Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2017, 09:38   #31

Boat: Bertram 46.6 FBMY
Re: Lagoon Seventy 7

Hello,

Comprehensive insurance as a Hong Kong vessel is not over the top for the first 4 years,

I will never sail the vessel without 2 other mates (2 VIP cabins means 6 people in total on the vessel exploring this great planet)

With electronic MFD and nav kit, added with electronic winches... please don't tell others it can't be done unless you have been at the helm... I have, and an opinion is nothing to actual experience !!!

You are right in one aspect.... having 2 additional pairs of hands does make cleaning and waxing of the hulls a bit more easy, but in no way should you state an opinion of how many individuals it takes to navigate this gentle giant unless your hands have been at the helm, you controlled .

I know what I'm getting into, and have saved for many years. It fits my budget, and once I set sail there are no loans or worries... my yearly budget for diesel is not of concern, or my monthly allowance of retirement accounts should worry you.

I simply want to enjoy my retirement with wife and our mates we take on our many adventures.

In Hong Kong, we pay $35 USD a week for a boat wash (4 times a month), and one full hull wax/buff...

Period.

Alan
Hkalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 14:35   #32

In 2016 Thomas Coville aboard Sodebo Ultim a 102 foot Trimaran sailed solo around the world in 49 days 3 hours.

So how can you say, Quote: "IMO, and not so humbly, there is absolutely ZERO chance you can single hand that boat safely. It would take a pretty special crew to double hand it."

Given the right amount of talent and money almost anything is possible today.

Quote: "I simply want to enjoy my retirement with wife and our mates we take on our many adventures."

Good luck and safe travels with your plans Alan and thanks for sharing them with us. I for one find the up scaled electrical engineering interesting.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 16:22   #33
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
In 2016 Thomas Coville aboard Sodebo Ultim a 102 foot Trimaran sailed solo around the world in 49 days 3 hours.

So how can you say, Quote: "IMO, and not so humbly, there is absolutely ZERO chance you can single hand that boat safely. It would take a pretty special crew to double hand it."

Given the right amount of talent and money almost anything is possible today.

Quote: "I simply want to enjoy my retirement with wife and our mates we take on our many adventures."

Good luck and safe travels with your plans Alan and thanks for sharing them with us. I for one find the up scaled electrical engineering interesting.
I'm wondering how many times Mr. Corville docked that boat by himself. How many times did he anchor the boat by himself. What is the displacement of that boat in comparison to a Lagoon 77? Total apples and oranges comparison. What if the main halyard gets jammed? What if you wrap a crab pot around a prop on a lee shore? Literally an fool can single hand a boat successfully, but do it 100 times in a boat this size - well, whatever. I guess he doesn't actually plan to be alone.
Old 04-06-2017, 16:37   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkalan View Post
Hello,

Comprehensive insurance as a Hong Kong vessel is not over the top for the first 4 years,

I will never sail the vessel without 2 other mates (2 VIP cabins means 6 people in total on the vessel exploring this great planet)

With electronic MFD and nav kit, added with electronic winches... please don't tell others it can't be done unless you have been at the helm... I have, and an opinion is nothing to actual experience !!!

You are right in one aspect.... having 2 additional pairs of hands does make cleaning and waxing of the hulls a bit more easy, but in no way should you state an opinion of how many individuals it takes to navigate this gentle giant unless your hands have been at the helm, you controlled .

I know what I'm getting into, and have saved for many years. It fits my budget, and once I set sail there are no loans or worries... my yearly budget for diesel is not of concern, or my monthly allowance of retirement accounts should worry you.

I simply want to enjoy my retirement with wife and our mates we take on our many adventures.

In Hong Kong, we pay $35 USD a week for a boat wash (4 times a month), and one full hull wax/buff...

Period.

Alan
Alan,
I have been on several large catamarans, mine, a Privilege 76, and a Catana 582. Also, my friend was the captain of Mashua Bluu for 3 years. They had 3 to 4 full time crew managing that boat, though it is bigger than the Lagoon. If your going to have a few mates with you then ok, but your original statement was "Does not require a crew. All winches are at the flybridge helm. Can easily be sailed by 1 person".

Your money is your money. I just wish I could get someone to wash my boat for $35 a week. Heck, it costs $2500 just to polish the outside hulls once a year. Guess they charge a lot more in Greece than HK. I really am sincere when I wish you good luck with this build out and look forward to you posting about the progress.
Old 04-06-2017, 16:49   #35
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hi Palaran,
One thing to consider when docking a large yacht is that once its displacement is over about 40 tons, you as the skipper is basically docking it ALONE!

No one can fend off or push against nature... so your skill and
experience is all about understanding the forces and you and the boats limitations, so as to not put any crew or dock staff in harms way.

Alan's boat will be above 80 tons, I regularly dock super yachts over 1800 tons, but the principal and responsibility is the same.
You dock as if you were alone.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 17:04   #36

Crock of crap. You don't have anyone who throws a line to shore? Sure your at the helm alone, but no one else is on the boat? Pelagic, I've seen as big of boats that can be docked - docked. The bigger they get, the more people involved - period.
Old 04-06-2017, 18:58   #37
CF Adviser

Of course someone throws a line and someone takes it, that was not my point.

