Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2016, 05:05   #106

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: NEW LAGOON 42 coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclmck View Post
Did you have a sail on the 42 after the show
no, did not get a chance.

My estimate is reaching is strong point because of increased slot. Downwind as well as larger jib is more versatile.

Very nice boat.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 06:40   #107

Boat: Lagoon 42

As for the price increase, I was told that Lagoon usually raises prices somewhere around May. The 42 was introduced in late January, and February here in the USA in Miami. The May price increase was a bit soon, having just rolled out the new model. My guess is that they waited a bit to raise prices, and that way get the ball rolling first. The annual price increase was around 5% I was told, and this price increase was actually a bit less than that at 4.5%. Not 10 percent. But, if they do another price increase on schedule next year, in May, another 5% would make the base boat around 10% more than when it was introduced just 16 months prior! The price increase also affects all of the "options", which are actually not options really, they are necessary. By the time you start with the base price and add some basic "options", the boat becomes much more costly. If you then add 5 or 10 percent increases in price to the higher, optioned out version, then of course the cost of the boat goes up much faster! The obvious thing to do is to buy now, if you plan to buy at all. Oh, the other manufactures also increase the prices of their boats, and all of them are acutely aware of there own costs and sales data, as well as the competition. Buying a Pajot or Robertson gets more costly every year too.
Personally, I think as compared to the other large catamaran builders boats, the 42 is a great buy, and is going to hold it's value particularly well over the next few years. Especially if you get in now, and they continue to sell them at the pace they have. For example, the prior 42 sold somewhere around 250?? boats total in almost 9 years of production. It has been replaced by a new 42 that has sold almost 200 boats in just over 6 months! No wonder they raised the price!
Chris
SV Saltrun
Saltrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 05:38   #108

Boat: FP Elba 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanSand View Post
Do keep us posted peterp!!

Nice to hear that they might rework the helm seat, and disapointed if they will not add an option for two sinks!

We have hull nr 131 on order, and have been promised delivery July 1. next year. Just saw that saltrun has got his OM, so I will promptly contact my broker and hassle him...announcing loudly how grossly unfair it has that I haven't got one as well

PS! Have inside information that the L42 will be passing hull nr 200 in september. Not bad considering we just met the boat in Dusseldorf!
We joined the Lagoon folk at the Spit on Sydney Harbour, the day was good, strong winds around 20 knots up to 33 knots overcast showers in area. Initially the Lagoon rep took the helm doing a good job of manoeuvring out of the mooring and setting the sail I took the opportunity of taking some photos of the plotter displaying wind strength, angle and SOG which you can see attached. My turn at the wheel was enjoyable the 42S felt light and responsive, the self tacker made tacking easy, I was very keen to see how well this new model would perform given the 16 knot promotional video firmly in my memory, alas I did not see 16 knots but I did see 10.5 in 33 knots of wind, (note I have saved photos by the SOG) the majority of this short test sail displayed SOG of about 5.5 to 10.5 knots in winds of 18 to 33 knots, the craft felt a touch faster than my L400 however in the those conditions the L400 would be very close to the above numbers on the day. The main things I liked about the L42S were the self-tacker, the extra room around the steering station, the stairs leading to the upper deck also provided another defacto seat, the general ease of moving around the decks and pleasant living areas, and the Bimini hard roof. With respect to the sliding bimini roof I rather felt it was a bit stiff to retract, but one may get used to that, when closed it is quite pleasant to look through an effectively rather large sun roof with an excellent view of the sail but I couldn’t help wondering if a sun shade might be in order particularly up north. The negatives are in my view are the lack of storage space in the outer saloon area there are only two small storage bins under the seats one takes up two gas tanks, leaving only one more for anything else, there was an outside fridge freezer under the helm if one left that out that space would help. The helm seat is exactly the same as my L400 without the arm rests, basic at best. The Galley, only one sink, very limited storage in the bench, with one draw, one cupboard, the overhead cupboards over the sink are about the same as the L400, they are duplicated on the port side but very little depth on those, good only for a few cups / glasses the second one is almost impossible to reach, there are numerous storage cubby holes (for want of a better description) which will be useful for small items but in the real living on board world will look very untidy, perhaps some smoked plastic doors might help here, There is a bench on the port side it has one normal fridge at one end and a top loader fridge freezer, (option) Lagoon have installed some useful under floor storage suitable for cans etc. The port hull has two heads one for each bedroom, for me I would only have one head the space saved would allow some hanging storage as in the L400, (but not an option) the starboard owners hull has a nice pleasant spacious feel. The escape hatches are accessed by removing the steps not sure how that would work in a real world emergency. Two 300 litre water tanks are provided one of which you would lose should you choose to fit a factory gen set. Two fuel tanks 300 ltr each. In summary the L42S is a very nice craft well finished, sails well, very modern design. Negatives, single sink in the galley, and requires more storage, (the salon seat whilst not ideal could be used for extra galley storage) the outside saloon lacking in storage, losing 300 litre of water if one chooses to fit a factory gen set. I should mention that the French Lagoon rep advised they have a better steering seat design in the works, and they had worked hard to reduce weight. I especially went to the SBS to check out the 42S as a possible replacement for my L400 but must say I was a bit disappointed with the shortcomings as I see it, as nice a craft as it is the advantages aren’t compelling enough for me to change at this point, the L400 is still an outstanding design. Of course just my thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.5.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	129603   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.6.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	129604  

Name:	9.3.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	129605   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.4.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	129606  

Name:	10.5.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	129607   Click image for larger version

Name:	sail.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	129608  

peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 07:08   #109

I know everyone likes to check out speeds on the Cats but it seems that all the test sails are done when the Cat is very light and the speeds do not even come close to representing the Cats performance in real world (loaded) situations. Its too bad that the test sails could not be done in cruising weights so some real numbers could be reported.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 00:05   #110

Boat: Lagoon 42 2017 and a BB17, 23 ' 1962 racer

Peterp ! Thank you very much indeed for that excellent reportConditions seemed perfect (like a norwegian summer day ) for testing her out.

I was especially pleased by the fact that they seemed to have moved the RPM ind./engine panels up among the rest of the instruments were they belong, on the instrument panel. As I am an airline captain by profession I like to see some of the philosophies long since adopted by the aviation industry applied, as far as accessability and presenting information is concerned. Do you know if that is going to be their new standard?

U didn't say much about her loading (dinghie, full fuel tanks, water etc.) but she was probably not at a "crossing oceans cruising trim". That being said, I felt that close to 9 kts on awa's close to 50 degrees is decent. Also touching 10 kts on a reach with aws around 22 kts using white sails only, seems respectable (at least to this silly norwegian, who have spent only two weeks captaining a catamaran!!)

It seems reasonable that, if one was in a regatta kind of mood, and hoisted a code zero/gennaker in the same conditions...perhaps even eased off into a broad reach, you might have touched higher double digit figures.

At any rate, thanks again for the report! Having just lost my chance to testsail the L42 up the fjord to Oslo, (dealer just sold his demo boat to a german fellow! Good for him, sorry for me ) at least it was VERY nice to hear such a qualified report.

Brgds
Oddvar
ObiWanSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 01:34   #111

Boat: FP Elba 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanSand View Post
Peterp ! Thank you very much indeed for that excellent reportConditions seemed perfect (like a norwegian summer day ) for testing her out.

I was especially pleased by the fact that they seemed to have moved the RPM ind./engine panels up among the rest of the instruments were they belong, on the instrument panel. As I am an airline captain by profession I like to see some of the philosophies long since adopted by the aviation industry applied, as far as accessability and presenting information is concerned. Do you know if that is going to be their new standard?

U didn't say much about her loading (dinghie, full fuel tanks, water etc.) but she was probably not at a "crossing oceans cruising trim". That being said, I felt that close to 9 kts on awa's close to 50 degrees is decent. Also touching 10 kts on a reach with aws around 22 kts using white sails only, seems respectable (at least to this silly norwegian, who have spent only two weeks captaining a catamaran!!)

It seems reasonable that, if one was in a regatta kind of mood, and hoisted a code zero/gennaker in the same conditions...perhaps even eased off into a broad reach, you might have touched higher double digit figures.

At any rate, thanks again for the report! Having just lost my chance to testsail the L42 up the fjord to Oslo, (dealer just sold his demo boat to a german fellow! Good for him, sorry for me ) at least it was VERY nice to hear such a qualified report.

Brgds
Oddvar
Ok Oddvar, we have something in common I have been flying for the last 35 odd years as a private pilot I have owned a Piper Senaca, a Beech Baron and the most enjoyable a Cessna 180, now just sailing now and then. I do agree with having all the instruments in view as I have had plenty of IFR experience, I do think this is the new presentation of the instrument cluster. One thing I would like to see from my aviation experience is a fuel transfer pump, this is something Leopard of installed on there panel good thing in my view. No question it was light, I should have checked the water / fuel on board but forgot, POB two couples plus three others, if one was to use standard aviation weights of 80KG that is 560 kg of souls on board, and little else certainly not all the stuff I and most others would have, tools, spare this and that not to mention her wardrobe, and a slab of Vic bitter, and a dozen bottles of red. No one had much experience on the 42S, me non at all so it is fair to say that a owner with some currency on type would do a better job. Any way I was trying to report a balanced opinion rather than just speed.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 02:46   #112

Boat: TBA

Hi PeterP, thankyou for the comments on the boat , can i ask you a question though, if you didn't own a 400 which would you think you would buy a cheaper 400 or the more expensive 42
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 07:56   #113

The dash panel is a definite improvement over the original presentation. Having the engine display there is a no brainer, but also the black plexiglass trim around the instrumentation gives it a much cleaner look. This is the first I have seen of this, and it really looks nice.
Chris
SV Saltrun
Old 19-08-2016, 08:04   #114

Boat: a sailing boat

300 l default fresh water tank is a joke. Not even good for a one day out charter.

It is a 6 clients charter boat. Water tank size is Mickey Mouse at best.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 08:28   #115

300 liters is around 80 gallons, another tank is available if you don't get a generator. My plan is to get another 40 gallon tank behind the generator for around 120 gallons.
How much water do you normally use in a day? We cruised for months on our last catamaran and used around 30 gallons a day average. This works well, as you really need to operate a watermaker every few days. Perhaps you need more water than this, I would buy something else if I were you.
Chris
SV Saltrun
Old 19-08-2016, 09:16   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltrun View Post
300 liters is around 80 gallons, another tank is available if you don't get a generator. My plan is to get another 40 gallon tank behind the generator for around 120 gallons.
How much water do you normally use in a day? We cruised for months on our last catamaran and used around 30 gallons a day average. This works well, as you really need to operate a watermaker every few days. Perhaps you need more water than this, I would buy something else if I were you.
Chris
SV Saltrun
The drawn layout shows 6 or 8 berths. And how many gallons a day I use is irrelevant as I am not sailing a 42 ft cat.

Think about how much an average charter client uses per day. Then multiply by 6 or 8. What do you get?

I get the following:

6 guests x 50 liters (two showers and minimal dishwashing) = 300 liters.

And so the boat will have to go to the dock every day to re-water.

Even in an offshore, 2-crew, scenario I do not think 300 liters to be good enough. You say "another water tank possible, if you do not get a generator". Now if you do not get a generator, how do you run the watermaker. And if you do run the generator (no extra tank) then where do you store the water you make?

I think a 300 liters water tank is a far cry from how much water people use. I mean normal people, not long term cruisers that have acquired a specific set of skills/attitudes.

The boat is clearly aimed at the charter fleet, not at long range, long term committed cruisers.

b.
Old 19-08-2016, 09:33   #117

I think you are right, you are irrelevant. Like I said, buy something else, something with a huge water tank, because that is the most important thing to you. For us, knowing what we use, running a watermaker for 90 mins every other day, is plenty of water. When at the dock, which we don't do much, water is not an issue. Besides, if you drink more rum, you don't need so much water!
Chris
SV Saltrun
Old 19-08-2016, 12:00   #118

Boat: Lagoon 42 2017 and a BB17, 23 ' 1962 racer

Peterp! Pilots and sailing seem to go hand in hand and I feel likewise as far as enjoyable aircraft goes. I flew a Piper Super Cub on tundra wheels for the Fish and Game department in Juneau, SE Alaska way back when. I can asure you that was a blast!! yet again, thanks for the report on her sailing performance.

Saltrun and Barnakiel is touching on an issue I have spent some time considering. I friend of mine is a former cruise boat captain, and he claimed, rather vehemently, that you can never get enough fresh water on board. In fact your life may depend on it! (or customer satisfaction may depend on it...which may have amounted to the same thing for him )

Me and my wife, and our three kids recently spent a week on a Bavaria 44, cruising from Tromsø to Bodø enjoying the boat and spending water lavishly. I believe the boat had a total capacity of just short of 300 l. We spent every night in port, and topped up a couple of times from shore facilities. This is highly anecdotal of course, but I felt that with the 65 l/h watermaker that is the option on the L42 we could have kept it going for weeks without having to get shorewater. And as we all know, the best way to maintain a watermaker is to keep it in frequent use.

This brings us over to the power issue... We are of a mind to try to spec the vessel to be as fossil fuel independent as possible. That would mean dropping the genset, and opting in massive amounts of solar power instead. I will also research further the possibility of mounting a batterybank using LiFePo technology. Exchanging the engine's alternators with beefed up 120 Amp alternators, perhaps even bigger! This will enable very short charging times for the batterybanks, perhaps the manouvering under engine for a call to port...or preferably to anchor in far away places, would see the banks fully charged after sailing. At least I have read reports of that. I know Mr. Calder is not much in favour of this tech, claiming it is to dangerous... but I also have several friends who are car mechanics. They claim this tech is old news, well tried and tested in the automobile industry...and I will not repeat what one of them said when I mentioned most sailors still use lead batteries

This could easily become a very long post...so I will just send it out there to test the waters, so to speak.

brgds,
Oddvar
ObiWanSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 16:56   #119

I am 100% with you. There are many ways a boat can be used, and many 'water budgets' that will start at our 1 gallon a day (per two) and the sky is the limit.

I must ask my charter friends in le Marin how much water tankage their current fleet has and how often they come to the dock to replenish.

BTW a Catana 43 old model had a 200 gal tank by default.

Cheers,
b.
Old 19-08-2016, 18:51   #120

I'm not too concerned about the water capacity of the 42. We will install a water maker and a second, smaller 40 gallon tank (we will have the genset). Hopefully the water maker can be plumbed to the smaller tank. We will use a transfer pump between tanks, unless we can find a placement for the second tank to take advantage of gravity. We want to have the ability to use the smaller tank to top off the larger tank as needed. By keeping the water separate until we are ready to transfer we hope to reduce the chances for contaminating the main tank should the water maker (membrane) fail. I've seen examples of this type of setup on several cruising boats. Instead of keeping lots of water in one very large tank or multiple tanks, the idea is to keep the weight down, ensure (as much as possible) only sweet water in the main tank (which will be the only tank plumbed directly to the boats water circuit), and use the water maker at least a couple of times per week.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
lagoon