Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2020, 12:09   #1

Boat: Catana 47
Lagoon years/models to AVOID?

Are there Lagoon years and or models that people would recommend Avoiding? I'm looking to find out what years/models are prone to major issues.

My wife and I are looking to buy a Lagoon between 35-45' in two years. I'm able to spend 1-2 months of solid work and $150k all in before sailing with my family in the Caribbean and if all goes well a circumnavigation. We have moderate boat experience but this would be a leap.
Cknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 17:11   #2

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
Re: Lagoon years/models to AVOID?

If that’s your budget all in, you’ll most certainly be at the smallest and oldest of boats within that spectrum. The 38, however, is one of the nicest oa all small cats.

Good luck,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 17:11   #3

Not wanting to burst your dream, but for that amount of money, anything you find will require a lot of work.... which no matter how cheaply you find to do it, will ultimately cost you a lot of money.
offering $180k and you could negotiate a higher priced boat down to that. Would still need work, but hopefully very little critical stuff. You might get away with minimal expense for that up front, and then tackle the rest of the list as and when time/money/necessity allow...

just my 2 pennies
AndrewA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 17:53   #4

Boat: currently boatless

Gday C Knox,
We are onto our second Lagoon and to date we have not heard of any Lagoon having major issues with build, osmossis etc. That is not to say that some Lagoons dont have issues, all boats do. Most issues I have heard about are from some owners doing work that they are not just competent at doing or someone at the helm who had a non thinking moment .

Greg H
Lagoon 440
Oz
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 06:26   #5

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

at that price range you don't need to think which models / years to avoid because you will need a real bargain to find any Lagoons that can be cruise-ready for $150,000 "all in". Yes there are some $130k Lagoons on the market, but they all need lots of work.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, model