Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2019, 08:51   #1

Lagoons made by CNB vs Beneteau...?

I'm considering a second-hand Lagoon in the range of 44-50 feet as an option for our planned long-term cruise. I heard somewhere that some Lagoons are made by CNB while others are made by the same yard that makes the Beneteau monohulls.

Is this correct? If so, which models are made where? And does it make any difference in terms of quality etc?
Zamba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:11   #2

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Re: Lagoons made by CNB vs Beneteau...?

Lagoons are the worst catamarans out there .
They are well build and strong boats but they have been designed for the charter business , party on deck high bridges and dangerous for ocean crossing (not that they don't do it but other cats can perform better and be more comfy and safe ).
If you plan to circumnavigate is better to get another design .
If you have a model in mind send the hull number to beneteau to find out where it was build .

P.s they don't sail well too , on 50 degrees I had one lagoon passing behind me doing 5.5 to 6 knots while my 26 mono was doing 5 to 5.5 on 18-22 knots of wind both boats with full sails and they where amazing well trimmed .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
Lagoons are the worst catamarans out there .
They are well build and strong boats but they have been designed for the charter business , party on deck high bridges and dangerous for ocean crossing (not that they don't do it but other cats can perform better and be more comfy and safe ).
If you plan to circumnavigate is better to get another design .
If you have a model in mind send the hull number to beneteau to find out where it was build .

P.s they don't sail well too , on 50 degrees I had one lagoon passing behind me doing 5.5 to 6 knots while my 26 mono was doing 5 to 5.5 on 18-22 knots of wind both boats with full sails and they where amazing well trimmed .
Seriously? This is your response? Don't you have better things to do than troll this forum?
mdhanlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:35   #4

If you read my post you will see that I offer him a solution to his question .
Sharing my opinion can't be considered trolling
Old 04-03-2019, 15:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamba View Post
I'm considering a second-hand Lagoon in the range of 44-50 feet as an option for our planned long-term cruise. I heard somewhere that some Lagoons are made by CNB while others are made by the same yard that makes the Beneteau monohulls.

Is this correct? If so, which models are made where? And does it make any difference in terms of quality etc?

I would suggest you join the Lagoon Facebook forum, you will get far more useful information from Lagoon owners than antagonistic commentary from persons unknown.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:27   #6

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
If you read my post you will see that I offer him a solution to his question .
Sharing my opinion can't be considered trolling
I agree, just sounds like you wish you had a cat.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:38   #7

Boat: Amel 50

We spent 3 seasons in the S. Pacific on our Lagoon 450. We always felt safe even in the worst open ocean storms we've ever experienced. The L450 took care of my wife and myself. We would not hesitate to do it again on the same boat. In my opinion, the Lagoon is the best value for the money. That is one of the reasons Beneteau (parent company) sells so many of them, even compared to other manufacturers.

Regarding CNB vs Beneteau manufacturing, I believe, the larger (50+ feet) catamarans are built at a different location. I do not know if there are any quality differences but I would think they are built with similar quality specs.

Find the model you like and go for it! Enjoy life!
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
I agree, just sounds like you wish you had a cat.
But I allready have a cat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0751.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	187255  
Old 05-03-2019, 14:30   #9

Quote:
But I allready have a cat
Nice Kitty.

Does your cat like to play?

Our Tom might welcome a playmate. Would you mind if he came aboard your boat?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	187310  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 19:07   #10

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
I would suggest you join the Lagoon Facebook forum, you will get far more useful information from Lagoon owners than antagonistic commentary from persons unknown.
Yes & no, i am afraid a lagoon forum is biased to lagoons, it takes a long time until someone will agree he spend ½ million or more for a beautiful houseboat w some sailing capabilities. Even worse, the earlier Privileges, due to the central front cabin there is no view ahead. I know one, about 50' and 5 separate airconds + appropriate genset, all electric captive winches, owner circumnavigated happily in comfort. Nothing wrong with it.