You don't need big physical crew to dock with intelligence.

Alan and his wife can dock the boat when they become comfortable with the handling conditions.

I agree, he will probably decide to have a full time boat boy/ deck hand when cruising.

More so for tender runs and daily housekeeping.

In the Pacific /SE Asia, not so many marinas, more open Anchorage's, so having someone always on board and doing tender runs, protects the tender shoreside and adds security.

I have one full time Filipino crew on my 65ft mono and he more like a family member who is a big part of our shared enjoyment.
Old 04-06-2017, 19:31   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I have one full time Filipino crew on my 65ft mono and he more like a family member who is a big part of our shared enjoyment.
Does he have a brother who is looking for work? Man I need that
Old 04-06-2017, 20:18   #39
CF Adviser

Lots of Filipinos working in Greece, so maybe they know of someone.

Much easier for me here in Subic as I get to know their families and can encourage a long term commitment.
For example:

I hired my deck hand Julius in 2004 in Puerto Galera Mindoro
He had just finished a basic electronics, TV repair course but had no steady work.

Taught him to Sail, to drive a car, to Scuba Dive, to Navigate, Seamanship, to keep inventories and spreadsheets.
Paid for his courses in Marine Emergency Training/ First Aid and his annual review was always weighted by his accomplishments and improved English proficiency.

Traveling plans always included time for his own enjoyment and he really became an integral part to our freedom.

My wife and I certainly would not have enjoyed the boat the way we do, without Julius' help, but it is a two way street of commitment and Loyalty.

In 2013 when I began the major refit of Stargazer, I placed Julius on a Superyacht and began again to find a new crew.
Hated loosing him, but he was ready and he needed a bigger challenge.
I could also put him on with a good captain under direct hire.
His career is going really well!

Finally found the right replacement for Julius who already feels and treats the boat like it was his own.

Has his commercial watch keeping certificate but wants to apprentice with me for the next five years and be trained as an officer to work on Super yachts.

Our early days with Julius.[emoji4]

Click image for larger version

Name:	1496632209886.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	149188Click image for larger version

Name:	1496632225976.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	149189
Old 14-12-2017, 20:06   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Taught him to Sail, to drive a car, to Scuba Dive, to Navigate, Seamanship, to keep inventories and spreadsheets.
Paid for his courses in Marine Emergency Training/ First Aid and his annual review was always weighted by his accomplishments and improved English proficiency.

Traveling plans always included time for his own enjoyment and he really became an integral part to our freedom.
Can you elaborate how you structured his personal time around yours and did they ever coincide? How where resources affected (traveling, etc)?
darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 20:21   #41

Boat: Tom Colvin Doxy 41

Dilligaf, I love it!
kristjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 20:28   #42

Don’t sweat the mixed voltage, it is very common on bigger boats. Dedicate a solar to the 12 volt generator battery. And again for one of the engine 12 v batteries. Have AC smart charger for the engine batteries that will taper off when they are full. At the very worst , and likely never to happen, just use jumper cables from the dinghy to get the generator turned on. Don’t recommend 24/12 v converters, they overcharge the 12 volt battery, it took me some time to realize my 12v battery for VHF was draining my very large 24v bank and burning itself up. I switched vhf directly to converter and had no problems afterwards.
Old 14-12-2017, 20:35   #43

Forgot to mention, my experience was as captain on a Privilege 65, once owned a 72 mono, so I agree that if you practice you don’t need a crew. Now I work as a marine engineer on a LNG powered chemical tanker, (I think someone mentioned not seeing big boat owners or actual marine professionals on this forum). Good luck with the vessel.
Old 14-12-2017, 20:47   #44
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by darz View Post
Can you elaborate how you structured his personal time around yours and did they ever coincide? How where resources affected (traveling, etc)?
Hi Darz and welcome to CF!

It is always give and take on scheduling, but with the understanding that the boat and my cruising plans as the priority.

Generally working 11 months, with one month paid leave when convenient to both of us.

We don't watch the clock or pay overtime, but instead payback in other ways with additional paid leave if we have been busy.

Here in the Philippines, Family comes first, so if my crew has an issue and needs to go home, I work around it.
But barring any emergency, if they like the job and you, then loyalty and desire keeps them flexible

In General:
Whether it was professional Superyacht Crew or my own Filipino deckhand, the norm is that there are 3 modes:

Marina Standby.... Where the crew works 8 to 5 on maintenance and enjoys Saturday/Sunday off

Shipyard.... They work the same hours as Yard workers, usually 6 days/wk

Cruising: Watch system, seen as the time to enjoy along with us . Light on any maintenance, but heavy on the fishing.

Once we return to our base or a secure dock, they take some added time for themselves, or annual leave and bring in their own trusted Temp to cover their duties.

Obviously, with any crew, you need to be happy living with them (and visa-versa).

I find Filipinos incredibly easy and fun to get along with.
Old 15-12-2017, 21:22   #45

Thank you for the welcome and the response, Pelagic. May I ask what the yearly cost of keeping such a deckhand is?
darz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon