Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2017, 02:51   #16

Boat: Bertram 46.6 FBMY
Re: Lagoon Seventy 7

Hello,

Great feed back, thank you..

Since September 2016 this has been my plan...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DILLIGAF DC Kit.JPG
Views:	539
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	149080

But France says NO when I bought the kit in March !!!

Alan
Hkalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:03   #17

Keep in mind that 220w at 18v open circuit goes to each Gen bank !!!!
Old 03-06-2017, 03:08   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Good to see that with only 7830w of solar you have left "room to grow if needed" .

We don't often hear about the technical details of larger vessels like this. I hope you keep the forum up to date, particularly on the solutions to some of the system engineering problems.

I would love to hear more.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:13   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkalan View Post
Keep in mind that 220w at 18v open circuit goes to each Gen bank !!!!
Theoretical peak output. But those car-type alternators won't produce even half that much power continuously. They are designed to operate small vehicle electrical systems and to top off starter batteries. I would leave them in that role!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:17   #20

Hello,

Now I understand why my father told me in 1985... buy a boat that you feel obeys every turn of the wheel and every crank of the winch as you observe the shape of the sail, with or without computer technology.... otherwise your just buying a boat !!!

Getting that odd feeling now with my first "new built" vassal.... thinking about flying to the BVI's and seeing a few used 620's that want an adventure, and not a production line process from a factory assembly line !

Alan
Old 03-06-2017, 03:22   #21

If the factory won't build it as I want... why buy New and deal with depreciation !!!
Old 03-06-2017, 04:33   #22

Lagoon Seventy 7

Balmar alternators and voltage regulators are leap years in advancements to charging a wide range of battery types... this is not an AC Delco on a GM built greyhound bus !!
Old 03-06-2017, 04:55   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Theoretical peak output. But those car-type alternators won't produce even half that much power continuously. They are designed to operate small vehicle electrical systems and to top off starter batteries. I would leave them in that role!

Hello,

This is solar for gen sets....

Not an alternator !!

The Victron SmartSolar 150/100 leaves a wide range when all solar for the Gen goes to an 80 amp output combiner.

The boat is not built yet, and I am not sure of the real-estate for the 12v flexible panels I can epoxy to the forward Pilot house roof.

Be assured that any square metre I can put Solar, it will be there...

As well as 5 blade wind turbines on aft (port and STBD).

That controller is still net set for port or starboard !!! Any input is appreciated !!!

I have two 600 3/phase (38v) AC in hand, and am in negotiations for two 1,200w 5 blade 3/phase (38v) AC to a 24v rectifier if it will fit on the vessel.

I've been planning this vessel for 7 years !

Alan
Old 03-06-2017, 07:22   #24

Anyone recommend a quality wind turbine controller for 3/phase AC output (38v) to a rectifier to DC that is made for LiFePO4 banks, that will auto switch to AGM, or a water heater DC element. I have no doubt I can put together a voltage relay to switch between a LiFePO4 bank, to AGM, when that is Full, the relay switch to the water heater element, then if the water is hot, switch to a 1,800 resistor dump load to assure the wind turbine is always under load....
Old 03-06-2017, 07:32   #25
cruiser

First, there's no problem with a 24v house bank and 12v engine/genset start bank, that's what our boat has, and it can still be jump started if necessary.

Second, if your boat already has or is planned to have a large generator, I wouldn't bother to mess with wind turbines. They're noisy and will detract from the rest of your boat style wise. Your genset paired with a large enough charger will put more juice into your batteries in just an hour than your turbines can do in an entire windy day. Just use your generator which will only cost you a gallon of diesel per day.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:32   #26

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

I agree with Ken,

If you have that amount of solar panel capacity I would not bother with noisy wind generators casting unnessary shadows on my solar panels. The gen set is a backup that you probably will never use, unless you're cruising beyond the pole circle of course .
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:28   #27

Wise input !!!

On a wood boat the VAWT do not cause much noise or vibration that is perhaps due to wood hull, but fibreglass is a completely different animal !!

Alan
Old 03-06-2017, 18:44   #28
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

This is a funny thread. It will be interesting to see if your build works out. Why you would spend $5 million on a new boat and post on this forum, and more incredibly ask questions about the build process is weird.

IMO, and not so humbly, there is absolutely ZERO chance you can single hand that boat safely. It would take a pretty special crew to double hand it. Hell, it will be a full time job just keeping it clean.
Old 03-06-2017, 23:01   #29
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
This is a funny thread. It will be interesting to see if your build works out. Why you would spend $5 million on a new boat and post on this forum, and more incredibly ask questions about the build process is weird.

IMO, and not so humbly, there is absolutely ZERO chance you can single hand that boat safely. It would take a pretty special crew to double hand it. Hell, it will be a full time job just keeping it clean.
Palarran, I think you would be amazed by the professional talent within our CF membership.

From Captains and Project Managers of far more expensive yachts to service providers and engineers of all types of nautical equipment, the camaraderie to offer opinions not tainted with ulterior motives is a valuable cross check for Alan.

I am used to consulting with the top shipyards / subcontractors and manufacturers in the industry, but still learn a great deal here from technically brilliant boat owners who can think outside the box.

I am also quite sure with Alan being based in HK, he will have considered the staff management for domestic maintenance of his yacht.......
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:04   #30
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Palarran, I think you would be amazed by the professional talent within our CF membership.

From Captains and Project Managers of far more expensive yachts to service providers and engineers of all types of nautical equipment, the camaraderie to offer opinions not tainted with ulterior motives is a valuable cross check for Alan.

I am used to consulting with the top shipyards / subcontractors and manufacturers in the industry, but still learn a great deal here from technically brilliant boat owners who can think outside the box.

I am also quite sure with Alan being based in HK, he will have considered the staff management for domestic maintenance of his yacht.......
Pelagic,
I've been here a few years so can and do appreciate the members knowledge, both individually and collectively. By observation though, I've never seen a member show ownership of a boat even close to a Lagoon 77 nor read a captain or project manager of builds that are much larger than this yacht. Maybe I missed the threads.

The Lagoon has 2,772 sf of perimeter space. Palarran has 1456 sf. The internal volume of the Lagoon is probably 4x Palarrans. It's hard to see how you can single hand sail a boat this large safely, especially easily.

Alan,
Having a catamaran that is 75% smaller than your new build, I can tell you for certain that if you plaster solar panels all over every square foot of space, you might be able to power the boat during the day. But IMO it will also take away about $2 million of the value of the boat. Same with wind generators. That's why no boats this size bother. Are you going to charter the boat? The running costs are going to be huge. I'm sure you know that in general it's 10% of the value, so $500k per year. Maybe if you work on it day and night you can keep that lower but it's still one dang expensive machine. That's past my budget, but I do think the boat looks great.

It will be interesting what your insurance company requests for crew, if any.

Here is another great video of the boat:

Tags
lagoon