Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2017, 09:16   #1

Boat: have sail and power
Send a message via Yahoo to yachtski
pirate NEW Lagoon 42

There has to be some of us that have sailed or own a new L42 that can talk about actual sea keeping and performance not opinions ...Bridge deck clearance some say is an issue. We all know the reviews that are from the dock or shows. Oh the post is in the way or the foresail is to small It would be better to tack. ( I thought I'd modify a couple of tracks, jib sheets and a sweet Genoa. a dealer says they have done this .Others say it's not possible.) How come we cant find some actual tests or some "un biased" delivery people that have sailed one. There is supposed to be a lot out there already. It also seems that they are now cored, not solid below the waterline as the 420's .. I would like to know before the 400 k plunge..
Beam Breezes and Cats paws ... Capt.Boot 50 gt Masters
yachtski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:55   #2

Re: NEW Lagoon 42

After the boat show">Annapolis boat show I sailed on a Voyage 480 across to Bermuda and we were accompanied by a Lagoon 42 with an experienced professional captain. We had a decent storm one night with 40kn + winds and big seas. The captain of the 42 was very impressed with the boat. I know this is probably not the detailed info you were looking for but was a thumbs up from a seasoned professional
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 13:14   #3

Boat: LAGOON 400

have not sailed one but i am certain in this:

to get good balanced performance, you will need lots of light wind sails and ready to use them.

Gennaker would be top of my list.

Then you will have to learn how to trim sails.

And then one day you will be able to do 16 kn in 23 true.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 16:01   #4

Boat: Pogo 10,50

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
And then one day you will be able to do 16 kn in 23 true.

Works best with a blue sail from incidences
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 16:25   #5

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42 Catamaran

https://youtu.be/d1EKHYTEfnQ

This is the best review out there so far. Not an actual review but just a video of his journey. About an hour of video from West coast France to Ibiza. He's got a couple more videos on his channel as well.

https://www.facebook.com/NaosYachtsSales/

The Journey on the ARC on a lagoon 42 was journaled about on this Facebook page.

I will try and post more once I have been on mine more. So far very happy with the purchase and looking forward to some trips. Delivery crew from Vancouver to Seattle had a good trip and complimented the boat.

Only way to really find out is to charter one yourself though. Lots, including mine, are starting to become available.
Water Dragon 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 17:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CbroTheDude View Post
Works best with a blue sail from incidences
Just like in the movie!
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 14:44   #7

I own L42 hull #44. We sailed her for 14 days in Guadeloupe with frequent conditions of 35 knot breeze and 3m swells. We had no issues with pounding or bridgedeck clearance going upwind. Overall the sailing performance was superior to other catamarans I have chartered including Lagoon 400, and FP 41 Lipari. We are very pleased.
SFlagoonowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 13:43   #8

Boat: Lagoon L42

Thanks for the post SFlagoonowner! Did you have a Code 0 or any other non-OEM sails? Any other impressions you'd be willing to share?
We don't get ours to later on this year.
RoadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 14:23   #9

Yes, we ordered a Code zero, which I highly recommend, as it dramatically improves performance off the wind. The boat handles very well, and performs well off the wind (as you would expect with a Cat). I like the "mast aft" configuration as it enables a more powerful, and easy to control self tacking jib making single handing easier. As a lifetime mono-hull owner, it has taken me a while to get use to the upwind characteristics of the cat. Having said this, i find the L42 superior upwind to the FP 41 Lipari we chartered in the BVI. Quality and fit/finish are very good with a few minor issues that have been rectified. Having said this, no boat is perfect. For instance, with a GenSet installed there is only room for 1 water tank which is not sufficient. Since we Charter the boat at times, I have not installed a water-maker yet. I would like to see more storage in the cockpit area. In summary, I am very pleased with the boat.
SFlagoonowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon