Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2019, 09:24   #16

Re: No 6-pack, no insurance. Huh, really?

Try AMICA. Great for houses too.
Var Korall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 09:31   #17

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLove View Post
Getting an OUPV (6 pack) is not that easy. In fact, it's very hard - you either study a bunch or pay to have someone teach to the test. You don't just fill out forms. Any of you that think it's easy go take an online practice test.
The most difficult part of getting a Captain's License is accumulating and documenting the required sea days.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 09:47   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
The most difficult part of getting a Captain's License is accumulating and documenting the required sea days.

Which, for a 6 pac, I believe, is 180 days. Absolutely not a question of just filling out forms, as was said. I doubt if that person has one!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 10:23   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Things are changing. Worth getting USCG license but takes work. Try passing the Rules of the Road at 90%. Most licensed captains can't do that without studying. Get Your Captain's License is good with CD. Nav test is also not so easy. US Sailing & RYA better than ASA (although OK) which I taught for ten years.
Find another insurance company.
Had same problem with 20 ton steel boat that required license for insurance from most companies but never heard of that with a Cat. Again, things are getting tighter.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 10:39   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

It is only a 42 boat. What kind of licensing do you need for that. C'mon.

Talk to other companies.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 10:49   #21

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

The USCG 6-pack license currently requires 360 days of logged sea service.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 10:51   #22
Marine Service Provider

If your 360 days of sea-time for a 6-Pax (airline jargon for passengers) is in 14' outboard on a lake it will not do you any good with any insurance company. They want a few months, at least of hardcore at sea experience in a sailing vessel similar to the one you want to buy. No USCG ticket requires any practical test, only documented sea-time. If you are starting from zip the full-on ASA courses followed by a few months crewing, including helming, on similar boats will make your resume look a lot better.

And the outboard story above is no a joke, I know a guy who got OUPV in a powered canoe in a man-made lake behind his house. He'd go out there every day for four hours an go round a round for 360 sea-days. At least that's what he put on his sea-service.

And by the way you can't get financing or enter most marinas or foreign countries without insurance.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 11:01   #23

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLove View Post
Getting an OUPV (6 pack) is not that easy. In fact, it's very hard - you either study a bunch or pay to have someone teach to the test. You don't just fill out forms. Any of you that think it's easy go take an online practice test.
Exactly. Doing the Captains school is the way to go. Taking the test through the Coast Guard requires memorization of hundreds of rules, many obscure, some making no sense at all, and any mixture of these can be on any test. Passing rate is very low. Go to school.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 11:07   #24
CLOD

Boat: none

When I got first boat (39') I had done the ASA courses and had 3 months of experience after that. The insurance company still required I do 30 hours with a captain, which I did by combining with the help I needed to move the boat from where I brought to it's new home. I didn't get any captain training but that was Ok as I still needed the help to move the boat (definitely wasn't ready to single hand).

On plus side as soon as I turned in the signed letter saying I had completed the training I got a discount.
Old 20-09-2019, 11:09   #25

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
If your 360 days of sea-time for a 6-Pax (airline jargon for passengers) is in 14' outboard on a lake it will not do you any good with any insurance company. They want a few months, at least of hardcore at sea experience in a sailing vessel similar to the one you want to buy. No USCG ticket requires any practical test, only documented sea-time. If you are starting from zip the full-on ASA courses followed by a few months crewing, including helming, on similar boats will make your resume look a lot better.

And the outboard story above is no a joke, I know a guy who got OUPV in a powered canoe in a man-made lake behind his house. He'd go out there every day for four hours an go round a round for 360 sea-days. At least that's what he put on his sea-service.

And by the way you can't get financing or enter most marinas or foreign countries without insurance.
Actually when I applied for insurance the company was satisfied with my 50 ton license, no questions about what type of boat I acquired my time on. And some of that time was on a 16 ft. Outboard. It all counts.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 11:26   #26

Boat: Lagoon 400

OUPV & six pack licenses are required only for captains who operate vessels for profit, i.e. carrying paying passangers.
So if the vessel in question is not used for business the insurance company would not ask for this type of licence.
They may ask for any level of ASA or similar qualifications to ensure that the operator knows what he is doing.
Old 20-09-2019, 11:32   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriadel View Post
We are interested in purchasing a 2018 Lagoon 42 and were told that we could get insurance however, if we don't have our 6-pack we would have to hire a captain(who has a OUPV) to move the boat for us (every time, even if we wanted to go out into the harbor) or its not covered.

Is this correct? Is this something new?

Also, who are some of the insurance companies that can help us out and what are you charged?

Proper insurance coverage is a must(for us anyway)
You may have misunderstood them. Perhaps you need a safe boating class and sign off from someone with at least a 6-pack that you can operate the boat.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 12:11   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

I have never had an insurance company tell me they required me to have any kind of classes or licenses shop around they are yanking your chain IMO .

Had markel on the Spencer 42 full coverage never an issue . Just paid my premiums on time they never asked for certifications of any type .
Old 20-09-2019, 12:16   #29

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

My first big boat was a Passport 42. 10 plus tons. I had no ASA or anything of the sort. No problem getting insurance then.
The boat I now have is a 20 ton steel. The previous owner was unable to get insurance which is why I took over ownership since I had a license. We tried many insurance companies. Part of that was the weight and that it was home built although constructed better than most yard builds I've seen. It had a good survey.
Canada requires a license to run any boat.
Again. The world is changing fast in the licensing area.
I bought a used "Get Your Captain's License" for $50. Studied a lot. Took the test which cost another $50. I had a lot of sailing experience. Hardest part was Rules of The Road. Nav was not that hard for me but time was critical on that one.
Bottom line is to feel confident that you have the skills and if you don't then get the training and put in the time.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 13:05   #30

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
spend a day filling out the forms and get a 6 pack. They feel of you and if you are warm and can copy the rules of the road they give you one.
Last I looked, 6-Pack license requires 360 days on the water. Not just "fill out the forms". Of course, people lie about that, I realize.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance