Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2016, 12:23   #31

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: Order New Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
I wonder if its possible to have a thread about a new Lagoon without the "Lagoon Bashers" showing up? All boats have things that I would alter to my tastes, I still intend to purchase one. Like ANY vessel I would purchase I intend to have it surveyed before acceptance. All high volume production vessels can and will have issues. I will do my best to avoid running it aground or hitting rocks.

This thread is NOT about that. I guess discussions about Lagoons are like any topic that mentions;

Cat vs Mono
Best Anchor
Best anti-fouling paint
etc..

The biggest edge Lagoon has is experience of building 2000 cats. There is lots of intelligence built into boats. Lagoon bashers come handy as you can be sure that you heard about ALL mishaps of lagoon boats.

I am quite happy with the score, and pretty sure I know all of them, thanks to lagoon bashers.

So, maybe give them some credit.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 12:34   #32

Boat: L42

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
The biggest edge Lagoon has is experience of building 2000 cats. There is lots of intelligence built into boats. Lagoon bashers come handy as you can be sure that you heard about ALL mishaps of lagoon boats.

I am quite happy with the score, and pretty sure I know all of them, thanks to lagoon bashers.

So, maybe give them some credit.
Very True, I hadn't thought about it from that angle. Thanks

Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 13:07   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Order New Lagoon 42

I've delivered 4 Lagoons over the last 3 years.. 380's and a 440.. the 380's were distances of 1300 to 2300 miles and the 440 was a West to East crossing from Ft Lauderdale to E Spain in Feb..
The only one that I had a problem with was the 440 which dumped all its power for reasons unknown so we survived on just solar to power for the WP and shut down everything else.. on arrival in the Azores after topping up on shore power we got a tech in but he could find no reason for it.. all was sound..
One of those mysteries of the sea..
Like any boat treated poorly they suffer but otherwise as far as I'm concerned they're just fine.
One 380 (Montes old boat) I had 19days to get it from Bari, Italy to Las Palmas, Canaries in time to register for the ARC.. we got there with 4 days to spare and the only flaw after some hard sailing was a fraying spinnaker halyard where it rubbed at the top of the mast.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 13:30   #34

Thanks Boatman, it's nice to get an objective evaluation.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 13:33   #35

"The biggest edge Lagoon has is experience of building 2000 cats."

Production numbers for the L380, L440 and L450 are up around 2000 on there own.

So when you have built nearly 1 in 2 of all production cats launched in the past 20 years, whenever there is a problem with a production catamaran you have a 50% chance it will be a Lagoon. Be it a production quality, design or seamanship issue.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 13:41   #36

Boat: Lagoon 450F

I am very close to ordering a new 42 however I'm struggling with a couple of items:

(1) being the designated dishwasher I'm baffled by the single sink without even a recessed area for draining let alone a rinse area. Is this a concern of anyone else or am I being paranoid?

(2) The option list I'm working from does not have the option to add additional storage in place of the settee on the owner sides like I've seen on other Lagoon option lists.

(3) Losing one water tank (leaving just 79 gallons of water) if you chose to install a generator option is another concern. I didn't get a close enough look to see if there was someplace else for a bladder tank.

(4) And finally there is not an abundance of storage lockers in the cockpit and only very little space above the engines.

Any opinions on the above from people that have ordered or are close to ordering?

All that said I love the boat and by the numbers lined up at the factory it looks like lots of others do too.

Thanks
Dennis
dcareri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 13:57   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

Interesting that a simple first hand observation about construction quality that I witnessed is deemed " Lagoon Bashing ".
If I was going out to buy a new boat for over $500K and someone told me they had seen a production issue relative to the structural integrity of the hull on a similar hull by the same manufacturer I would take pause and think where there is smoke there might be fire.
I personally do not care one way or another about Lagoon as a manufacturer, other than to say I have toured dozens of boat factories over the years as part of my job, so I do understand the lay-up process and have never seen a hull as poorly built as that crashed Lagoon in BVI.
If I was spending big money on a new boat I would want all the information, both good and bad about the brand I was interested in, so I could make an informed decision about my purchase. The purpose of these type of forums is the exchange of information, just because you don't want to hear what some people have to say doesn't make it any less relevant.
People who are touchy, or take themselves too seriously, maybe shouldn't be reading these forums.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 22:27   #38

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
Interesting that a simple first hand observation about construction quality that I witnessed is deemed " Lagoon Bashing ".
If I was going out to buy a new boat for over $500K and someone told me they had seen a production issue relative to the structural integrity of the hull on a similar hull by the same manufacturer I would take pause and think where there is smoke there might be fire.
I personally do not care one way or another about Lagoon as a manufacturer, other than to say I have toured dozens of boat factories over the years as part of my job, so I do understand the lay-up process and have never seen a hull as poorly built as that crashed Lagoon in BVI.
If I was spending big money on a new boat I would want all the information, both good and bad about the brand I was interested in, so I could make an informed decision about my purchase. The purpose of these type of forums is the exchange of information, just because you don't want to hear what some people have to say doesn't make it any less relevant.
People who are touchy, or take themselves too seriously, maybe shouldn't be reading these forums.
i completely believe your assessment. however, you conclude from 1 boat design, that all boats are designed same quality as this one.

this is where power of numbers come in. I have heard lots of nasties about lagoons however, not any particular in large numbers.

In my research I did investigate many other boats and to my surprise, money spent is not correlated to how many and how severe defects are.

So, in average lagoon is ok. If you not lucky, well then can get real bad. But same for other boats, I found.

Probably first time boat buyers not aware of that....
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 17:53   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
Sometimes people want reassurance only and not have to think about things. Those times its more important to say hey, this is bad! then to let them think everything is perfect.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 17:57   #40

If you are going to buy a lagoon, then CYA with a rock solid contract, and a good, independent survey. I do new boat surveys all the time, and find issues with mass production boats, all the time. There are some I don't find issues on, such as discovery's, and more custom boats.
Old 23-03-2016, 12:42   #41

What kind of issues do you find in new boats and how do you find them? Do you find hull defects? What would be the time span before these issues become painfully obvious?
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 13:35   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaangus View Post
What kind of issues do you find in new boats and how do you find them? Do you find hull defects? What would be the time span before these issues become painfully obvious?
Incorrectly assembled boats, seacocks not flanged, flanged seacocks with no bolts, incorrect exhaust design, poor wiring, improperly crimpped fitting, the list goes on forever. The biggest one I have found on 90% of "hot and fast" production boats is too few bilge pumps.
Old 23-03-2016, 14:59   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnow2011 View Post
Incorrectly assembled boats, seacocks not flanged, flanged seacocks with no bolts, incorrect exhaust design, poor wiring, improperly crimpped fitting, the list goes on forever. The biggest one I have found on 90% of "hot and fast" production boats is too few bilge pumps.
There will be a number of defects on most production boats depending on brand, day of the week, mood of production workers, attitude of QC staff, etc. etc.
Therefore a careful check at delivery would be a good idea, especially by an expert if the buyer is inexperienced in these sorts of things.

Don't get confused between "defects" such as improperly crimped electrical connections, leaking plumbing, etc. and desirable upgrades to otherwise functionable production boat systems.

The "too few bilge pumps" is an example of the latter. You may recommend to a new buyer to increase the number and placement of bilge pumps for very sound reasons, but this is an upgrade not a production defect.
Lagoon catamarans usually don't come from the factory with bilge pumps fitted to the engine compartment. The reason is that such fittment does not conform to EC compliance; leaking engine oil or coolant may be automatically pumped into the sea, and hence constitute a pollution hazard. Lagoon's system design (on past models, at least) is to run pipes from engine compartments to main hull bilges where the large bilge pumps can remove the water. These pipes have shutoff valves fitted, to be closed if engine bay water is contaminated. This system works and has passed EC compliance.

It's not a perfect system! Many non- European owners have chosen to fit automatic bilge pumps to engine compartments and I'd guess some Europeans have as well.

Flanged or unflanged through hull fittings, deck hardware mounting methods, battery bank size, etc. etc. the list goes on.

I prefer to think that many production boat fittings, systems and installations are not "defective" just "upgradable".
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 15:12   #44

You may not realize there are water-only bilge pump switches.
They do not trigger in oil, or diesel. There are also oil-water separators.

Poor engineering is a defect.
Old 23-03-2016, 15:20   #45

Re: order New Lagoon 42

Hi there my wife and I just ordered, well in October a Lagoon450F take delivery in US July 1, how is your build going?
JayEnos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon