? The solenoid - does it have a brand and model number on it? I fitted an aftermarket Fireboy Xintex with sniffer. I don't know about factory fitted system.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 08:44   #6
P&T

Good day Bean Counter.

It is the factory installed solenoid. No sniffer or modifications.

Solenoid is working fine, the concern appears to be power related.

There is a simple on/off switch that controls the flow of power to the solenoid. The switch also functions fine.

My guess is that there is either a short somewhere switch/pre-switch or there is a failing battery that requires replacing(as rtoner's post suggests).

Best
Pat
Old 22-05-2018, 09:13   #7

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

Hi, do you have a multimeter? And did you find the fuse for the circuit?
_andi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 09:20   #8

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&T View Post
@ donradcliffe Thanks for the response. No sniffer, just a simple on/off. That has apparently fixed itself via PFM???

@ rtoner Thanks mate! I'm on the hunt for the same on Tapati. After I eat breakfast

PFM? Pure freakin' magic?

Sounds like you either have a loose/bad connection somewhere, or the power to the control panel goes through a switch or breaker that is not intuitive. I recently wired a whole new propane system on my Morgan 462, and ran new wire from a spare breaker on the DC panel to the Trident control panel, and new wire from there to the solenoid in the propane locker back after. Also wired in a fume detector. Now I have to take three proactive steps to have any kind of gas in my boat - turn on the cylinder valve, turn on the panel breaker, and finally energize the solenoid on the Trident panel.

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 09:38   #9

The connectors to the solenoid could be corroded, maybe just need a clean (remove the propane tanks first). Same with fuse blades in the switch panel. Other than that - sounds like some line testing with an Ohm meter.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 09:40   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I'm glad someone told me what PFM was. Everything today has an anachronism I thought that was a high tech one.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 09:57   #11

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I'm glad someone told me what PFM was. Everything today has an anachronism I thought that was a high tech one.
It's the ultimate high tech solution, when nothing else works. As Arthur C Clarke once said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 14:17   #12

Many years ago, I asked the parts guy at the counter about the update kit he was selling me (critical or large gas devices have redundant valves and vent valves inbetween).
He told me a joke. A parchutist thought his failed chute was going to kill him.
as he fell lower, he saw somebody rising UP! He asked "Do you know anything about parachutes?"
"No." Was the reply. "Do you know anything about gas valves?"
Yes, I was qualified and licensed for such service. Be very careful, especially propane.
Redpcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 15:01   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

If I read your two posts right. You don't have a sniffer and you had no voltage to the switch. Sounds like a wiring problem with nothing to do with LPG. Trace the wire back.
If you need to use the stove, disconnect to wire and jump 12V to the switch. If it got fixed by magic it will be back, by magic. Probably corrosion someplace at a bus/ terminal block.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, propane