Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2012, 11:37   #1

Boat: Seawind 1160 Catamaran
New Lagoon 45 vs 2nd Hand 44

Would like to hear from others that are considering the same. With the rising $Aud, a new 45 direct from France is looking very attractive. In parallel have been keeping an eye on 2nd hand 44s but they seem to be selling very quickly, mostly taken by Australian buyers according to the brokers I have been dealing with.

Cheers

Drew
Lagoon hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 03:30   #2

Re: New Lagoon 45 vs 2nd Hand 44

Hi, we recently considered the choice between a used 440 or a new 450. In the end, we decided to buy the new lagoon 450. The reasons for our choice were:

* at the time we were looking, there were more 4 cabin, ex charter than 3 cabin, privately owned on the market and we were keen for a 3 cabin, never chartered which at the time were scarce. (not sure of the market today).

* I liked the idea of the newer model as if you buy early and they are popular, they hold their value better than buying towards the end of model life.

* intended to live aboard for a good 10 years and thought a newer boat would last longer and might even not need to replace sails and major items (cross fingers)

* New helm steps down were preferred and figured that the other improvements from the 440 were good.

* Good fx rate from Australia made the price differential smaller than normal.

* a bit of fear of buying second hand, can we trust the surveyor in a foreign country? We heard some horror stories That did scare us.

* as there weren't any used 440s in Australia, we would have to buy overseas. That adds to cost of import duty, gst, crew to help bring it back, etc.

We absolutely love our 450 and are glad of our choice , now that we have owned her for a few months.
Old 23-01-2012, 08:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon hound View Post
Would like to hear from others that are considering the same. With the rising $Aud, a new 45 direct from France is looking very attractive. In parallel have been keeping an eye on 2nd hand 44s but they seem to be selling very quickly, mostly taken by Australian buyers according to the brokers I have been dealing with.

Cheers

Drew
There are 2 Lagoon 440's on the market in Maryland. Both are solid, well equipped boats!!! Turnkey. I am not in the market but love to stay on top of what is out there. Just a thought for you. Do you have any contact information?

Cheers
cats4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 19:48   #4

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearHorizons View Post
We absolutely love our 450 and are glad of our choice , now that we have owned her for a few months.

Hi and congratulations on getting a great your new vessel... I read on the other thread here about how wet the deck and table outside the salon are in the rain... has this been an issue with your usage ? I guess the 440's apparently stay dryer ? It is nice to be able to sit outside during light rain and stay dry... so kinda bummed out that the new 450 has this issue...

Thanks for your thoughts on this...

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:52   #5

We too like sitting on the deck on a rainy day protected by the elements. We also saw the comment on the rain and have not experienced the same extent of the rain on the back deck as shown in the video clip but we have probably not been in such heavy rain.

In light rains, there is a bit of water that might get on the furthest back seat but I have sat on the back deck in the seat next to the door without getting wet at all. In medium rains, we get rain on the furthest back and the port side seat. We have never seen any rain on the table - I would guess that on a very windy day, it could get damp.

We have the factory supplied clears which I think lessen the impact of the rain (even when they are rolled up). When they are rolled down, we don't get much rain inside except on very stormy days with heavy rains.

We are experimenting with the idea of an inexpensive small gutter around the roof or a strip of rubber which will divert the rain which we think will probably solve the issue.

Tags
lagoon