Then my cat weighs 7000kg, 14000kg sail smoother

Else I do not read anything wrong in that antagonistic commentary from persons unknown.
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 21:03   #11

Boat: Lagoon 42 TPI

The OP asked a specific question about the different models and where made. The question was on this forum’s “Lagoon Catamaran” page. I appreciate there are people out there who don’t like Lagoon catamarans, but there is no need to attack the brand with comments that are not relevant to the OPs question.
“worst catamarans out there” “houseboat w some sailing abilities” .... if you don’t like Lagoon catamarans, don’t look at the posts on theforum’s Lagoon pages.
I agree with Bean Counter, the Lagoon Facebook page is a good place to gather information about Lagoons. They offer help and answers, not Lagoon bashing.
I can’t answer the OPs question but was interested to know the answer, not read the unqualified comments.
MoorOrLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:11   #12

Boat: Lagoon 450S

We own and live on our Lagoon 450S. Cross from Virginia USA to the Caribbean and back. We found the boat very comfortable and safe. Don't know about manufacturer locations, except as already noted, I think the bigger boats are made in a different location. I would assume the quality is the same. Probably the only difference could be a boat manufactured before Beneteau bought Lagoon. Beneteau has huge purchasing power with it's vendors.
Old 07-03-2019, 00:54   #13

Boat: 450S

CNB, a ship yard is part of the Beneteau group. The group owns the Lagoon brand, 50ft and above Lagoons are constructed in the CNB yard in Bordeaux. The new Excess cats will also be built in the CNB yard
Pascals Wager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:27   #14

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

My apologies for the following post, it's decidedly negative towards the person who posted "Lagoons are the worst catamarans out there. They are well build and strong boats"...

I don't like to be negative, but that's a terrible post.
It's like saying "I'm as poor as a pauper, I've got 4 million in the bank!" But it won't buy me my mega yacht.

The first criteria for anyone buying an ocean crossing boat, should be "a well built and Strong boat", everything else is a bonus. So what if your boat isn't as fast as another? Yes, the other will avoid storms more easily, but so will a 747. Get over it. We can't all have the "fastest boat", every boat is a compromise.

Terrible boats those lagoons; they're well built and strong. I'd never suggest getting one.

I'd also like to include a short list, for the newbies, of other well known boats I'd suggest you avoid, as these are all well built, and strong too:

Corbin 39, Valiant, Island packet, Oyster, Halberg Rassey, Hinkley, Westsail, Ingrid, Alubat... They're all well built, but they're not as fast as some other boats, so are to be avoided.

Ok, you get my point.

The person who posted that statement has a right to his negativity, and to post such. I also have the same rights, so this is my rebuttal to what I consider to be a passive aggressive, and unhelpful, post.

And for the OP. I don't think you can go wrong with either yard. They both have lots of experience building boats. I think that you can safely avoid worrying about the specifics of which yard is the better yard. Enjoy your purchase experience, and get something that makes you smile.

Peace.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:55   #15

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
My apologies for the following post, it's decidedly negative towards the person who posted "Lagoons are the worst catamarans out there. They are well build and strong boats"...

I don't like to be negative, but that's a terrible post.
It's like saying "I'm as poor as a pauper, I've got 4 million in the bank!" But it won't buy me my mega yacht.

The first criteria for anyone buying an ocean crossing boat, should be "a well built and Strong boat", everything else is a bonus. So what if your boat isn't as fast as another? Yes, the other will avoid storms more easily, but so will a 747. Get over it. We can't all have the "fastest boat", every boat is a compromise.

Terrible boats those lagoons; they're well built and strong. I'd never suggest getting one.

I'd also like to include a short list, for the newbies, of other well known boats I'd suggest you avoid, as these are all well built, and strong too:

Corbin 39, Valiant, Island packet, Oyster, Halberg Rassey, Hinkley, Westsail, Ingrid, Alubat... They're all well built, but they're not as fast as some other boats, so are to be avoided.

Ok, you get my point.

The person who posted that statement has a right to his negativity, and to post such. I also have the same rights, so this is my rebuttal to what I consider to be a passive aggressive, and unhelpful, post.

And for the OP. I don't think you can go wrong with either yard. They both have lots of experience building boats. I think that you can safely avoid worrying about the specifics of which yard is the better yard. Enjoy your purchase experience, and get something that makes you smile.

Peace.
Paul.
http://www.construction-navale-borde...m/index_uk.php

according to their web site, all lagoons are built at CNB.

Tags
beneteau, lagoon