Better late then never, so here's how I installed my solar
panels. The plan was to keep everything simple with a minimum of welding. As you can see, it would be easy to modify this design if you wanted to be able to tilt the panels. I used two Victron MPPT
75/15 controllers and a Watt Wizard to monitor
the output. Total investment was only $1200 bucks. The tubing and aluminum flat bar was sourced at Access Metals
. The fittings were sourced at Marine Part Depot
. The small braces I found at Bacon Sails
, a consignment shop in Annapolis
. Hope this helps...
These are the brackets that mount to the davits
. Using this design will also allow you to tilt the panels if you wish.
The rear mount consists of aluminum tubing and aluminum flat bar. This is the only welding I needed. Shop around the welding. One place quoted me $400 bucks! I ended up paying $70.
A close up of the rear mount attachment.
These hinged tee's saved a ton of work
and worked great.
Here you can see the new cross piece, the new upright support and the small angle brace for the new upright. The bend in the cross brace was done using a propane
the tubing to a cherry red. I didn't think the propane
would get it hot enough, but it did. This saved a lot of money
from having it bent at a shop. It's this area that you could modify to allow tilting panels.
Here are all the panel mounts in place.
This is the piece that connects the panels to the front mounts.
A close up of the that piece.
Ready for the panels to be mounted.
Looking underneath at the panel mounts.
The panels all mounted and ready to produce!